+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any mums out there who have had to Morehouse & schools frequently?

Wondering if there are any mums here who have had kids change primRy schools on more than 1 occasion, possibly due to spousal work relocation or even professional sports (changing teams/moving cities) etc...

This is a bit long winded....sorry

After 3 years in our adopted city it's almost time for me to head back to work (I have had a really long may leave) in our original city on the east coast.

Ds1 will move primary schools and ds2 will start a new kindy/preschool.

I don't want to go back but financially & perks-wise I cannot quit. Secondly although our kids have made wonderful friends, they want to move back to be close to grandma.

We love where we are now and we love the school that ds1 currently attends. It may actually be the happiest school in Australia!

Anyways, the thought has crossed my mind that what if the kids don't settle in well at their new school, miss their old friends and generally don't like it there...
    I'm wondering how hard it would be to move them back across the country in 12 months time, back to the school where da is now (assuming they had room for both boys). The logistics of moving wouldn't be super hard as we have a furnished home here and DH is actually staying here after I leave with the kids, till he can find another job/misses us enough to move back to us.

Has anyone changed cities and schools more than once? How do your kids cope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, DD1 started school in Qld, moved states where she went to another 2 schools before returning to the 2nd school. Honestly, it didn't bother her at all. She has settled in and made great friends at any schools she's been too! DD2 has been to 2 schools and also adjusted well.
    We are moving back to Qld next year, the girls know and are excited to head back, knowing they are leaving their friends, school and sports.
    For us, our girls adapted to change very well. I also have a lot of defence friends that move every few years, their children have adjusted too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes..my DD has been to 3 different primary schools. She has always adjusted well. Having said that I would avoid moving now they are in upper primary...much easier when younger and friendship bonds are much more fluid...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved a lot as a defence force family. My kids adapted really well. Kids make friends easily and are very adaptable

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies, very much appreciate it

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my oldest child actually had five primary schools in five years. it is not easy but I found my children could all adapt very quickly, and it was not a problem. I would not recommend it as a lifestyle choice or anything, but it has not caused my children any bother. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    my oldest child actually had five primary schools in five years. it is not easy but I found my children could all adapt very quickly, and it was not a problem. I would not recommend it as a lifestyle choice or anything, but it has not caused my children any bother. marie.
    Wow, that's a lot! Did he/she make friends easily and did it affect their ability to make friends even when the moving ceased?

I moved schools after kindy/prep and I kinda feel like I was always on the back foot because friendships were on the way to being reinforced. I know that sounds silly, it's only the first year of school but I just always think that.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    actually, yes. my oldest boy did always have trouble socially at school. my girls had similar number of changes four changes in four years, but they were much more socially adept. different personalities, and the girls being twins, made it easier for them. my oldest had only one or two friends in each year, where the girls had a million friends before lunch break was finished. my children all managed quite well with the school work, they came home with good reports, but socially, they were quite different. as adults now, they are still pretty much the same, my son has a few close friends, but he is fine with that. marie.