+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi the mirena is very popular with Drs for fixing many issues be it heavy bleeding, endo pain, change of life issues, contraception, it's BF safe.....its low dose hormones only acting locally on the uterus, rather than swallowing high does that makes its way to uterus, will be getting one when I start cycling....since I have endo....worth getting someone experienced to insert if u can, although if you've had kids vaginally then it's a pretty easy insert, it's harder if no kids yet as ur cervix is tighter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rachel3, how did you go with the Mirena and what is your experience? Would love to know your thoughts as I'm thinking about one....

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisau77 View Post
    Hi the mirena is very popular with Drs for fixing many issues be it heavy bleeding, endo pain, change of life issues, contraception, it's BF safe.....its low dose hormones only acting locally on the uterus, rather than swallowing high does that makes its way to uterus, will be getting one when I start cycling....since I have endo....worth getting someone experienced to insert if u can, although if you've had kids vaginally then it's a pretty easy insert, it's harder if no kids yet as ur cervix is tighter.
    I've had 2 c sections so no vaginal births but still found it painless having the mirena inserted. Don't be put off by horror stories of how awful it is having it inserted. I've only had mine for about 5 months but so far I'm very happy. Apart from spotting at the start for a couple of weeks I've not had a period yet but I'm still bf so not sure what will happen when I stop. Few mood swings first week but fine since and definitely no weight gain for me! Having the opposite problem, with bf can't keep weight on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had the mirena in for a year now. It was a painless experience, no different to having a pap smear I didn't think. No weight gain either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking about getting one soon myself, since finally started cycling after ds (21 mth old). Don't want my endo growing back. Just deciding if to go sedation or not, I know it can be done by experienced obgyn under local, but I'm so sensitive still since still bf!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Following. I have never before considered it but my cousin suggested it to me today. I haven't even thought about contraception after DS2. Think we pretty much survived on condoms between the 2 kids (over 4 years). I refuse to go back on the pill. Had originally wanted DH to see Dr Snip but now I think I want another child. So will have to consider contraception at some point. Anyone have good links to pros/cons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Following out of interest.

I've taken the pill (various ones) long term and I don't feel like I've experienced any significant side effects that others often report with hormonal contraception, so I'm thinking Mirena might be a suitable option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing. The pill does not agree with me at all (irregylar bleeding and high bp) and although we used ivf to conceive I'm looking into my options now. I like the idea of Mirena being low dose but I have the same concern of weight gain and I've also heard of ladies getting bad skin (which I already have and don't want it to get worse), and spotting. It's Mirena or tubal ligation for me I think and I'm leaning towards TL but I've read that it can exasperate endo.

Anyone aware of how soon after C-section it can be inserted?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mirena - should I or shouldn't I?

I had it for 18mo. So easy and no issues. check with your GP, if you've birthed vaginally many are trained to do it in their rooms. It's harder if you've had a csection, but I don't think they "put you under" for it alone, with another pro rider perhaps - I had mine inserted when I had prolapse repairs.
    Csection friends had theirs put in at a women's health clinic. Took Panadol nurofen beforehand and said it was just crampy for a few days, no pain.
    Edit to add - one had it done at 6 week check
    Last edited by Mmumm; 12-04-2016 at 12:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No weight gain for me, but it's 100% effective as I have had ZERO $ex drive since insertion.