+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Dehydration?

Can anyone tell how to tell if my DS is dehydrated?

Hes 19 months old. He's been sick since Tuesday. He's vomiting pretty much each night. Whether it's all the fluid he's had or just a little. The first night he couldn't keep water down but went to bed ok. He's had high temps every day and they only come down with panadol. Highest he got was 39.5 before panadol kicked in.
    He's barely eaten since Tuesday and he is also not drinking much water either. He drinks a small amount of milk and managed a little juice but he's just not interested at the moment.
    Yesterday he didn't have a decent wet nappy from about 12 until nearly 7. Today his nappy this morning was only slightly wet and I'm still waiting for a decent wet nappy. He did a massive #2 this morning and perked up but now he's gone back down hill.
    He's had a little bit of a muffin this morning and a small amount of toast with a little bit of water but that's all.

How do u tell if a toddler is dehydrated?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Has he seen the dr? If he's still vomiting I would take him in and get something to stop it.

Try some hydralite from the chemist. A big indicator is not enough wet nappies.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 17-10-2015 at 19:24. Reason: Link not permitted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started a thread on this with my 10 month old a while ago.
    - sunken eyes
    - lethargic
    - check if his mouth and tongue are dry
    - number of wet nappies
    - elasticity of skin.

If you're worried, take him to ER. Little ones can go down hill quickly, and getting a drip in for fluids on a dehydrated person is always harder, let alone a toddler.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (17-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Pearlygirl;8315253]Has he seen the dr? If he's still vomiting I would take him in and get something to stop it.

Try some hydralite from the chemist. A big indicator is not enough wet nappies. Look at this link too

He seen the doctor on Thursday. She wasn't really worried. Told me he was teething and that was it.

Thank you! I will have a read through. I'll be keeping count of his nappies lol
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 17-10-2015 at 19:24. Reason: Ref to deleted link

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    I started a thread on this with my 10 month old a while ago.
    - sunken eyes
    - lethargic
    - check if his mouth and tongue are dry
    - number of wet nappies
    - elasticity of skin.

If you're worried, take him to ER. Little ones can go down hill quickly, and getting a drip in for fluids on a dehydrated person is always harder, let alone a toddler.
    Thank you, that's really helpful, I'll have a look at your thread.

Thank you for that. I will keep a close eye on him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope he is ok and starts to feel better soon. I know you said that the GP wasn't concerned about the vomiting, but if you are, you could always go for a second opinion. An anti emetic could stop him feeling nauseated long enough to get some decent food into him, and for him to drink more water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds pretty extreme for teething. I agree with PPs if you are worried seek further help. Maybe call the Healthline and see what they suggest?

Hope he starts feeling better soon - it's the worst seeing your little unwell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Dancer View Post
    Hope he is ok and starts to feel better soon. I know you said that the GP wasn't concerned about the vomiting, but if you are, you could always go for a second opinion. An anti emetic could stop him feeling nauseated long enough to get some decent food into him, and for him to drink more water.
    Thank you. He's gone to bed so hopefully he feels a bit rested after that. Had a rough sleep last night.
    Oh I wasn't really happy with the gp. She's not our normal one and every time I've seen her for something I feel rushed and ignored. I am hoping our normal gp is back next week so will try and see her. Not many doctors will be open tomorrow so bit tough to try so at least Monday. Unless he does go really down hill, I'll take him to the hospital. Thank you, I'll see what Dp can get at least. He seems ok during the day with the vomiting. Coughs a bit but no vomit. Just at night it's happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Sounds pretty extreme for teething. I agree with PPs if you are worried seek further help. Maybe call the Healthline and see what they suggest?

Hope he starts feeling better soon - it's the worst seeing your little unwell!
    Oh it does sound extreme hey?! Teething is playing a part because he's getting 4 at once but it's more than that. Was quite annoyed when she said that and brushed me off.

That's a good idea. I always forget about calling them lol.

Thank you! I hope so too. Feel helpless.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (17-10-2015)

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dehydration?

Gosh your poor little one, you could also call the at home Dr service if there is one that services your area...

That does seem extreme for teething, I have never heard of vomiting as a result of teething??

Hope you find some relief soon!

Big hugs