+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I don't know what I am expecting at this point. Before the birth, I was expecting textbook case of BF until bub feels satisfied and falls asleep. The duration would be like 1 hr feed time and 1--2hr sleep time. That's what they have been telling us since day 1 at the hospital. In real life, bub is now asking feed every 30 mins to an hr with or without top up. Each full feed takes 1--2hrs. My friends said that's normal. Thus, I think the textbook has set us on a wrong expectation

Anyhow, like this morning, I clearly had milk and he fell asleep on each breast. When I put him down, he made a fuss within few mins. I put him on the other breast and continue. He didn't seem full and the cycle continue on the restless sleep.
    With your first point. That is normal. As is the bub that feeds 5min and then sleeps for hours. The range of normal for a baby is huge. I know that with just my 3. My first took 1hr to feed. My second 5-10min and my third 15-20min per feed. All three only take 1 Boob per feed.

Your second point- I have enough milk for a room full of babies and my bub STILL does that. It's normal newborn behaviour and both bf and ff babies will do that. Babies sleep lightly as deep sleep is a SIDS risk. It's a survival mechanism.

Working out how much milk bub is getting is based on output. If bub is pooping once in TEN days. And had 5-6 wet nappies a day plus isn't losing weight then its all good. Milk supply is sufficient.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-10-2015),HollyGolightly81  (23-10-2015),misskittyfantastico  (23-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    reading threads like this brings on anxiety for me. I have no idea how I'm going to BF (or even want to really) when it sounds this intense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    reading threads like this brings on anxiety for me. I have no idea how I'm going to BF (or even want to really) when it sounds this intense.
    I found the first few weeks very hard and really hated it but am so grateful I kept going as it does eventually get so much easier. We ended up breastfeeding for 13 months when DS self-weaned, if you had seen me in the early days you would have never thought I would last that long! Besides the extra bonding I felt whenever I fed him I also loved not having to regularly fluff around with bottles and super convenient when we were traveling, on flights, etc. as he had food and comfort on tap. You don't have to make any decisions yet but there's some great support on here if you end up with issues and lots of questions like I did!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-10-2015),VicPark  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to let threads make you anxious. Yes, it's a learned skill but once it clicked I've found it (a week or two) one of the easiest things I've ever done. 15 months and counting.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (23-10-2015),turquoisecoast  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I found the first few weeks very hard and really hated it but am so grateful I kept going as it does eventually get so much easier. We ended up breastfeeding for 13 months when DS self-weaned, if you had seen me in the early days you would have never thought I would last that long! Besides the extra bonding I felt whenever I fed him I also loved not having to regularly fluff around with bottles and super convenient when we were traveling, on flights, etc. as he had food and comfort on tap. You don't have to make any decisions yet but there's some great support on here if you end up with issues and lots of questions like I did!
    yes bub hub is a wealth of info and support isn't it!

the not fluffing around with bottles and sterilizing stuff is a huge plus.

I really don't know how long I'd want to BF for. like anything over 12 months just seems like ages. dunno, maybe I'm too selfish and/or mothering instincts haven't kicked in yet. I have 4 months to decide I guess 😂

I've always assumed I would/should BF but who knows. I'd feel awful if I didn't but I guess you need to take it as it comes.

cluster feeds sound like a nightmare. I don't want to feel like I will become this milk factory whose boobs are at the mercy of a fussy baby. I'm probably going to be a horrid mummy and feel like a failure just typing that 😢

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you!

I friggin struggled to BF at the start. Milk didn't come in until day 6 ish and it was awful. I also had no idea if I was making enough milk. Bub wanted feeding all the time and when I tried to pump I got hardly anything. However bub had heaps of wet and dirty nappies so I just tried not to worry and went with the flow. Occasionally I topped up with formula, mainly because it was taking ages to feed, my nipples were killing me and I needed a break for my own sanity. Things just gradually got better and by the time bub was 6-8 weeks old everything had settled down and was fine.

My advice would to be keep trying unless your at breaking point. Breast milk may be great for babies but a happy mother is more important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For some people bf is hard. People who have very easy times of it rarely post for help or ask questions so overwhelmingly the posts on bh are going to be about bf complications.

The majority of women and babies who take to bf find it relatively easy after the initial few days. Remember that if bf was hard for the majority of women, the human race would have ended eons ago.

For me, actual bf was easy. The difficulty was more from society putting false expectations on a bf baby by comparing them to charts of ff babies or sleep patterns of ff babies. When I stopped caring what people thought I started to love it and I still love it. This is my third child I'm nursing and the start of my fifth year of breastfeeding.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (23-10-2015),turquoisecoast  (23-10-2015),VicPark  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

I really don't know how long I'd want to BF for. like anything over 12 months just seems like ages. dunno, maybe I'm too selfish and/or mothering instincts haven't kicked in yet. I have 4 months to decide I guess 😂

I've always assumed I would/should BF but who knows. I'd feel awful if I didn't but I guess you need to take it as it comes.

cluster feeds sound like a nightmare. I don't want to feel like I will become this milk factory whose boobs are at the mercy of a fussy baby. I'm probably going to be a horrid mummy and feel like a failure just typing that 😢
    You WILL NOT be a horrid mummy and are NOT a failure. The fact that you are here asking advice shows that you care very much about you baby. BF (particularly at the start) can be very draining is combined with lack of sleep, the life change of having a small human dependant on you and recovering from labour. No wonder it feels really tough, it gets better though. Much better.

Cluster feeding does have it positives - it's a great reason to sit on the couch, eat and watch TV.

I hope there are people IRL who are supporting you at the moment. You're doing a great job.

*hugs*

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    You WILL NOT be a horrid mummy and are NOT a failure. The fact that you are here asking advice shows that you care very much about you baby. BF (particularly at the start) can be very draining is combined with lack of sleep, the life change of having a small human dependant on you and recovering from labour. No wonder it feels really tough, it gets better though. Much better.

Cluster feeding does have it positives - it's a great reason to sit on the couch, eat and watch TV.

I hope there are people IRL who are supporting you at the moment. You're doing a great job.

*hugs*
    So now I don't think my post makes sense - I got the OP with a 2w old mixed up with Turquiosecoast.
    Ahh!!! Anyway - BF can be hard, it usually gets better, formula is fine and none of you are/will be horrible mummies.

Thanks
    Reviews

If it makes u feel any better neither of my two babies cluster fed. Just every 4 hours in the beginning. By 12 months our second daughter was feeding 3 times in 24 hrs. And each feed was only 10 mins max! Had been that way for a while too. So easy!

I only managed 3 months with our first. I had so many problems and pain and was dreading feeding again. But second time around was an amazing experience and fed till 13 months. I cried when she stopped feeding, I really enjoyed it that much.

Don't think about it too much, u may be one of those mums who pops bubs on the boob and away u go. Even if the first 6 weeks or so are tough ( usually how long it takes to properly establish breastfeeding) after that its soooo much easier than formula feeding. And free 😊
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 23-10-2015 at 19:29.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-10-2015)