+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey. I have been on it for years.

For me, it is used to treat anxiety.

Side effects for me are increased anxiety, some lightheadedness, nausea and loss of appetite. This lasts 1-2 days for me after starting.

I can feel it kicking on within a week or so. By a few weeks I have no 'bad' side effects.

It doesn't make me put on weight and it doesn't seem to affect my appetite much. It does affect libido a bit.

SSRI's (which is what these meds are known as) are the most common to prescribe as generally they work well for people with smaller side effects.

If you want to know anything more specific please feel free to ask.

I only just started on mine again after ceasing due to MS (I'm currently pregnant) so the starting meds is fresh in my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Hey. I have been on it for years.

For me, it is used to treat anxiety.

Side effects for me are increased anxiety, some lightheadedness, nausea and loss of appetite. This lasts 1-2 days for me after starting.

I can feel it kicking on within a week or so. By a few weeks I have no 'bad' side effects.

It doesn't make me put on weight and it doesn't seem to affect my appetite much. It does affect libido a bit.

SSRI's (which is what these meds are known as) are the most common to prescribe as generally they work well for people with smaller side effects.

If you want to know anything more specific please feel free to ask.

I only just started on mine again after ceasing due to MS (I'm currently pregnant) so the starting meds is fresh in my mind.
    Thank you. That's very helpful. Do you think any of these side effects are so severe they might be an issue for me looking after my 18 month old DS or driving as we live semi rural and nothing is within walking distance for me and nor do I have anyone else able to drive me should I need to go anywhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, for the 1st day or 2 I ensure DH is at home to look after DS and I do not drive. I *could* function looking after DS but it just isn't pleasant.

I don't drive much (driving anxiety) but since I am more anxious and light headed I would not. Definitely not the first day.

Some people find taking it before bed neans they do not have to deal with these side effects. I could not do this as I can't sleep taking it at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, I just had a thought. Not sure what strength you were prescribed (you can always PM of you prefer) but I used to take half dosenfor a week and then go to full dose (I was prescribed 10mg). It meant the side effects were not as bad. If you are higher i.e. 20mg, just take half for a week or two. When you increase again I find side effects are minimal or not at all there (I just upped from 10mg to 20mg this weekend. And I was fine).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks. I'm on the fence about taking them as I haven't told anyone, including dp. I need to still be able to function and it's so scary. I've been sitting here for the last hour trying to convince myself to get dressed and go down to the chemist as I promised myself that i would this morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I make a suggestion? I don't know your situation at all but you do need support - whether you take meds or not.

Have you been referred to a counsellor/psychologist/psychiatrist? It might be worth seeing someone - they can even help you talk to your dp. Because it is so hard telling people you need help. I kept it from my now DH for a long time. He now knows and is so supportive and it helps me so much.

Also hugs. It's hard. Sometimes you aren't ready and that's ok. Maybe take a 'detour' before taking the meds. Hugs hugs hugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yes been down the route of psych. It's pretty much a no-go now that DS is 18 months. I don't have anyone at all to leave him with, even if it is just for an hour.

That's why we are going down the meds route.

Not sure what you mean by detour though??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was thinking psych. I take my DS with me and get him to play with toys etc.

You can also get some online self help info from beyond blue etc etc - may also be an option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for your kind advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ok I've gone with the taking a half dose which is 10mg. I'm comfortable with that idea.