+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    That might be true for you but it isn't for many people. Where I live many homes are huge, new and cost a ridiculous amount to heat and cool. We're building a large house at the moment but to offset the size we are not having any cooling as well as other ways to make heating a cooling efficient. But it costs more to do this (ironically).

Drive around McMansions all around Australia and you'll see plenty of egs of what the pp is referring to.
    Loads of hideous grey boxes going up around here. Not for me. Neither are material things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Second lounge room - worth it?

I agree the giant McMansions people are building today are ridiculously huge but my house is 70 years old and the houses I sell are mostly built in the same era and most are all 3 bedrooms and have a separate lounge, dining and family room on decent size blocks so for me that's a typical size house and not big at all , the inner city semis and terraces are usually small but definitely not in the suburbs ( Sydney)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I agree the giant McMansions people are building today are ridiculously huge but my house is 70 years old and the houses I sell are mostly built in the same era and most are all 3 bedrooms and have a separate lounge, dining and family room on decent size blocks so for me that's a typical size house and not big at all , the inner city semis and terraces are usually small but definitely not in the suburbs ( Sydney)
    Some of them are so ugly around here. I hate the council for approving them. Who in their right mind wants to knock down some of the amazing federation homes anyway???

And where do people get the money? House behind ours sold for $940k over 2 years ago. It was 3 bedrooms. They've built this 2 storey monstrosity.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    But these houses in the past would have housed 5-8 people, not 3. That's what they would have been built for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Some of them are so ugly around here. I hate the council for approving them. Who in their right mind wants to knock down some of the amazing federation homes anyway???

And where do people get the money? House behind ours sold for $940k over 2 years ago. It was 3 bedrooms. They've built this 2 storey monstrosity.
    I agree - I sold a beautiful 1920,s federation for $1.3 in Oatley last year and they tore it down to build this atrocious McMansion that would have cost a small fortune , it's such a shame the council doesn't heritage list more of those great houses

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^I was just about to say this - what is the standard family now? Like 1.8 kids or something. We saw show homes yesterday that were 5 bed, 3 living + study huge huge huge houses. I know there are still big families around, but a lot of these houses would have many empty rooms if it's only housing 4 or 5 people. Seems a bit sad tbh!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We don't have a family room but we rent a big 4 bedroom house with 3 kids. It's an older reno'ed house. It is nice as it means their rooms aren't cluttered with toys but it does just move rooms (we have had a family room in the past).

As to big houses, I do see the point that it isn't good for the environment and I cringe at the McMansions. I wish we could forgo cooling but it gets to 45/46 out her quite a bit in summer. We use an evap/swampie as people in the country call them so they are more efficient than split system.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My house is over 100 years old. It is tiled all downstairs with very high ceilings. We don't even need to put air-con on 35 degree days. Upstairs we have ceiling fans. In winter, yes, our house is freezing. Because of the tiles and high ceilings, our air-con doesn't work well so we don't use it. We have an electric rug that we sit under. The kids have electric blankets.

We do have a big mortgage, but I still only work 3 days a week.

Our furniture is is very modest. We have 2 tvs but only use one. We have one computer. One iPad (I have one but it's a work one) I don't have a huge wardrobe of clothes. My kids wear second hand, so do I. I have one pair of trainers, one pair of converse, one pair of thongs, one pair of black going out shoes, one pair ballet flats. That's it.
    You don't need to justify yourself 😊 I'm just speaking in general terms I know its not the case for everyone. I do see it a lot tho, even amongst people I know.

Like I said I'm just expressing how I feel.

Bottom line is we don't need all the ( excessive) material possessions we have.

Perhaps a discussion for another thread?
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 18-10-2015 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It bothers me how much yard the McMansions take up.

There are a lot of 405 squares subdivisions happening in my suburb with a huge grey box plonked on it that doesn't even have room for a clothesline out the back.

I live in Qld and the weather is nice to be outside all year round, I don't get it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    It bothers me how much yard the McMansions take up.

There are a lot of 405 squares subdivisions happening in my suburb with a huge grey box plonked on it that doesn't even have room for a clothesline out the back.

I live in Qld and the weather is nice to be outside all year round, I don't get it!
    Agree. We're in a raised Qlder with a huge backyard for DS to run around in and we go and sit under one of the big shady trees. Its lovely!

We have been looking at some of the display homes in the new suburbs near us (looking at display homes is a hobby of ours, lol!). Some of them have 4 (!!!!) separate living areas...You'd never spend time together! And the bedrooms and backyards are always tiny, with the next house right on top of you.

I would love a second living area though, so that I could turn it into my library It's my dream to have a library room one day!