+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son had a posterior tie (so far back) and everyone said he didn't have one until I finally found a fab lactation consultant who looked properly. His latch looked fab and he was getting plenty of milk so everyone said nothing was wrong but it was incredibly painful for me and it turns out because of his posterior tie he sucked super hard to stay latched and then his gums would be chomping down on my nipples since his tongue couldn't stretch out to cushion. But the pediatrician/midwives/health nurse all said nothing was wrong so I would look for somebody who actually specializes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take Scuba gals advice. Spot on!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone! I read the posts just can't reply personally.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boobs leak when I thought about feeding. I suppose this is a good sign. I know it is still not enough for bub. How long does you BF? I did the no bottle and pump thing few times and bub is screaming hungry. So I am back to BF, top up and pump (only during the day). I think I should keep bub on breast a bit longer before going to top up.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    My boobs leak when I thought about feeding. I suppose this is a good sign. I know it is still not enough for bub. How long does you BF? I did the no bottle and pump thing few times and bub is screaming hungry. So I am back to BF, top up and pump (only during the day). I think I should keep bub on breast a bit longer before going to top up.....
    I had similar issues & also had to do the BF, top up & pump routine. I had a great LC, she gave me lots of good help with practical advice. I used to BF for one hour, or sometimes 45 mins each side. Then top up (I was using a syringe), then express during babys sleep time. I cut it back to expressing 4, then 3 then 2x per day,& never through the night. I still had enough EBM to feed her, so I figured as long as she was drinking my milk, the supply/demand thing wasnt too interfered with. She had lost a lot of weight & didnt regain her birth weight for over a month,so she really needed it. When she became stronger & more able to feed at the breast,I slowly took away the EBM top ups as she could manage it. It took a good 8-12 weeks to establish BF & get her feeding at the breast, & it was hard work. But it only got easier as time went on! The first part is the hardest. Be easy on yourself,set yourself up on the couch with some tv & a cup of tea &try to enjoy it if you can Try not to worry about housework or cooking etc, just enjoy all those lovely baby snuggles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If its something that you feel you want to continue with then best thing I can say is get a lactation consultant. 1 hour with one for me changed it all this time around. Things do get better after 6 weeks, a lot better!! Lots of women who have already posted here really helped me with similar advice this time with my DD. However, sometimes you want to hear that it's ok to stop whenever you want to, because it is. Breastmilk is a short part of a child's nutritional journey and a healthy and happy mum who is present and coping is so important too. So, stop whenever you feel is right for you. With my DS my outlook improved dramatically after I stopped pumping after about a month. The only person who really knows how you are coping is you and that's why it's your call, your baby will thrive on formula too. Good luck, it can be such a difficult time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    His behaviour sounds very normal to me, the first 6 weeks are hard and is pretty much cluster feeding the whole time. I used to sit on the couch the whole day with my DD attached to my boob, some days i couldn't even get changed out of my pjs until DH got home.

To me 120ml sounds like a lot to feed a baby that young, their stomachs aren't very big at that age, and you have to remember when they feed on the breast, it doesn't continuously come out like a bottle does. And the fact your DS is falling asleep mid feed sounds like he has had enough to me.

Just think when you are starving for food and eat your meal as fast as you can, you still feel hungry afterwards but if you wait 5 - 10 mins your body realises you have food in your stomach. The same thing happens with babies and people tend to over feed them with bottles because they just keep drinking. I think its called pace feeding, when bottle feeding you should tip the bottle back so nothing is coming out but they are still sucking and then tip it back up and so on.

There is a great group on fb called BRAS - Breastfeeding Resources and Support. Lots of informative and supportive people in that group.

Keep up the good work and just know it does get easier

11. The Following User Says Thank You to curlybird For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I also think 120ml is a lot!!! But that's how much he would feed every other feed. In between, he is still taking 80ml and my BF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Yes I also think 120ml is a lot!!! But that's how much he would feed every other feed. In between, he is still taking 80ml and my BF.
    If he has the 120ml how long till he wants another feed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From memory my DD was only drinking around 50-70ml when she was 2 weeks old. 120ml is a lot for a bub that young.
    What does he do after he has come off the boob and you don't give him a top up with formula?

Also cluster feed is a way for them to increase your supply.