+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face RPA options

Hi All,

I found out I was pregnant last week so it still hasn't quite sunk in yet. It also doesn't help that I haven't really had any pregnancy symptoms, so I can't quite believe it. My hubby and I find ourselves in the lucky situation of being able to fall pregnant without consciously counting the days and "trying". This is our first and we are over the moon but are a bit hesitant about getting too excited this early on.

In any case, I like to be organised for these things and understand I need to book in at the hospital ASAP (and ob if I decide to go down that path). Have many people had recent experience with RPA?

I have heard mixed reviews and am still trying decide whether to go as a public/private patient, and then with an Ob (I've read good reviews about one in the city on Macquarie St which would be so convenient!).

I have PHI, and I'm also in the catchment area for RPA. I'm just really super lost about how I'm supposed to make a decision like this without knowing if I'll end up having a difficult pregnancy. To me, having an ob almost seems like an insurance policy - if the pregnancy did have its difficult bouts, then I would be in the best of hands. And I'm not going to lie, the extra bells and whistles of convenience, and antenatal classes in the practice sound quite good. However, justifying the additional cost to hubby is difficult, because I'm not sure how to justify it to myself!

I did hear about the midwifery group practice at RPA. They are a tough bunch to get a hold of on the phone so I only have the brochure available online to go of. I wonder if the same wait times (for general appointments) apply with this option...and if they are located at the actual RPA hospital. I do like that the midwives will visit post-birth just to make sure everything is going well. Or is that normal for any of these options?!

Very overwhelmed. I would appreciate any feedback on RPA - private, public, and especially this midwifery group that I can't find much information on...

Sorry for such a novel - I babble

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went through the birth centre at RPA. My antenatal care was excellent but my labour and the way they handled it left a lot to be desired. I ended I transferring to L&D and had a fantastic experience there. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations

I had my first child at the RPA and am pregnant again now but have moved to the Gold Coast. I was at Westmead until I moved to GC. The care I received at RPA was exceptional, the two other hospitals are very poor by comparison.
    I ended up a high risk pregnancy, saw the same ob every appointment, David was his name, he even gave me his mobile number to call him if I needed him. I had a c section, private room, had untold amount of scans, blood tests and everything was covered. For me I couldn't see the advantage of a private ob, if he's off delivering a baby you are left waiting for him for your appointment and if you end up with complications you end up in a public hospital anyway.
    I wish I was having my 2nd daughter at the RPA.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Killarneygirl For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had 4 kids there (including a twin birth) and I found being a public patient a bit dreadful, but being a private patient with my own Ob was really good. I think it depends on a lot of factors. When I was a public patient there was 17 other women giving birth at the same time, they were literally over run and my care suffered as a result. But when I had my own ob there it was really good etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We went through the Birth Centre at RPA for all my antenatal care, saw a few people for mental health, ended up birthing in L&D at the last minute, were readmitted to NICU/SCN a few days later, saw every lactation consultant, and ended up spending about 10 days all up in the post-natal ward.
    And throughout all that, I found the care to be excellent, I don't have a single complaint about anything. Well, one mildly condescending paediatrician but he was still pretty good.

I'm horrified to read stories of how bad other public hospitals can be, they should all be like RPA! I can't wait to have baby #2 so I can go back :P

9. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had my second child at the birth centre at RPA and can't recommend it highly enough. Of course, everything went according to 'plan' so I don't know what would happen if I had had to transfer to the hospital itself.

From what I can gather you can use your private health insurance as well as using the birth centre - and I assume that gives you access to your own ob and the private hospital should you need it.

I had my first child at a private hospital because I wanted to stick around as long as possible after giving birth. This time around I knew what I was on for so was keen to leave as soon as I could.

The midwife who visited me at home was lovely. Just the right mix of maternal, bossy and relaxed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had baby number 2 at rpa few months ago and found it to be very good. I did shared care with my gp as that was easier than going to hospital for all my antenatal care. I had an elective c section so can't really comment on birthing or labour wards but my experience was very positive. When I had my first baby in the uk I was on a ward with 6 beds so having a double room only here was heaven! As with all public hospitals the food could be better but not the end of the world!
    My only negative and it's probably because it was baby number 2 but I didn't find the lactation aftercare amazing. I was pretty much left to it with less help and input than I had when I had my first baby.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats on the bubba!

RPA have been outstanding at every stage and my DH and I are so happy we went public. From IVF, the Midwife Group Practice and subsequent Cesarean. The midwifery group practice went above and beyond even after DD was born and I'm still friends with one now. The surgeon and anaesthetist for my C section made me feel as ease while I was petrified.. Can't fault them. Highly recommend.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my bub at RPA and went through the midwife group practice as I wanted continuity of care. My partner and k were looked after from the beginning and when bub was born. Our midwife went beyond her regular care and made sure we were informed at each and every point and explained things so well.

The obstetrician who delivered Bub was fantastic and put me at ease. We also did our parenting classes at RPA and found the educators to be fantastic. As Bub had issues with feeding we also had a lactation consultant help us out and the midwives on the ward were great. I can not fault my care at RPA and recommend it to other parents

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky Dee For This Useful Post:

MummyMJ  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Midwife general practice is based at the hospital. They are a small team and are on call which is why it can be hard to contact them..