+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Any vets here??

Our beautiful boy sliced both legs open last night in the garden and they have sent us home with a drain in.

Is this normal? I'm totally freaked out. How is this able to not get infected 😱 his front muscle has come completely off the bone and had to be stitched back on. I can't sleep because he's howling (he's in laundry) I bought a crate but he didn't fit with his bucket ahhh

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1445005409.277164.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1445005423.665392.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He shouldn't be in pain. My dogs have had some pretty nasty operations and they've always come home so high on pain killers they can hardly walk sometimes. Is he howling because he's upset in the laundry or because of pain do you think? You can get really big crates my boxer easily fits in ours with a bucket on but it takes her a day to get used to not hitting the bucket on the sides and scaring herself. Then you can keep it in the lounge room or wherever you are so he's not scared.
    If you think he's in pain give the vet a call and get some extra pain relief. You shouldn't have to take him back in just go pick it up.
    Poor dog. It's awful to see them hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any vets here??

Not a vet but know a little and drains are normal as let infection out though thought they would be covered as can also let infection in... Did they give some antibiotics as well..,
    I just want to come over and give him a hug - we used to have a gun dog with same colouring ... There cry can be heart breaking....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Oh, the poor, darling boy!!!

Did they give you some antibiotics and painkillers for him??? Looks bloody terrible and painful!!!

Ring up the vets and tell them you're worried about infection and ask them to explain the healing process to you with the drain etc. It'll have to come out eventually.

Hope he's feeling better soon and whatever caused those injuries in your garden has been removed so it won't happen again!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am so not a vet but I have watched lots of american SPCA shows. With wounds they don't tend to cover - as long as they are kept clean. I have seen some use manuka honey on it. But I think the belief is that it heals better uncovered.

Hope the furbaby is feeling a bit better. I agree with a PP that if he looks in pain get more pain meds from the vet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought a crate but he doesn't fit into it I'm hoping to get another today from a friend. I can't afford to buy one as the vet was $2,000

He doesn't want to eat and take his medications this morning so that's fantastic.... Not!!! We have another dog so they are selerated but I tried having them next to eachtoehr and they just wanted to play.

He's in pain relief sedation antibiotics and anti inflammatory my phone is being annoying sorry for spelling. I was really appalled by our vet experience but that's a whole other thread!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a vet. A drain like that is totally normal. Have they taught you how to care for it? You need to clean where it comes out of the skin because it will ooze out of there as well as out the end of the drain. If you have any questions you can PM me, I don't mind.
    I would ring them and let them know he won't take his meds though.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-10-2015),KitiK  (17-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    They didn't teach me how to clean it. They just said return Monday. I had to go back today as he wouldn't take his meds so they washed it.

I have to try and get him to take his food he only eats kibble and bones I tried wet food last night but Refused. I've given him another feed of food and now I will try ram tablets down his mouth he's a rescue and we have tried swapping his food and he just refuses!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (17-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Would he take his medicine if you wrap it in a cheese slice, slice of ham etc or smeared peanut paste or vegemite etc on it Luv???