New born eye contact | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS wasn't fixing and following at 3 months old and it seemed like he was almost avoiding eye contact when we played with or held him. It was more noticeable as his cousin who is 2 weeks younger would really stare at people and loved eye contact.
    We talked to our MCHN who referred us to our GP neither knew what was wrong. It was a very scary time thinking of all the worst case scenarios.
    It turned out he had a condition called delayed visual maturation which basically means everything was present and correct it just hadn't started working yet. A bit like walking later than other kids. At 6 mths he had normal vision for his age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    37 weeks isn't that premature. 38 weeks onwards is classed as full term, so I am sure your son has no developmental problems. It takes ages for a baby to learn how to control all of their little muscles. I remember when my girls were newborn and they would roll their eyes backwards as they were falling asleep, freaked me out. Just give him a little time, he's still figuring out how to use everything. At about 3 months he isn't doing eye contact then I would see someone about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD was born at 37+1. I always joke that she opened her eyes shortly after she was born and then just clamped them back shut again for a couple more weeks as she just wasn't ready to deal with the world yet. She was a pretty colicky, cranky newborn but at about 7.5 weeks she calmed down and started to take in the world around her without melting down after 5 minutes.

I know 37w is full term, DD is almost 8 now and has never had any prem-type health concerns. But it is early term and until about 3 months I adjusted my milestone expectations of her. After that she has done everything smack bang in the middle of average.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies thanks for the updates it's so nice to hear that other babies have grown out of this phase and um not the only one .
    I feel like my other twin woke up when he was 6 weeks old and this one is taking its time. It's really hard not to compare them !!! I really hope that my baby is fine and he will start looking/smiling at me

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What was I worried about?!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am happy to report that my now 11 week old is alerted, happy and engages with us sooooo much! He is constantly staring into our eyes and it's such a relief. He was definitely a little slower (especially compared to my daughter who is now 5). I would say at around the 7 week mark is when he really started to gaze into our eyes and since then, we haven't looked back. It's so scary being a parent, everything can worry you! Good luck everyone x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mint80 View Post
    My DS wasn't fixing and following at 3 months old and it seemed like he was almost avoiding eye contact when we played with or held him. It was more noticeable as his cousin who is 2 weeks younger would really stare at people and loved eye contact.
    We talked to our MCHN who referred us to our GP neither knew what was wrong. It was a very scary time thinking of all the worst case scenarios.
    It turned out he had a condition called delayed visual maturation which basically means everything was present and correct it just hadn't started working yet. A bit like walking later than other kids. At 6 mths he had normal vision for his age.
    Hi Mint80 thanks for your rely. Did the dr. Do anything about the condition or is it something that he will grow out of eventually ? Do you remember when started engaging and looking at your eyes ?
    Im really freaking out although he has now started fixing and following toys but not yet great eye contact , like you said it feels like he is purposely avoiding it and hen he does look for few moments he looks either pass me or looks at my hair than my eyes. I really hope that the fixing/following toys is his breakthrough but I still can't stop thinking about the worst case scenarios .
    He is 10 weeks today

Thanks
    Reviews
    By the time we got our appointment for ophthalmology at about 3 months he was already starting to improve. The dr said we didn't have to do anything extra just to carry on as we were. Black and white images, reading, talking etc as you would with a new born and that it would improve with time.
    I can't say exactly when it 'got better' as it was a gradual thing but when he was reviewed at 6months old his vision was perfect and he now probably has better eyesight than his sisters- he doesn't miss much at all! He is now 21mths and has no increased risk of future eye problems or needing glasses than any other baby.
    I will add that if it wasn't resolved or starting to improve by 6 months the dr was going investigate further

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mint80 my ds was also diagnosed with delayed eye maturation , can u remember details about his progress ? We are also told that up to 6 month is considered normal for him to gaze at faces . So my boy fixes and follows check pattern and some times follows some toys not all but still very poor on the eye contact , he recently some times looks very briefly but that's it . He however, really enjoys play time and some times loughs loud , he loves it when I shower his face with kisses so I kind of have eased my mind on the autism possibility but still worried about his eyes .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Progress was slow to start with. He couldn't see an object an inch from his face at 3mths (when he was assessed and diagnosed) after about 6wks (approx 4.5mths old) he started to follow things for a short distance but still lost interest quickly.
    By the time he was reassessed at 6mths he was laughing at his reflection in the mirror on the other side of the treatment room!
    He has always enjoyed cuddles and kisses too and he is a little chatterbox with advanced speech for his age. Hope this helps you and you start to notice an improvement soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you , it must have been a very happy time for you seeing him progress. Did he make any eye contact or looked at your face before 6 months ? Do u remember when ? My son can follow patterns ( black and white) and some toys and the hanging ones on his swing but there is no face or eye contact and that worries me . When he wonders around he briefly looks but quickly looks away as if he just doesn't want to look at faces . He is almost 3.5 months old and gosh I have good days when I think he is gone be fine and days that I drive my self madly insane . The hardest part is the waiting 😌 but he is very cuddly he regnozes my voice and loves being held and kissed