+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexta View Post
    No weight gain for me, but it's 100% effective as I have had ZERO $ex drive since insertion.
    Yeah I don't want that either, mine is about as low as it gets. Poor dh.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Bexta  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had mirena for 2.5y and no major symptoms.
    Instead of period I get very slight spotting for about 3 days each month and minimal cramping, much less painful than period pains I used to get.
    The only thing I am dreading is getting it removed and reinserted. I haven't been checking the strings so have no idea where they are...Also every now and then I have this fear/paranoia that I could he pregnant and not know!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    I had it for 18mo. So easy and no issues. check with your GP, if you've birthed vaginally many are trained to do it in their rooms. It's harder if you've had a csection, but I don't think they "put you under" for it alone, with another pro rider perhaps - I had mine inserted when I had prolapse repairs.
    Csection friends had theirs put in at a women's health clinic. Took Panadol nurofen beforehand and said it was just crampy for a few days, no pain.
    Edit to add - one had it done at 6 week check
    I had mine done at a women's health clinic, no sedation and from what I remember maybe only a spray of local anaesthetic. No more uncomfortable than a Pap smear (but having been through IVF you get used to lots of invasive procedures so these things don't bother me much anymore). Mine was done about 4 months after my c section, only because it took me a while to organise but as pp said I think it can be done from 6 weeks post birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteFantastic View Post
    Hi Rachel3, how did you go with the Mirena and what is your experience? Would love to know your thoughts as I'm thinking about one....

Thanks!
    I didn't get it done. Spent years trying to have babies and letting my weight go. Not willing to risk weight increase and adding hormones after several rounds of IVF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    I didn't get it done. Spent years trying to have babies and letting my weight go. Not willing to risk weight increase and adding hormones after several rounds of IVF.
    The dose is low though and many don't have the weight gain. If it doesn't suit you you can get it removed.
    I spent years doing IVF too but I now have the mirena to avoid an unwanted pregnancy as just our luck we'd get pregnant naturally now we are done ☺

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I didn't gain weight but I couldn't lose any either! Was seeing dietician, on strict diet and exercise programs and could not budge it. Had it out and lost 16kgs.

Period wise it was awesome. Minimal if any bleeding or cramps. Mentally I was a basket case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the Mirena for 2.5 (I think) years and lost over 40kgs while I was taking it (by actively trying to lose weight). I never put weight on as a side effect. I'd get mini cramps sometimes around when it would be that time of the month but considering I was almost bed-ridden in pain before I had it (endometriosis and adenomyosis) it was nothing, I'd say it was a slight twinge. A couple of times I had some slight spotting and had to wear a liner for a day but that was really it.

I had the Mirena taken out in June last year and was pregnant in July...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chekry View Post
    I had the Mirena for 2.5 (I think) years and lost over 40kgs while I was taking it (by actively trying to lose weight). I never put weight on as a side effect. I'd get mini cramps sometimes around when it would be that time of the month but considering I was almost bed-ridden in pain before I had it (endometriosis and adenomyosis) it was nothing, I'd say it was a slight twinge. A couple of times I had some slight spotting and had to wear a liner for a day but that was really it.

I had the Mirena taken out in June last year and was pregnant in July...
    I lost weight recently too, from the stress of DD's chemo treatment (at least I'm pretty sure that's why I lost weight) have had the Mirena in nearly 3 years. I can't really notice the weight loss much, but after a few months of being in hospital with DD all the time, people started to say I was looking skinnier. Hasn't affected my metabolism in the slightest.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It was a last attempt at easily reversible contraception for us but it made me a hormonal nightmare, hubby asked me to have it removed so I did- I was really really awful.

He ended up having the snip, we figured that the benefit of that far outweighed the issues we had had with contraceptives. He knew that regardless of anything he would never want more children and I couldn't be sure (at that point in time) we also decided that if we changed our minds we would use IUI despite the risks that come with that and the costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the personal experiences ladies. Keep them coming.