+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know it is so easy to get in a tail spin about these things in pregnancy but for clarity i will summarize your post for you.....

You have been screened twice for GD and both screenings have concluded that you do NOT have GD.

Your GP is not up to date with current GD guidelines.

You have had extra screening and it showed a perfect and healthy baby.

Your normal lifestyle is active and healthy with most things in moderation.

Honestly when you break it down like this I think it becomes clear. You do not need your doctors permission to stop testing your BSL or to return to a normal healthy diet. It is your body. If it was me I would completely move on, confident in the knowledge that I do not have GD and that my baby is well. If you feel uneasy about this then I would ask your GP to refer you to someone to discuss it further (OB or diabetic educator) and I would completely stop discussing this GD issue with the GP.

Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was diagnosed with GDM about 3 years ago with DS with a fasting and 1hr lower than yours, and 2hr at 8.1. I was told at the time that they had lowered the cut off level since I'd had my daughter in 2007.

I didn't really believe I had it at first and stuck to the diet but 'tested' it a couple of times with a carby lash-out meal and, sure enough, my levels spiked. So then I believed it. Thankfully I could control it through diet by sticking to low GI carbs and measuring carb serves. I was also under threat of needing to go to the city hospital if I went on insulin.

Firstly, don't take offence at your doctor referring to your baby coping with 'all that sugar'. He won't think you are eating sugar, he will mean all the sugar (glucose) in your blood feeding baby. As you seem to have worked out, carbs are key not just sugary foods.

I'm also not an expert, but I read a lot into diabetes when questioning my own diagnosis. My understanding is that if you are not diabetic/pre diabetic then you won't get high 2 hour levels, even if you eat half an Italian restaurant, as after 2 hours your body should have dealt with it and BSLs should be back down around 5-6ish. Since giving birth and passing the follow up GTT I've been able to test this. I randomly check my 2hrs after super carby meals now and then and the highest I've gotten is a 5.8.

Based on my layman's understanding and the info you have given, it sounds like you have GDM. It is well worth being officially diagnosed though, because then you can get the support (diabetes educator, dietician etc) and the cheap test strips. Once you get the hang of which carbs your body likes, it's not a massive adjustment.

I actually suspect I had it in my first pregnancy too now. She came at 37w weighing 3.55kg and DS, despite having a more solid bone structure, was just 3.49kg when born later at 39w. I had mental food cravings with DD, especially in the last 6 weeks, drinking at least 2l of milk a day. I also put on close to 30kg. With DS, on the GDM diet, I didn't have any cravings apart from the odd weird food combo and only gained 16kg. I.know every pregnancy is different but I suspect if I'd gone to term with DD she would have been 4kg+.

I know how stressed I was, so.understand how you must feel and all the conflicting info from your care providers doesn't help either. I would definitely seek out some more clarity but definitely don't ignore it if you have to cut.your carbs right down to keep your 2hr BSLs under 7.
    Last edited by Stretched; 20-10-2015 at 19:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just did a quick google and it would appear that the RANZCOG have pushed for the WHO diagnosing limits to be used from 1st Jan this year, which takes the 2hr back up to 8.4 as the cut off. So this is where your care providers would be confused as it has changed twice in less than 10 years.

So based on that, you would not have got a positive. BUT.... if your levels are going up after eating just a normal serve of carbs (eg. 45g bowl of cereal) then I, personally, wouldn't just leave it be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Not according to the criteria she doesn't.
    Yeah, I googled (see my next post) and saw that is has changed... again! Sheesh they make it hard for you guys to keep up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll most certainly be talking to my dr when I see him next week.
    Clearly I just need some more confidence in having my opinion heard., just hard when I'm not that kind of person.
    Just to clarify, after eating a normal service of carbs my BSL is normal afterward, I've tried this out.
    The possibility of eating too many then having a high number is what stresses me out. Being a person with anxiety, I find it hard to just relax and not freak out at the idea of high numbers.

Dr was also checking my HbA1c in a blood test I had this week, so I'm hoping to hear back from him about those results in the next couple of days, to which if those results are within normal range then I plan to ask if I can stop doing my BSL monitoring because I'm not seeing the point.
    I'd assume if the HbA1c result isn't in normal range then he'd put me back onto seeing the diabetes nurse or at least do another GTT.

Guess I just have to stick it out, try to stress less and wait for either the phone call with my results or my appointment next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please dont ask your GP if you can stop. Tell him that you are going to stop unless he can give you a good reason to keep doing them. This is only a small difference but it could make a huge difference in making you feel heard and giving you confidence during the conversation. Xxx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

Once Upon a Time  (21-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just don't tell your GP about any high readings.
    GD can be a real blessing as it keeps you eating well
    I had hyperemesis till birth and GD on top of a two chronic diseases and then I got Bells Palsy and had to go on meds which cause blood sugars to sky rocket. 10 days of high readings wasn't enough to put me on insulin. Grilled fish with spinach leaves drizzled with lemon was giving me 11's. So I guess what I'm saying is if you are confident with what you are doing just go with it. No need to stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,
    Be happy to know I enjoyed my birthday yesterday.
    Decided to go f-this and didn't test my BSL.
    Going back to testing today but I'm going to try to not let myself be so stressed about it.
    I haven't heard back from my Dr regarding my blood test results so I'd assume by that things are all fine.
    So with my appointment next week I'm going to tell Dr that I'm not testing anymore. Unless he can give me a reason too.
    The stress for the last three weeks has been horrible enough. He can't make me do it if there is no reason. DH said he'll make sure I don't chicken out, even if he has to mention it himself whilst we are at our visit. Because he too hates seeing me so stressed and upset.

Thank you all again for your words of advice and support.
    I'm sure I'll update you all again after my Dr's visit
    xx

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elegantlybound For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-11-2015),Once Upon a Time  (24-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saw my Dr today.
    He told me my blood test in relation to diabetes was all good.
    I told him I'd stopped doing my BSLs, but showed him the ones I had done.
    His response was well your diet is fine, the blood test says normal, so I probably wouldn't worry about monitoring.
    He didn't even mention gestational diabetes like he has the last few times, Obviously he came to his senses.
    Very much stressing less now.
    Time to just sit back, relax and take it easy.
    Four weeks to go!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elegantlybound For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (19-11-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (02-11-2015),Once Upon a Time  (02-11-2015),Papillon  (03-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (02-11-2015)