+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just went through and deleted 50 people. I don't even know why I was friends with them to begin with.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    When my marriage broke up, I deleted a heap of people. That's about the only time I've done a major cull.

I am friends with people who I've never met, mainly from parenting forums, and they make my Facebook tine so much fun!

The only time that I'll delete someone is if we've had a falling out or they post something highly offensive.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015),PomPoms  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't abide gossipy people and I hate drama. I go on Facebook for entertainment and inspiration and to catch up with people who live too far away to see regularly. Therefore anyone that disrupts my peaceful life or anyone I wouldn't want to see if I was in town is unfollowed or unfriended.

I cull people if I think all they want is to snoop and gossip about me (there are a few very bored people in my social group who regularly do this to each other so I culled the lot of them).

Other reasons include racist, bigoted or sexist comments or ridiculous passive aggressive people who use Facebook as a tool to get attention and create drama.

If someone asks me why they were unfriended I usually do tell them apart from one "friend" who I recently found out had badmouthed me to client for a completely ridiculous reason and something that wasn't really anything to do with me (which the client thankfully realised and therefore told me about it so I could address it with my "friend"). I would prefer to explain that one face to face if I ever see her again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's so frustrating when the person who unfriended you is actually a really annoying Facebooker, just makes me wish I got in first. I post a maximum of three pics of my DS a year and rarely post status updates, and yet I've been unfriended by people who post prolifically about their car/breakfast/nails/mystery problems/or constant ******s of selfies.
    If I didn't need Facebook for work I'd just can it altogether.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to calicocat For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im also the friend that gets deleted haha. I post pictures of my food, kids, pets and my exercise habits. Oh well. I also delete people who are inactive. I have fb friends to interact with people not be stalked.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015),NancyBlackett  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1. If I think, "I cannot spend time with you"
    2. If our opinions/lives/beliefs differ majorly, regularly (incl racism, etc)
    3. If we are not close, or I know we would not get along
    4. If I have never met, or have no intention of ever meeting, them

A few other reasons, but can't think of them.

My friends list is quite large, but half of it is family and I get along with them.

ETA: No I have never been asked "why" after deleting someone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I deleted my FB account recently but had had it for 7 years. I deleted people quite regularly. Initially I was friends with all and sundry then realised I didn't really care about a lot of what was coming up on my newsfeed so I did a huge cull. After that I tried to keep my friends number at around 100 simply so I wasn't being bombarded with crap. I think about 1/3 to 1/2 of my friends list was family and extended family and I only ever deleted one of those people and that was a distant cousin who had polar opposite views to me on a lot of social and political issues. A few months after I resigned from my job I did a huge cull because I realised I had a lot of work friends who I wasn't really friends with outside of work. I also used to cull people who I liked but not enough to bother with any contact/comments/likes etc. People with whom there was zero interaction. The more I used FB the more I became wary of allowing people I didn't *really* know very well into my life and having access to my profile. In the end FB on the whole just got too much for me. As for the view of not understanding why people cull has been expressed on here, I don't understand why people feel the need to have friends with every Tom, Richard and Harry. I know someone who has over 1000 FB "friends". I don't get that at all.

I did have one person message me asking why I de-friended her. She was an ex boyfriend's (from my late teens) sister and we barely really knew each other, though she was nice enough. I was honest with her; I only wanted to stay FB friends with family and people I interacted with on a daily basis. She was a bit miffed but I'm not that special, I'm sure she got over it.

On a side note I have always found it bizarre when people friend request you when you have previously been friends and they have clearly been de-friended. Strange.

This is one of the reasons I don't like FB - this notion that a part of our worth, even if it's just a small part, it dependent on a social media site. That our feelings and confidence can take a bit of a smackdown over something which is so inane yet seems to have wormed its way into our daily lives.

I remember asking an old school friend (who I am actually friends with) to join FB so we could be FB friends. His response: "but what's wrong with me just being your real-life friend?". Hardly prophetic but it stuck in my head.
    Last edited by Moxy; 21-10-2015 at 19:14.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (21-10-2015),Foxy  (21-10-2015),gingermillie  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't cull unless they're complete morans, but what I do is if there's anyone I haven't spoke to in a year then they go on to an acquaintances list and that list doesn't get photos or posts from me.
    It just makes sense to limit my audience to my close family and friends like in real life.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    For those of you that cull, has anyone you've unfriended ever asked you why?
    Yep. I have deleted people for being racist, bigoted, homophobic. And been asked why as well and told them. Also have unfollowed one friend who was constantly promoting isagenix.

I've been Unfriended by a few of people, most without explanation and am intrigued as to why but not going to ask. I figure they probably just don't like me anymore!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Foxy  (21-10-2015),Ngaiz  (21-10-2015)