+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What did you do to prepare for IVF?

Hi all
    After 2 clomid cycles and very painful intercourse during these cycles at ovulation I told my doctor that I only do one more cycle and then take a break. We agreed to commence Ivf treatment in February with my first appointment on CD1 in January to put me on the pill I think and give me another rubella booster (can't fall pregnant for 28 days thereafter).
    I am excited about moving forward but am worried it won't work.

What did you do or can you do to prepare physically and emotionally for Ivf? Is there anything you can do to increase your chances?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi @TryingForNo1

Physically, I only did what anyone who was trying to have a baby naturally might do. I started a good quality multivitamin 3 months prior to starting IVF, and I put DH on a Men's MV too. We overhauled our diet to include much less fat, sugar and salt and also started up a walking program. Nothing too strenuous, just a gentle 1 hour walk each day. That was not only a physical benefit, but a mental one too.

Emotionally, I didn't do anything to prepare myself. In all honesty, I probably went in blind and quite naively. I had presumed (wrongly, as it turned out) that I would just go in, have one or two shots at IVF, and voila! I'd have myself a baby.

Things did not go to plan and (with the benefit of hindsight) to be honest I really don't think there was anything I could possibly have done to prepare myself emotionally for that.

All I can suggest is to be as positive and as hopeful as you can (I really do believe that helps) and to let the chips fall where they may. Try not to Google too much - it will only cause you undue stress, and relax as much as you can so that you enjoy every moment.

Also, get as much support around you as you possibly can. No matter what the outcome is, you will need good people around you to hold you up when things do get tough.

Wishing you a successful journey,

Blossom.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 20-10-2015 at 06:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm much the same. Made sure I had a good multivitamin & put DH on a quality one too.

I made sure I exercised to help my chances. I was always intending on doing acupuncture but I got too busy/distracted at work so forgot to book it in.

The most important one I found was telling a few close friends about it so I had people to talk too. They might not understand exactly what you're going through but it's great to have someone to listen.

Oh & I probably shouldn't write this but I also enjoyed a few glasses of wine as I didn't drink at all from when I started all the meds

I just tried to go into it with as positive mindset as what I could. I also found reading through the ivf threads on here helped to gain some sort of idea on what happens.

It can seem really daunting but exciting all at the same time. Like anything you'll go through good days & bad days. I found having my friends know about ivf really helped me on the bad days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with all that Blossom wrote. My partner and I conceived with a donor, however on our end we took the pregnancy multi-vitamins 3 months prior, tried to improve our diet and went to counselling (standard policy for using a donor). We didn't put too much pressure on ourselves, still had a few nights out drinking and eating not so great food.

Our only hard time was finding a support network to chat to other people who had been through it. So online communities became our saviour.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @TryingForNo1 - agree with other posts. Start your prenatal vitamins. I also made sure i looked after my health from about 2-3 months before but eating well (avoided processed foods and fast food / take away at lunch times etc), didn't have much alcohol (i.e avoided binge drinking and big nights out but still had a glass here and there) and started exercising regularly. About 3 times a week (joined the gym again) and did spin class and running. I guess it was all just to build up my immune system and overall well being. That was all before i did my FET cycle. I didn't do much to prepare for my fresh cycle but made sure i had the right support around me. Also i did a lot of research so i knew exactly what FS was talking about and i could ask the right questions. Wishing you a short successful IVF journey in 2016 xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Take folate, establish habits that will help you cope: yoga/meditation/regular catch ups with a close friend... Whatever works. It's an emotional roller coaster.

Listen to your doctors, take a notepad in with all your questions, stay off google.

Good luck!