+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need help from crafty people :)

I am making a giant ruler height chart out of a 2m plank of pine for my kids and need some suggestions on how I can get a nice neat straight line for each centremeter mark. I'll be using a stencil with acrylic paint for the numbers but not sure how to do each cm line.

I did a practice run today and am not happy with the results. First I used an oil based paint pen and a ruler but a few of the paint lines have run under the ruler making them thicker than the rest of the lines. Then I used a thin paint brush and black acrylic paint and while I like the look better than the paint pen, it annoys me that the lines are all slightly different, you can see it's been hand painted.

Any suggestions on how I can get straight lines all the same?

Thanks!
    Last edited by twolittlemunchkins; 18-10-2015 at 09:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you cut out a stencil of the lines and dab the paint on with a sponge?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a great idea!

How about a black decal of some sort? Or a tape that is cut to size so all marks are all identical?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd make up a stencil for that as well. Or see if you can source some vinyl decals maybe.

I hand make lots of thing and my perfectionist streak used to pick up every little imperfection and annoy me. But sometimes it's the imperfections that make is special. It shows it was made with love and not on a massive production line.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need help from crafty people :)

Thanks for the replies. If the one I make properly turns out well I might make a few more and see if I can sell them 😊

Could I get a line stencil made somewhere? Or how would I make one? I have never really done any crafty things before so am completely clueless! Would spotlight have vinyl decals?

Here are some pictures of what I've tried so far. Pic 1 is using the paint pen, which ran under the ruler a few times. Pic 2 is hand painted.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1445125628.859914.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1445125642.608751.jpg
    Last edited by twolittlemunchkins; 18-10-2015 at 09:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd use a fine tip permanent marker. Use a square to make sure you're getting the lines straight.

I would have it all painted and finished, then use the permanent marker to add the details at the end.

Hope that helps..!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had another thought.. Use two permanent markers, a thicker and a thinner one. The thicker one for the 10cm marks and the thinner one for the 1cm marks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks preggasaurus. Ive just put some varnish on one end of the plank so when it dries I can try the permanent marker. I used permanent marker on the pine before it was stained or anything and it bled into the wood a bit, that's when I went to the paint pen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Permanent marker might work. Just be careful incase it doesn't dry instantly on the varnish incase it streaks when you take the ruler away!

I've made stencils from thick card or even OHP sheets or the clear binding covers! Just mark out what you need and use a box cutter or fine scissors to cut out the blanks. You could do a 10cm section and just move the stencil down as you go.

It's a great idea. Post a pic when you're done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Finished product. I'm pretty proud of it 😊
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1447395741.537496.jpg

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twolittlemunchkins For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (13-11-2015),Californication  (14-11-2015),Mod-xkwzit  (13-11-2015)