+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be more concerned about social media (or media in general) than a harmless barbie. For me I loved barbies growing up and never once thought about their body shape - they were a doll after all. Similarly Lego man/woman had strange proportions but I never questioned that.

My body issues came from an obsessive mother who commented on weight/size from the age of about 4/5 and a ballet teacher (this was the 80s) who constantly told us all we had to diet if we ever wanted to be successful dancers. This too from the age of 5. No wonder I always thought I was fat (and never ever was even close to overweight).

If I am lucky enough to have a daughter I will totally allow barbies - I think denying them of them could potentially be worse (they will wonder why). I think it's important to install good self image and body confidence by what you do & say and remember you can't shelter them forever. TV and social media will give them a good dose of unrealistic body image and try as you might they'll get exposed to it sooner or later.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-10-2015),SuperGranny  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My girls have Barbies and Ken etc.

For me, it's not about the dolls/toys they play with that may be a bad influence in terms of body perception etc, it is the way 'I' role model to them (I have 4 daughters). They NEVER hear me say anything negative about my body, only positives. If they're with me and I am trying on clothes, I will say, things like it's not my style, as opposed to what I am thinking inside (my bum looks big in this etc).

So yeah, not the dolls, but DH and I being healthy role models in the way we speak and act with our bodies around them etc.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-10-2015),atomicmama  (24-10-2015),Wise Enough  (23-10-2015),~Marigold~  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    My girls have Barbies and Ken etc.

For me, it's not about the dolls/toys they play with that may be a bad influence in terms of body perception etc, it is the way 'I' role model to them (I have 4 daughters). They NEVER hear me say anything negative about my body, only positives. If they're with me and I am trying on clothes, I will say, things like it's not my style, as opposed to what I am thinking inside (my bum looks big in this etc).

So yeah, not the dolls, but DH and I being healthy role models in the way we speak and act with our bodies around them etc.
    So true. The older I get the more I realise just how much my mum's negative body image impacted my own. She still complains everything makes her look fat - this is exactly where I got it from. That and she used to tell me I had thick legs, that there were fat genes in our family and that if I wasn't careful I would end up big like my aunties etc. She never would have given a thought to how that would negatively impact my self image.

Sorry to crash the thread. I just think PP advice was absolutely spot on 😊

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-10-2015),Mod-Uniquey  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As my DSD says, "It's a toy. I don't think dragons are real, and I have those toys too."

She is 9 now.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (22-10-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (23-10-2015),Cue  (23-10-2015),Moxy  (22-10-2015),Ngaiz  (23-10-2015),PipersMummy  (22-10-2015),Raising Leprechauns  (23-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-10-2015),snowqu33n  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest daughter is 8 and loves the Barbie movies, and to be honest, I am happy to sit down and watch them with her. My eldest daughter is into Monster High and those dolls are a little more out of proportion than Barbie. At the end of the day, who cares? They are dolls and if your daughter loves playing with them, then that's all that matters. I don't have a great self body image but my kids don't see that about me, they just think I am a great mum. Don't focus on Barbie's physical image, concentrate on all the amazing things she has been.

PlayNice is offline Saving the world one chocolate at a time
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your responses. I can definitely see the general concensus and it is reassuring!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Barbies - Fine or harmful?

I think barbies are what you want to make them. we had tons of barbies too and played with them lots. never once did Barbie's body shape or proportions enter into my mind as the "ideal" or something women should strive to emulate. she was just a doll with long skinny legs and a generous rack. my parents never mentioned barbies as being anything more than toys. I totally get where you're coming from and your concerns are valid but I think drawing attention to the fact that Barbie has an abnormal figure will just shift the child's focus onto it and away from innocent play.

I'd be inclined to just say nothing and let the child play. if she starts asking questions or making comments about the doll's body shape or appearance, you could gently correct/explain things to her. but honestly I'd just leave it. what toy is anatomically correct? do toys have to be anatomically correct? are toy bears and stuffed animals anatomically correct?
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 23-10-2015 at 07:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had barbies as a kid. I loved them. I also cabbage patch dolls.
    I didn't grow up thinking that people had big b00bs and tiny waists or that they signatures on their bottoms and no n1pples.
    Lol
    I think we over think this stuff sometimes.
    I actually can't wait to play barbies with DD.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (23-10-2015),MrsSS  (23-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is nearly 8 and obsessed with Barbie. I dont think how Barbies body looks has even crossed her mind. Though she will tell anyone that asks that Barbie is a fako blonde.

We work very hard at fostering a positive self image and encourage her to look at people on the inside. Hopefully this stays with her more than the image of a doll.

Thanks
    Reviews
    to us, barbies are just barbies. dolls. toys, what they are supposed to be... heck i was playing with mine til i was 13!