+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Think about when the kids are teenagers! I would love a second living space so they could have their own space (and us, ours!)
    These were our thoughts when we bought our current house. We have the lounge room where hubby and I watch tv at night then the family room where all of my daughters toys are and that's where she watches TV mostly. My kitchen, dining and family room are a large open play area so it's good because I can keep an eye on her while I cook or tidy up the kitchen and she's content that I'm close enough that I don't need to be right there with her.

I wouldn't buy a house without a second lounge room now, that was one of our non-negotiables and I'm so glad we stuck to it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I agree, I would always choose a second/separate lounge media room over bedroom size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. Was just asking as we know heaps of people that have 2 lounge areas and the formal one either rarely gets used, or the kids crap is spread over 2 rooms and the kids run in and out of both anyway.

Growing up all our toys had to stay in our rooms or be packed up at the end of the day (we are going to have decent sized kids rooms), and the second lounge pretty much never got used which is why I ask. Same with DH - second lounge is used maybe once or twice a year and was hardly used as he was growing up. PIL have an awesome deck area so everyone is always in the open plan area and outside.

So many things to think about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Whether your family ends up using the second lounge much or not, it sounds like a must for resale going by others replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Whether your family ends up using the second lounge much or not, it sounds like a must for resale going by others replies
    This is where we also get stuck though but which we have also considered. But we are hoping this is our family home and won't be getting sold until we are old and fuddy, when the resale value will only go as far as sticking us in an old folks home

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't have a second lounge/play room in our house. Just yesterday, I moved our study stuff into our bedroom (it's massive!) and am working on clearing out all the junk I had stored in the study, so that it will become our playroom/second lounge/spare room - we will be putting a sofa bed and tv in there. The kids can have that as their space and we can move all the toys that currently live in the lounge, down there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi again, just wanted to say that, although we have second living/media room, I wouldn't categorise any of them as 'formal'. we have open plan lounge/dining, and the other room is rumpus/tv/ kids space, which will come in extra handy as they get older and have mates around. I think the idea of 'formal lounge' is not really the go these days. good luck with your choice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got rid of our second living room. I don't find the need for two lounge rooms tbh. But we don't watch a lot of tv and don't own a single game console so there's no issues there. I'm also not putting hopes on my kids wanting to hang out with each other when they're teenagers and will probanly retreat to their bedrooms for privacy. When we have looked for houses we haven't even bothered with the big 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, family and formal living area type houses. They just don't appeal to us at all so I think build your house how you want it and don't worry about re-sale. I am also a fan of big bedrooms. I hate houses with several living areas and tiny bedrooms. All our bedrooms are double rooms and it's fantastic. We fit beds + all the kids stuff in their rooms, and when they're teenagers they'll have a good sized space to hang out in each.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an open plan living dining/lounge and a separate media/theatre room. It never gets used - such a waste of space for us.

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The house we live in, that I bought pre DH and pre DS is a small (13sq living) 3bedroom, 2 bathroom, 1 living home.
    I can honestly say that as a single, couple or couple with a baby or toddler, a second living area hasn't been missed by us.
    However the house we're building has 2 living areas.