+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to feel less fugly while pregnant

I want to start by saying that I am grateful for being pregnant. I don't mean to come across as ungrateful.

However, if I said I feel amazing and happy glowing in my pregnant body it would be a flat out lie. As with my first pregnancy, somewhere around the half way mark I start feeling like a fugly whale. I don't recognise my body anymore and don't feel attractive at all. I am trying to embrace the additional cup size and round belly but really struggle. I just feel gross.

For those that feel (or have felt) similar, what things did you do to make yourself feel better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried dressing up occasionally - no good reason, was just tired of feeling and looking like crap. I think it would have helped, except I was just so sick, and then in pain from severe heartburn, and then terrible nose bleeds on top of that, it just didn't work much.

I did find that I actually felt good at my baby shower. I had borrowed a lovely dress, I'd had my hair cut and coloured the day before and a friend did my hair and makeup for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to feel less fugly while pregnant

Head to a proper maternity wear shop and get a couple of really nice maternity outfits (warning that they can be expensive).
    Get some new jewellery.
    Get your hair done.
    Get your nails done.

I understand how you feel. I felt the same while pregnant.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 15-10-2015 at 21:23.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my second pregnancy and I definitely feel bigger and less attractive than the first time around. And even though my hubby assures me that I am beautiful, I still don't feel it.

So my DH offered to watch DD while I had the morning to myself. I went to the hairdresser and got some foils and a haircut (scalp massage was a plus) I then went to a nail place in the shopping center and got a pedicure. They turned on the massage chair and massaged my legs and painted my nails. Definitely a big help for my sore and swollen feet. And since I was by myself, I could actually spend the time to actually look and try on some clothes without wrangling a toddler. So I ended up getting some flattering dresses that I looked nice in.

Definitely helped.

If there is a Stefans near you, they do Makeover packages where they will colour and cut your hair plus wax and tint your eye brows and I think it's only about $70.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt exactly the same as you and tbh as I got bigger I felt worse and worse. I never got those prof maternity shots as I felt humongous and tired and I can't stand maternity clothes (why are they so ugly?).

I treated myself to haircuts, pregnancy massages and a couple of mani/pedis while pregnant as they were the only things that made me feel better about being huge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know the answer because I feel exactly the same! I hate getting dressed in the morning because everything looks horrible. I'm getting my hair done on Tuesday so maybe that will help but I think the only thing that will make a real difference is getting this baby out! 6 weeks and I'm counting down

Thanks
    Reviews
    I swelled up enormously from 29 weeks due to preeclampsia so I felt disgusting. The only way I felt better was when I took the time to blow dry and straighten my hair (normally I just put it up wet), curl my eyelashes and wear something as nice as I could muster. If you could treat yourself to a nice top or nice maternity pants and get your hair done that might perk you up? Or buy something nice for after bub is born?
    My DH gave me beautiful button up pjs for Mother's Day when I was about 30 weeks pregnant. They were for easy breastfeeding access after bub was born, they were so lovely and stretchy I could wear them even though I was huge and they made me feel nice. So maybe some nice pjs that you can use now and after bub arrives?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same when I was pregnant. Loved having a baby growing in my belly & appreciated being pregnant but felt terrible as my whole body (face, legs, feet) swelled up horribly while pregnant.

Things that made me feel better:

Couple sets of nice/pretty maternity under ware/lingerie

Getting a manicure/pedicure. Even though my feet were massive getting my toes done made me feel nice

Getting hair done.

Getting few nice maternity clothes (I didn't get too many as they are expensive & wouldn't be wearing them long)

I never got a pregnancy massage but wish I did

Really anything that you enjoy that makes you feel good I look back at photos of me pregnant & barely recognise myself. It was so nice doing these few things that were for myself that I enjoyed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    awww @sunnygirl79, sorry to hear you're feeling yucky.

I have no tips I'm afraid but staying on top of personal maintenance has helped me so far. nicely painted nails, shaved legs, clean hair, nice clothes, etc etc.

would a facial or something help out?

hugs & hope you feel better soon xx