+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our theatre room is the kids playroom. If we watch tv (which is very rarely), we watch in the family room. We built and shuffled the plan around a little and for us right now with 2 littlies, its all we need.

We plan to build again once the kids are older and will obviously have/need more space as they will need their own room too. If its your 'forever' house then yes, I'd be thinking more to the future than now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Second lounge room - worth it?

I think that anyone who is vehemently opposed to a second living area has not lived with a teenager. Or many kids for that matter.

We are a blended family of 5 kids and there are times when all 5 kids are there that I would dearly LOVE to have a serene lounge to retreat to ON MY OWN, while DP and the four boys watch sport on TV. We do spend lots of quality time together enjoying the same movie or programs together, but when you've got 7 people in the house there are times when a parent wants to have time alone together.

Also, keep in mind that once kids hit teen years there is no longer 'after the kids have gone to bed'...they're up just as late as you! Not all teenagers want to spend the evening hanging with their parents. It will be nice to give ours some space of their own when we build a new house (aside from their bedrooms). I'd like to create a place they love bringing their friends to without us listening in all the time.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (18-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (18-10-2015),Moxy  (18-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    From a personal and professional point of view ( real estate agent) a second living area or family room is a must! I currently have 10 adults in my main lounge room watching the Moto GP and 8 kids in my family room playing - even though I only have 1 child we have people over a lot and I love that the kids play in the family room and not just in his bedroom , especially when entertaining it's great for the kids to be able to have their own space

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (18-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I think that anyone who is vehemently opposed to a second living area has not lived with a teenager. Or many kids for that matter.

Or maybe they just have a different opinion to you, which is perfectly okay for them to do

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love another living area. Ultimately I want open living, kitchen, dining but with a large study/craft room opening from it with big doors. That way I can still do that sort of stuff at night while DH watches TV. And when the kids are bigger I can shut myself in there but still be close enough that I can be part of the action if I want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    We have just the one loungeroom and not sure we would have it any other way. Dh and I both grew up with 1 loungeroom and it was a real family place to be and to us it's how it should be. We wouldn't like our loungeroom and their loungeroom, we share that room as a family. The boys have an allocated area in a corner of their rooms for toys etc which is enough, they don't need their own loungeroom. My cousin has a massive 2 storey house where her and dh are down 1 end and the kids are the other end. The reality is they rarely see the kids, they only have meals together really. I think it's quite sad how so much space has put such distance between them. My cousin feels it too and misses the connection they once had as a family even though her children are older, At the time they built 4 years ago they thought they were building their dream home.
    I kinda agree with this.

Homes have just become so over the top IMO. Separate rooms for everything, ridiculously big to separate everyone. I personally don't think there is any need for two lounge rooms. My mum and dad raised 5 kids in a standard 3 BDRM, 1 bathrm home and were all really close.

I certainly don't think its a necessity or even beneficial.

* this is purely my opinion I'm not suggesting other hubbers are bad parents or it negatively affects their family. I am just passionate about how excessive we have become as a society in general.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (19-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (19-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be clear are we talking about a second lounge on top of a family rm or a family rm?

A house with lounge rm, family rm is pretty standard these days ( although not a " necessity" ) but another lounge rm, media rm on top of this is pretty over the top IMO.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Second lounge room - worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I find it baffling because large housing has such a huge impact on our environment, and it just seems so unnecessary to me. Australia is facing a housing shortage in some areas, and people are worried about having to share their living space with some toys because they have kids? Yes, it's baffling to me. It baffles me that people don't think of the big picture. Maybe it's easy not to think about when you're not in an area where a housing shortage is a real concern. Or perhaps people aren't considering the environmental impact?

As for the cbf getting kids to clean up thing...sure, there's been the odd time where we haven't done the clean up, we just ignore and do it the next day. I have children, therefore it's inevitable there will be toys in the house. It's easier to deal with if you don't overload on toys, and honestly, it's for such a short time of their life anyway.

FTR - I did live in a two living space house once...it didn't take long before I felt like we were just filling up space with stuff because the space was there to fill. We moved on, and downsized in the process and I have no desire to go back.
    I can't thank you enough for this comment. I honestly can't see how we will ever get our planet out of the mess it's in when we blindly keep consuming more and more and more.

I live in a 3 bedroom, 80sq meter flat. With two kids, two adults and a cat. It's fine. It's completely adequate. And we have plenty of neighbours in our block with teenagers. The majority of the rest of the world lives like this, we have just got so accustomed to our completely lavish lifestyles we don't realise how spoilt we are.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 18-10-2015 at 19:26.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015),cheeeeesecake  (18-10-2015),Full House  (18-10-2015),Renn  (19-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I can't thank you enough for this comment. I honestly can't see how we will ever get our planet out of the mess it's in when we blindly keep consuming more and more and more.

I live in a 3 bedroom, 60sq meter flat. With two kids, two adults and a cat. It's fine. It's completely adequate. And we have plenty of neighbours in our block with teenagers. The majority of the rest of the world lives like this, we have just got so accustomed to our completely lavish lifestyles we don't realise how spoilt we are.
    Completely agree. We as a society are such consumers, & we dont even realise how wasteful we are (just talking in general, not just housing). We need bigger houses to fill with more 'stuff', instead of fitting into the homes we have. Granted I have a 3 bedroom & 2 living space home &I feel that its quite spacious. My kids share a bedroom, which sooo many people think is completely shocking and unimaginable. I don't buy a lot of 'stuff' (in fact I am slightly dreading the influx of stuff that will come with xmas), & I try to get rid of the excess at home. I try to make US fit our house, instead of finding a house to fit us.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This is our floor plan. Our place is the average size of a house in the UK, but a staggering 1/3 of the average Australian house size

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1445160593.995605.jpg

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (18-10-2015),Full House  (18-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (18-10-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast