+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    It bothers me how much yard the McMansions take up.

There are a lot of 405 squares subdivisions happening in my suburb with a huge grey box plonked on it that doesn't even have room for a clothesline out the back.

I live in Qld and the weather is nice to be outside all year round, I don't get it!
    This is a must for me. The clothesline.

Mine atm is not the best but I use the heck out of it and rarely ever use our dryer.

Anyway it's off topic lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that a good backyard is a must for me. My kids are too active to be stuck indoors or waiting for me to walk them to a park. Where we live, our block is 900sqm & is one of the smaller/ more modest blocks of land, but then again, we have a lot of farmland nearby. Its funny how our expectations of house vs yard differ for the area you live in. I came from a farm of 4,000 acres, & that was considered quite small in the area we were living in too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    It bothers me how much yard the McMansions take up.

There are a lot of 405 squares subdivisions happening in my suburb with a huge grey box plonked on it that doesn't even have room for a clothesline out the back.

I live in Qld and the weather is nice to be outside all year round, I don't get it!
    The thing that really turns me off about some of these new estates is how close the houses are together. The houses are so oversized that you've got little to no buffer from your next door neighbour's abode.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Different times huh. Our block is only 680sq but people who come to our place always comment how big our yard is, it's not, it's that our house is small and doesn't take up the whole block!
    We do want to extend but want to preserve as much yard as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Second lounge room - worth it?

I had an old little cottage and aspired to a big new home. When I moved into my McMansion (5 bed, 3 bath, 3 living) do you know how much it increased my overall happiness? Zero. I was just as happy in the cottage. Now I'm in a smaller home and the only thing I really miss about the McMansion is the water point in the kitchen that hooked up to the fridge to supply chilled filtered water 😜
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 19-10-2015 at 07:48.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (19-10-2015),Full House  (19-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (19-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent my teenage years in a massive house for a 4 person family. It definitely had its benefits. Completely agree that it's unnecessary though. Our house is 100sqm and more than big enough. Yes, we'd use and enjoy extra space - and may one day extend - but it's amazing how many people are shocked at the size of our house. I must admit that it gets to me when people see massive houses at a necessity, then complain about the cost of living :\

Our ideal floorplan probably wouldn't have multiple indoor living areas, but it would have a large living area plus bedrooms big/separate enough to retreat to.

As it stand, we regularly have up to 20 people over, and it works well. Most of the activity takes place outside (plenty of room), then there are usually some people talking/playing games at the kitchen table, and people retreat to the lounge room if they want quieter space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some of you would really hate my place haha! We have a small 4br house on a 380sq block. So not much land at all! However, it suits us just fine right now. We have a decent amount of entertaining space outside and a park directly across from us. We don't have time to maintain a large block of land. My ILs live on what I consider to be a huge block and they spend a lot of time looking after it - mowing, hedges, gardens... No thanks!

Each to their own...

I honestly don't think the house defines the lifestyle, I would love a bigger house one day (not massive, just bigger than this one), and I don't expect it will automatically mean I become disconnected from my kids. I expect we'll still hang out together because that's what we do. But I also would like us all to be able to enjoy our own space without having to close ourselves off in bedrooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in a house with five living rooms! Six if you were to count the one in the granny flat, and seven if you were to count the music room. Now I have one living room and it suits me fine, I feel no need for more space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting hearing people's perspectives on the size of houses.
    I grew up in a huge old farmhouse, loved it but dh and I have always had smaller houses. Considering how outdoors we are having good sized outside areas and land are more important. We could never live on a small block with no lawn or gardens, room for the kids to climb trees and the dog to run. Rather the room outside than inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    When we did an extension, we did not want a second living space as was down in the plans in the architect's first draft. But, we did opt for an extra bedroom instead. We have a big house, but it's basic.

I just want to say that just because people live in a bigger house, doesn't mean they are wasteful or materialistic in all aspects of life.
    Very true. Sometimes big house = big extended family, or family interstate/overseas that frequently visit and love to store things in your house! So I've heard...