+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default How much baby stuff to keep for #2?

Thanks to generous friends and everyone i know bringing me their hand-me-downs, I've now got way, way, way more baby stuff than I ever needed and now need to cull the collection down to store away in hope for Baby #2. Seriously, its hit epidemic proportions. If I suddenly stop posting on bubhub you can assume that the pile of stuff has tipped over and buried me.

What's a good number of things to keep (presuming its all fairly gender neutral)? Part of the issue is that there are a few other siblings and in-laws likely to want hand me downs in the next year or two so while I might not like something (like bibs) they would potentially use it... Part of my problem too was that DS1 has just grown so fast that we seemed to almost skip some of the sizes.

I want to bundle up and pack away a sensibly sized baby kit and sell/giveaway the rest but just not sure how to start. Help!
    1. Bunny rugs - how many would you keep? i think I've got about 10.
    2. Muslins (swaddling size)
    3. Small muslins (not big enough for swaddling, I use these to drape over bub in the baby bjorn - but what on earth are they supposed to be used for?)
    4. Bibs? I pretty much don't use them, and I think I have about 30. Will just one in each size do it?
    5. Clothing by size? (for example, how many of each of the 0000, 000, 00, 0 would you keep)?
    6. Clothing by style? - would you keep only particular types of clothing per size?
    7. Blankets
    8. Quilts
    9. Bed sheets per cot size
    10. Novelty/warm suits (e.g. monster suit, bear suit, themed suit).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been given loads and loads of hand me downs as well as all the new stuff. I just made the decision to pass on the hand me downs I had (if they were still in ok condition) and only keep things that I had started with brand new and were still in good/excellent condition for baby 2.

Would this method help cull your load?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use this system.

Keep all 0000 and 000 in gender neutral or white.
    Keep only good quality or sentimental gender specific in those sized clothing.

Then from 00 onwards I only keep what fits in one large or xL vacuum seal bag. The rest goes to charity.

With blankets and other stuff, we only ever had the 4x sets so I've kept them all.

Just remember fewer ppl get excited about subsequent kids. Our first we were inundated with presents and clothes and well wishes. Second baby we got cards and a few presents. Had our third child last week and we so far have only received presents from immediate family and they weren't great either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    when you're in a size range, how much do you think you use the same stuff? Would say 7 of each thing be enough? eg. 7 onesies, 7 singlets, 7 pants etc? Is 7 too many? not enough?

I just don't have the mental power...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would err on the side of keeping everything that is good quality. For example, DS1 was born in the thick of winter and DS2 in spring. They are both boys but they were completely different sizes during summer for example. None of Ds1's size 0000-1 fit at the right times for DS2.

Also it looks like your bub is young. Once they start eating they go through at least 3-5 bibs per day. We probably have at least 20 bibs and it's just enough. They get scungy very quickly.

Obviously if you have too much stuff then try to get rid of it but in my experience it is not until you are pregnant and know the gender and the season before you can really do a good culling.

ETA, we have an entire wardrobe filled with baby stuff and I dont even know yet if we will have #3. What I find a lot easier is to reduce the stuff in the actual drawers you use to season appropriate/fits properly/and just enough. Even though the wardrobe and garage are bulging with packed away baby clothes I don't see them, I only see the manageable amount we are currently cycling through. That's just me! Good luck
    Last edited by Lilahh; 15-10-2015 at 18:16.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

MonkeyMumma  (15-10-2015),ScubaGal  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    when you're in a size range, how much do you think you use the same stuff? Would say 7 of each thing be enough? eg. 7 onesies, 7 singlets, 7 pants etc? Is 7 too many? not enough?

I just don't have the mental power...
    I just stuff a bag. Whatever fits. Onesies and singelets first preference to keep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get rid of anything you don't love - I found I never dressed bubs in some things because I just didn't like the items that much.

And unless you have tonnes of storage space it's really a very charitable thing to hold onto the baby clothes for others but essentially you are just being a storage locker for things they may not want / need. Is there any way you could pass on some of the items now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I basically kept all of the clothes that were in really good condition but anything looking worn or with any stains I bagged up for charity or the bin. I also didn't hold onto hardly anything that was already a hand me down. My son also flew through sizes quickly so some of the clothes were only worn once or twice at best. I ended up with 4 vacuum bags on clothes between 0000 - 0's, all of which I'm pretty happy I've kept with son #2 on the way and I've just started unpacking it all.

I haven't thrown away any blankets, bibs or wraps and am also glad I have a big stash now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kepy everything that was in perfect condition and I liked.
    Then, once we found out that our second was the same sex, I sorted all of the clothes in to sizes and stored them in tubs under the cot. As bub moved up to the next size, I pulled out those clothes and looked at what I needed to buy.
    It was a pain storing them before our second came along, but it seemed wasteful to get rid of it all, only to be replacing it in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I donate almost everything as bub grows out of it. We have a charity in Sydney that specifically collects baby things to rehome with families in need. I figured that I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford new stuff if we ever have a second (plus incredibly generous friends and family), but not everyone is so lucky.

I only keep very expensive things or those with sentimental value.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Belle201 For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (16-10-2015)