Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I work bloody hard and have studied bloody hard and still access welfare. Many people work bloody hard and study bloody hard and still lose their job or can't get a job in the first place beyond that low paying job that everyone tells them to get so they're not a welfare bludger. How insulting.

When people talk about 'my tax dollars' I often wonder if that means they are more than happy for other people's tax dollars to pay their share of the welfare contribution instead? Because if not, it's not an opinion about 'my tax dollars', it's an opinion about welfare in general. That's how it reads to me and it irks me.

ETA and I agree that God has very little to do with it. Hard work has something to do with it, as can privilege, advantage, nepotism, opportunity and good old luck.
    Harvs honey, no insult was meant. Honestly. You know I rate you.

Just that those who "work bloody hard" and earn a decent income are not the enemy. But for the good of us all, welfare must be transparent and accountable.

(Not sure that I even fit into the "decent income" category anyway. With the average house price in our area at 1.3 million, we can't afford to buy our own home.)

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Harvs honey, no insult was meant. Honestly. You know I rate you.

Just that those who "work bloody hard" and earn a decent income are not the enemy. But for the good of us all, welfare must be transparent and accountable.

(Not sure that I even fit into the "decent income" category anyway. With the average house price in our area at 1.3 million, we can't afford to buy our own home.)

this is precisely why statements about my tax dollars are problematic. Look no one likes welfare cheats. Or cheats of any kind. I know I've prosecuted enough of them.

But you just can't make sweeping generalisations about welfare. The recipients are many people on BH. Many people I respect and like. They have faces and names.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-10-2015),JustJaq  (16-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    this is precisely why statements about my tax dollars are problematic. Look no one likes welfare cheats. Or cheats of any kind. I know I've prosecuted enough of them.

But you just can't make sweeping generalisations about welfare. The recipients are many people on BH. Many people I respect and like. They have faces and names.
    Of course they do, but surely you don't disagree that welfare must be tightly-regulated and, as I have banged-on about, a transparent process?

This may sound trite (and I include a disclaimer that I have had a glass of $10-wine with my M*A*S*H), but I believe strongly in the "trickle-down effect". If our government, with "our tax dollars", can invest in industry and enterprise, a great many "below" can benefit financially.

Bloody hell...too intense a debate for tonight. I shall return to the Korean War in 1952 for some "light" relief

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

StillHopeful  (16-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Attached Images

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (17-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What are we all stressing about. The OP will have to pay it back. What annoys me is the ones that centrelink doesn't catch . You know the single mums that claim the single parent pension but live full time with their boyfriends with well paying jobs. Grrr

Now they are people that annoy me and I resent having to support them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

StillHopeful  (16-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    We earn a good living because a lot of people do low paying jobs that allow us to. .
    I get what you're saying - sort of. I appreciate the contributions of everyone and I do not look down on lower income earners.

However there's no way in heck I am letting anyone but myself take credit for my ok-ish income. I led me to where I am today through hard work (starting with not bludging in highschool but perhaps that's another thread for another day).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

J37  (16-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Considering the OP hasn't come back, the troll accusations and the arguments -BOOM -closing this one down.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (16-10-2015),Mod-Zeddie  (16-10-2015),Mokeybear  (16-10-2015)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456