+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Question about basal body temping

Hi all,
    After never getting a LH surge using the sticks, I've moved onto monitoring my basal body temperature.

I've read the booklet that came with my thermometer but I'm just a bit unsure on the following...

On the day your temp dips, is that the day you ovulate? Or does the dip mean you ovulated the day before? Or will ovulate the day after?

And the rise after the dip, does that confirm ovulation just happened or could you be ovulating on the day of the rise?

Also, if you don't ovulate at all, do you still get a rise in progesterone? I ask because I had a blood test at my GPs last month and she told me that I had ovulated because of the progesterone rise but as mentioned, I've never had a surge of LH with the sticks.

My doctor keeps saying "if you get regular periods, it means your ovulating" but I've ready online that you can just have non-ovulation periods.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thank you

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATsydney View Post
    Hi all,
    After never getting a LH surge using the sticks, I've moved onto monitoring my basal body temperature.

I've read the booklet that came with my thermometer but I'm just a bit unsure on the following...

On the day your temp dips, is that the day you ovulate? Or does the dip mean you ovulated the day before? Or will ovulate the day after?

And the rise after the dip, does that confirm ovulation just happened or could you be ovulating on the day of the rise?

Also, if you don't ovulate at all, do you still get a rise in progesterone? I ask because I had a blood test at my GPs last month and she told me that I had ovulated because of the progesterone rise but as mentioned, I've never had a surge of LH with the sticks.

My doctor keeps saying "if you get regular periods, it means your ovulating" but I've ready online that you can just have non-ovulation periods.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thank you
    1. It varies from person to person. Personally I get a dip 2 days before I ovulate. As a general rule it is normal to have a dip in the day or two before you ovulate.

2. Nope you won't have a significant rise in progesterone if you haven't ovulated. It's possible to have regular periods on an anovulatory cycle because the endometrium will often start to break down after 14 days regardless so you can often bleed anyway. It's different with different people of course.

3. The rise after ovulation usually takes a few days to show, my temp takes a few days to get up there usually!

Some people just don't get a surge on a LH test but still ovulate.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

ATsydney  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    1. It varies from person to person. Personally I get a dip 2 days before I ovulate. As a general rule it is normal to have a dip in the day or two before you ovulate.

2. Nope you won't have a significant rise in progesterone if you haven't ovulated. It's possible to have regular periods on an anovulatory cycle because the endometrium will often start to break down after 14 days regardless so you can often bleed anyway. It's different with different people of course.

3. The rise after ovulation usually takes a few days to show, my temp takes a few days to get up there usually!

Some people just don't get a surge on a LH test but still ovulate.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks rainbowroad, that's really useful. If you don't mind me asking, how do you know for sure that you ovulate two days after the dip? I feel like I'm completely out of tune with my body, I never get any symptoms or signs!

I've only been temping since last Wednesday but here's what I've seen...

36.37 14th oct. Wednesday
    36.46 15th oct Thursday
    36.43 16th October Friday
    36.74 17th october Saturday
    36.84 18th October Sunday
    36.23 19th October Monday
    36.62 20th october Tuesday

Monday seems to have a clear dip with a rise today, right?

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you use something like fertility friend to chart your temps?

Your last few temps with the exception of Monday are quite a bit higher than your earlier ones. I would almost be inclined to say they resemble post ovulatory temps. What cycle day are you? Also, are you taking your temp at the same time each day?

I know when I ovulate because I get very obvious ovulation pain, always have done. I also have done monitored cycles through a clinic

You can also use your cervical mucous (CM) as a guide.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

ATsydney  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1445316408.181104.jpg

This is a fairly typical cycle for me.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I used fertility friend to chart my temps. I usually get a dip on day of o and then a rise the next day. A website/app like fertility friend will pinpoint when you have o'd for you.

If you don't ovulate, your progesterone won't rise.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

ATsydney  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I used fertility friend to chart my temps. I usually get a dip on day of o and then a rise the next day. A website/app like fertility friend will pinpoint when you have o'd for you.

If you don't ovulate, your progesterone won't rise.
    Thanks adornedwithcats, that's a relief. I know if ovulated at least once then! Great name btw!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ATsydney For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you use something like fertility friend to chart your temps?

Your last few temps with the exception of Monday are quite a bit higher than your earlier ones. I would almost be inclined to say they resemble post ovulatory temps. What cycle day are you? Also, are you taking your temp at the same time each day?

I know when I ovulate because I get very obvious ovulation pain, always have done. I also have done monitored cycles through a clinic

You can also use your cervical mucous (CM) as a guide.
    Wouldn't you say that Monday was my dip? And then Today was my rise?

I'm going to download fertility friend now.

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ATsydney View Post
    Wouldn't you say that Monday was my dip? And then Today was my rise?

I'm going to download fertility friend now.

Thanks x
    I would but your Saturday and Sunday temps are very high compared to your wed thurs Friday, and a prolonged shift of at least .2 degrees is what indicates ovulation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would but your Saturday and Sunday temps are very high compared to your wed thurs Friday, and a prolonged shift of at least .2 degrees is what indicates ovulation.
    Right I see what you mean. We've been 'doing it' every other day so hopefully we're covered.

It would be great to be able to pin point the exact day though.

Thanks again for your help