+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default when do you decide to give up BF?

It depends. Last week when he was doing cluster feeding. He Just demanded feed all the time. The overall did add up to 120ml. Now he is back to 1.5--2.5hr sleep with 120ml. I suspect the fast flow teat is causing the problem as well.

Yes I also thought that's a lot. Last night he came off for boobs screaming for more. My supply isn't constant. Sometime more. Sometime less. So hard to tell.
    Last edited by bbhope; 26-10-2015 at 18:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your supply wont be constant with the top ups. It will take 1-3 days of all day feeding to get your supply to match your bub s needs. How is motilium going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually think your boobs have enough milk but your milk flow is slower than the bottle and he is getting frustrated with the boob and hence screaming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I agree about the slow flow boobs. I was able to pump up to 120ml in one go this morning. Morning boobs are fuller. He didn't wake up so I decided to pump first. But it varies. By the end of the day, I hardly get 20ml pumping.

Is there a way to solve slow flow problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Its not really a problem, its just confusing for the baby if sometimes the bottle flows faster, and sometimes the boob is slower. This is the problem with mix feeding (combining boob and bottle) because it can make the baby feel frustrated with having to work to get milk out of the breast when its 'easier' with the bottle.

Have you tried just going a few days boob only and letting baby cluster feed to bump things up?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Yes. I agree about the slow flow boobs. I was able to pump up to 120ml in one go this morning. Morning boobs are fuller. He didn't wake up so I decided to pump first. But it varies. By the end of the day, I hardly get 20ml pumping.

Thanks
    Reviews

Evenings your milk is low volume yet high fat ( to help bub sleep longer) plus with lower hormone levels you will always get less milk in the afternoon/evening compared to mornings. Try pumping at 4am. I used to get 150-200ml then. But less than 10ml at 5pm.

Thanks
    Reviews

Lose the bottle or get a slow flow teat. Medela calma mimics boob flow as in the stop start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Lose the bottle or get a slow flow teat. Medela calma mimics boob flow as in the stop start.
    I second the medela Calma teats. Might take a few goes to adjust to, but helped us a lot when DS was guzzling his EBM. Slowed him down massively!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We use the Medela calma teats, they are great. We rarely bottle feed now.

I would stop any supplementing and let him be on the boob for a few days and see how he goes. Its very normal at his age to cluster feed, but dont worry it doesn't last forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've read some replies..but not all. but in answer to your first question: when you're ready.

I have low supply. I've seen an ibclc and done everything to boost my supply...twice...with no luck. (My bubs never gain weight and dry nappies)

My first...i didn't have enough info but we bf, topup, pump...every 3 hours around the clock for 4.5 months. its exhausting!! He refused to latch from there so i pumpes for 2 months... sometimes getting as little as 10ml.

My second...i educated myself while pregnant. i done everything i possibly could to try and exclusively feed bub. If he sighed, woke up, cried, smacked lips, rooted around, or sucked his hands...he was fed....
    i had even the ob/gyn and mws puzzled with how often we were feeding, yet my body just does not meet the demand.. anyway, my bub is 7 months next week and we are still mix feeding. we have worked out a routine that works for us.

So... if you are ready to give up...do it. do what makes your life easier