+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Another thought. We have a 4br / 2 bath home, with one large open plan living/kitchen/dining/lounge space in the middle. The main bedroom is a parents retreat, has a full size en suite and is situated down the other end of the house to the other bedrooms. What we've done is change that room into a sort of study/lounge room (it's a large bedroom) with a fold out lounge/bed for guests. DH and I have our bedroom in the old study which is small but dark and works well, then the other two bedrooms can be used by DD and bub on the way. My point is that as circumstances change and kids get older, you need something with a bit of flexibility. We like that we can move furniture around a bit if we have lots of people coming over, and we can comfortably accommodate at least two families 4 adults + 4 or more kids with a bit of creative thinking about the space. It's a decent sized house under the roofline but not ridiculously massive, probably about 20ish squares? - the key is having flexibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well this thread has gained more traction than I would have thought! Loving the debate though and waste is something DH and I are very mindful of (hence the question in the first place actually).

ETA: If we were to have 2 living spaces, I would want the second one to be part of the main open plan area but have the ability to be closed off if needed. I don't love those rooms isolated out the front, away from the "soul" of the house iykwim.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 18-10-2015 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    This is our floor plan. Our place is the average size of a house in the UK, but a staggering 1/3 of the average Australian house size

Attachment 74609
    We lived in a 1 bedroom flat in India so I definitely understand living in minimal spaces.

But there is a difference in living minimally cos you have to and living ideally. We lived in a small house cos that's all my folks could afford then. We were still happy and enjoyed life.

Ideally 2 living spaces is perfect for my family as it suits our temperaments and lifestyle. But individual bedrooms tho isn't essential. So a 3bed is ok as I'm happy for my girls to share a room, but obviously 4bd would give us more space and keep the baby away from the bigger girls. Whilst I could manage with a small kitchen, I'd be ecstatic with a large chef style kitchen as cooking/eating is a passion for me.

I have zero use for a backyard but dh thinks one is essential for kids.

The irony is that as a defence family we get little choice in housing. We are due to move interstate in 6-8wks and currently there are no houses avail. So at this point we can't even pick what we like in houses.... Just need to pick a house that's available at that time... Even without a chefs kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When we did an extension, we did not want a second living space as was down in the plans in the architect's first draft. But, we did opt for an extra bedroom instead. We have a big house, but it's basic.

I just want to say that just because people live in a bigger house, doesn't mean they are wasteful or materialistic in all aspects of life.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (18-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (18-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I also think of the extra costs of heating / cooling larger homes which is where i guess the environmental impact comes in, but its also a financial one. Bigger home usually means bigger mortgage, bigger bills therefore more work and less time to spend as a family, with our kids.

Its so true tho, i feel like we really only need bigger homes to fit in all the material possessions we have accumulated ( bigger beds, bigger tvs, 2+ tvs, several gaming consoles - to name a few examples)

We moved from a villa style home ( small 3 bdr, 1 bath) to a 3 bdrm, 2 living areas, 2 bath home a few years ago. At first it was like "what are we gonna put in all this extra space" and now its like " why do we have so much stuff its driving me crazy". Interesting when u think about it.

Im very much currently embracing the minimalist lifestyle, in every aspect of my life and its so therapeutic. For me more stuff = more stress. Stress from loans, mess, upkeep etc. The sheer amount of clothing we had as a family, the toys the kids had....it never hit me till i started trying to minimalise all of it.

We really have so much more than we need or even use half the time. Its crazy!
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 18-10-2015 at 20:58.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I just want to say that just because people live in a bigger house, doesn't mean they are wasteful or materialistic in all aspects of life.
    sure, but I think for most people it's not even a consideration. It's not actually necessary to live in such a large space, but most Australians think it is.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Renn  (19-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is our floor plan. Our place is the average size of a house in the UK, but a staggering 1/3 of the average Australian house size

Attachment 74609
    I grew up in a house about this size. We just had a dining room as well but it was small and perfectly adequate. My DH grew up in a flat and loved it. My friends were always around at my house..there was no need to go to a 'different lounge room.'
    As an adult, if I want some peace from my kids I either send them for some quiet time in their bedrooms or I have quiet time in my bedroom. My bed's comfy and this works perfectly fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I also think of the extra costs of heating / cooling larger homes which is where i guess the environmental impact comes in, but its also a financial one. Bigger home usually means bigger mortgage, bigger bills therefore more work and less time to spend as a family, with our kids.

Its so true tho, i feel like we really only need bigger homes to fit in all the material possessions we have accumulated ( bigger beds, bigger tvs, 2+ tvs, several gaming consoles - to name a few examples)

We moved from a villa style home ( small 3 bdr, 1 bath) to a 3 bdrm, 2 living areas, 2 bath home a few years ago. At first it was like "what are we gonna put in all this extra space" and now its like " why do we have so much stuff its driving me crazy". Interesting when u think about it.

Im very much currently embracing the minimalist lifestyle, in every aspect of my life and its so therapeutic. For me more stuff = more stress. Stress from loans, mess, upkeep etc. The sheer amount of clothing we had as a family, the toys the kids had....it never hit me till i started trying to minimalise all of it.

We really have so much more than we need or even use half the time. Its crazy!
    My house is over 100 years old. It is tiled all downstairs with very high ceilings. We don't even need to put air-con on 35 degree days. Upstairs we have ceiling fans. In winter, yes, our house is freezing. Because of the tiles and high ceilings, our air-con doesn't work well so we don't use it. We have an electric rug that we sit under. The kids have electric blankets.

We do have a big mortgage, but I still only work 3 days a week.

Our furniture is is very modest. We have 2 tvs but only use one. We have one computer. One iPad (I have one but it's a work one) I don't have a huge wardrobe of clothes. My kids wear second hand, so do I. I have one pair of trainers, one pair of converse, one pair of thongs, one pair of black going out shoes, one pair ballet flats. That's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My house is over 100 years old. It is tiled all downstairs with very high ceilings. We don't even need to put air-con on 35 degree days. Upstairs we have ceiling fans. In winter, yes, our house is freezing. Because of the tiles and high ceilings, our air-con doesn't work well so we don't use it. We have an electric rug that we sit under. The kids have electric blankets.

We do have a big mortgage, but I still only work 3 days a week.

Our furniture is is very modest. We have 2 tvs but only use one. We have one computer. One iPad (I have one but it's a work one) I don't have a huge wardrobe of clothes. My kids wear second hand, so do I. I have one pair of trainers, one pair of converse, one pair of thongs, one pair of black going out shoes, one pair ballet flats. That's it.
    That might be true for you but it isn't for many people. Where I live many homes are huge, new and cost a ridiculous amount to heat and cool. We're building a large house at the moment but to offset the size we are not having any cooling as well as other ways to make heating a cooling efficient. But it costs more to do this (ironically).

Drive around McMansions all around Australia and you'll see plenty of egs of what the pp is referring to.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Full House  (19-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sure, but I think for most people it's not even a consideration. It's not actually necessary to live in such a large space, but most Australians think it is.
    Of course it isn't necessary. But I like it. It is my one thing that I don't want to compromise on. Our first house was a 2 bedroom shoe box. I grew up in a tiny housing commission house. There were 8 of us. I'm the youngest of 6 kids.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-10-2015 at 21:30.