+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyMJ View Post
    This might seem like a silly question but is the coconut oil people are using just the standard stuff you use for cooking? Or is there a modified version for moisturising purposes?
    Ha ha no it's the same stuff you use for cooking! I bought a bioglan tub from chemist warehouse that looked a bit more 'body product like' in terms of packaging but yes it's a food product. I often mix a few drops of lavender or lemongrass so it doesn't remind me of cooking.

I think there are some companies now making body 'coconut oil' but it's got heaps of chemicals etc in it, you don't want to be rubbing that into your skin everyday IMO. Your skin absorbs everything, all the chemicals straight into your blood ******. I think this is a big reason why so many people are choosing coconut oil over standard moisturisers.

It's not all that practical but I was once told you shouldn't really put anything on your skin that you wouldn't put it your mouth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go for the cheaper options as I think it really boils down to genetics. I used nothing at all on my stomach for my entire pregnancy. Had a 4.1kg bub and high fluid levels so gained 20kg all on my stomach and didn't get a single stretch mark. My mum never got a single stretch mark either and I was 9pd 8oz.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to add, I had no stretch marks my entire pregnancy, or for the first 3 or so days after giving birth. Every day whilst pregnant I applied shea butter and olive oil to my stomach and the skin was perfect.
    Anyway, after giving birth I figured it was no longer being stretched so I stopped applying everything - plus I was so tired after a 3 day labour and caught up with my new baby, moisturising was no longer a priority.

That was a huge mistake. 5 or so days PP, my skin on my tummy was super dry, almost rough to the touch and darker than the surrounding skin and I now have stretch marks. Not huge ones but marks none the less and more appeared every day. I started applying the shea butter and olive oil again and my skin has gone back to being soft and no new stretch marks have since appeared, but the stretch marks I have are probably there for good now

So yeah, keep up your regime until your tummy goes completely back to normal.

ETA during my 3 day labour I got dangerously dehydrated and was given drugs that further dehydrate you so that may have had something to do with it. But still, can't hurt to keep moisturising. My tummy was back to how it was pre-pregnancy by 6 weeks so I should have just kept moisturising until then.
    Last edited by Ashling; 27-10-2015 at 09:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashling View Post
    I just wanted to add, I had no stretch marks my entire pregnancy, or for the first 3 or so days after giving birth. Every day whilst pregnant I applied shea butter and olive oil to my stomach and the skin was perfect.
    Anyway, after giving birth I figured it was no longer being stretched so I stopped applying everything - plus I was so tired after a 3 day labour and caught up with my new baby, moisturising was no longer a priority.

That was a huge mistake. 5 or so days PP, my skin on my tummy was super dry, almost rough to the touch and darker than the surrounding skin and I now have stretch marks. Not huge ones but marks none the less and more appeared every day. I started applying the shea butter and olive oil again and my skin has gone back to being soft and no new stretch marks have since appeared, but the stretch marks I have are probably there for good now

So yeah, keep up your regime until your tummy goes completely back to normal.

ETA during my 3 day labour I got dangerously dehydrated and was given drugs that further dehydrate you so that may have had something to do with it. But still, can't hurt to keep moisturising. My tummy was back to how it was pre-pregnancy by 6 weeks so I should have just kept moisturising until then.
    Agree with this. Don't stop just because you've given birth. Stretch marks are also caused by rapid weight loss not just weight gain. I continued my belly oil until 8 weeks or so post birth. And don't forget breasts they change massively before and after birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Mosturizing your skin won't hurt.

But make no mistake, stretch marks come from the middle layer of skin and no studies have ever found evidence of any cream or remedies helping to prevent them.
    And it's not by a lack of research as the cosmetic industry would love to be able to find such evidence! 😉

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have always been big with moisturising but more so during pregnancies. I always used bio oil twice a day when pregnant. Not one stretch mark anywhere 3 babies later. Who knows if any creams and oils really work, I think it's more genetics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used bio oil everyday and no stretch marks either even though I got some during puberty and my mum got them in pregnancy but who really knows what the cause is. My skin got itchy anyway and I found the bio oil made it better

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used bio oil religiously 1st pregnancy and no stretch marks. Second time I've been heaps more slack and still no stretch marks so I'm guessing it's a genetics thing too. As pps have said though it can't hurt and I enjoyed rubbing my belly. Don't forget the hips and thighs though!