+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is controlled crying for us?

My son is 16 months old and I want to wean him from his night feeding. He was waking for two bottles until last month when I began offering him food every 2-3h during the day even if he wasn't telling me he was hungry. This got us down to one night feed between 12-3am. He has a well established bed-time routine and is very well loved during the day. He is asleep by 7pm most nights and has a good day-time nap routine. An ideal wake time for us would be 6.30-7am.

I want to wean him from his night feeding because the later he feeds, the later he wakes (sometimes close to 9am) and he won't have a solid breakfast. It's clear to me he doesn't need the night feed. I have tried reducing the amount of milk given but I really think it's an issue of comfort, not necessarily hunger.

As part of his bed-time routine, he has a bottle, story, cuddle, bed. Tonight I moved his bottle from the nursery to the lounge couch. My long-term plan is to continue having a warm drink with him before bed, but change it from bottle to sippy cup. I would be happy to do this for an indefinite period of time as this is my own sleep habit.

Tonight I started controlled crying as set out by the raising children website. He woke at 12.30am and it took him an hour to begin to cry. He was calling out before then, but then started emotional crying. I went into him for 1 min did not pick him up and he somewhat settled. It took him another 20 min to begin crying again. I went in again immediately as it had already been 20 min but got his leg stuck in the crib checking his nappy (!!!) so comforted him for 4 min. 1 to settle pain, 1 to check nappy, 2 to hold him and pat. He is now asleep after 30 min. So all up, nearly 2h awake.

So my question is, do I start the interval time from when I leave the room or from when he begins crying? So essentially, have I done the right thing by going into him immediately since it was 20min and not 2min?

Also, do you think controlled crying is right for us since he really is trying to settle himself?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Azvanna For This Useful Post:

Kates34  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a 14 month old DD who has never been a good sleeper. We do cc with her.
    I don't start timing if its a protest cry/whinge. Sometimes she'll protest for a couple of minutes and settle herself to sleep. If the protest cry escalates louder and more consistent then I start timing. I do 3 mins, reassure for 1 min, 5 mins, reassure 1 min, 10 mins reassure 1 min. Very rarely does she do 10mins. I hope that all makes sense

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDaisy View Post
    I have a 14 month old DD who has never been a good sleeper. We do cc with her.
    I don't start timing if its a protest cry/whinge. Sometimes she'll protest for a couple of minutes and settle herself to sleep. If the protest cry escalates louder and more consistent then I start timing. I do 3 mins, reassure for 1 min, 5 mins, reassure 1 min, 10 mins reassure 1 min. Very rarely does she do 10mins. I hope that all makes sense
    this. but we never made it past 5 minutes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so start timing from when they start crying. Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Azvanna For This Useful Post:

DizzyDaisy  (22-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    Ok so start timing from when they start crying. Thanks
    Yes, not the prostest crying though.

I find with our DD the more I go in the worse she is. For instance her nap today she woke up after 45 mins. She wasn't at all ready to be awake so I did the 3 and 5. After 5 I went back in made sure she had her dummy and comforter and walked out. She took a good 10 mins maybe a couple of minutes longer but went back to sleep.

Good luck!