+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default MTX Injection Concerns - HELP! :(

Hi everyone,

I am currently pregnant again after two previous miscarriages and unfortunately am going through yet another loss. However this time my fs suspects it could be an ectopic pregnancy due to my hcg levels which initially dropped but have been creeping back up again. I have had an ultrasound but nothing was seen.
    He is suggesting the mtx injection to resolve it in case it is ectopic or the other option is surgery but given that he doesn't know it's location he would prefer to do the injection to maintain fertility in the future.
    My issue is I am PETRIFIED at the thought of the injection due to the fact that the nurse has to be suited up in a gown, gloves and goggles to give it and I can't have my bodily fluids (eg. Saliva, urine) come into contact with others for 7 days, which makes me think what the hell is in it?!
    Have any of you guys had the injection and if so what was your experience?? Totally feeling stressed out over here .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @Stardust28 I’m really sorry you are going through this. I had an ectopic pregnancy earlier in the year which I had surgery for in the first instance (the pregnancy was in my ovary). My hcg dropped steadily for a month after the surgery and then it started climbing again so I had the methotrexate injection. It is used as chemotherapy for some kinds of cancers (as well as some other conditions) and is considered ‘cytotoxic’, hence the gown, mask etc. We just agreed that I would use the ensuite at home for the week and DH would use the other bathroom and that was that in terms of the bodily fluids thing – no dramas. The dose you are given for an ectopic pregnancy is not very high compared to what you would be given for cancer, and you are usually only given one dose (or very occasionally 2) as opposed to ongoing treatment. My understanding is that it is regarded as a safe treatment for ectopic pregnancy and is widely used for that purpose.

The injection itself was an anticlimax – it was done and dusted in under 2 mins! But I did feel pretty average for a few days afterwards, just really tired and ‘off’. I recovered quickly though. The most frustrating thing for me is that you are not allowed to conceive for a period of time after having the drug (depends on the dose but for me was 3 months for a single injection). We are doing IVF, so having to wait around doing nothing when we wanted to go again was annoying. I would encourage you to speak to your doctor about your worries and ask as many questions as you need to about the drug. In my case I don’t really think there was any other option so we were happy to go ahead, and I don’t believe it has caused me any lasting ill effects 6 months down the track.

Again, I’m really sorry this is happening to you. The stress and uncertainty of a ‘pregnancy of unknown location’ has got to be the worst thing I have been through so I am thinking of you and sending big hugs. I hope whatever happens, it all goes smoothly and resolves as quickly as it can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your kind words MrsChino, it means a lot.

I did have a sit down with my fs today and he reassured me the only most likely side effect I'll get is an upset stomach. I guess I'm more scared because of all the precautions that have to be taken when using this treatment, it just makes me wonder! I have a hard time even taking antibiotics so this is huge to me lol.

Personally I'd prefer the surgery due to the fact I have to have surgery in December anyway due to a left hydrosalpinx ( the likely culprit of my miscarriages) and my fs said he would like to get that over with along with removing this suspected ectopic pregnancy. But given that he doesn't know it's location he doesn't feel confident to preform the surgery in case the embryo remains and wrecks havoc only for me to have to have the injection anyway!

It's such a confusing time! I just want this to all be over with so I can move on.

In saying all of that I'm really sorry to hear what you've been through also. It's such a hard thing to go through. 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    So it been confirmed after another ultrasound that I have an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube.

I opted to have the methotrexate injection on Saturday. It really wasn't that bad at all! Like you @MrsChino I felt very average for the first 48 hours and still am on and off.

Just wondering how long it took for others for the injection to work?? I have my bloods drawn on Wednesday which they said they expect to see an increase in my hcg levels and then a drop by day 7. I haven't really had any cramps and I've been bleeding since a week prior to knowing it was ectopic. Did you guys experience cramping?? The nurse said not everyone does and given that my levels were only 320 she said the embryo is only tiny so I might not have cramps. I'm just scared the injection won't work and expected to feel something by now! I've felt some mild discomfort but that's about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Stardust28 I'm sorry it has been confirmed, although I know there's some relief in knowing what's going on also. Im glad you're not feeling too bad after the mtx. I'm afraid I might not be much help with regards to what happens next, as when I had it I'd already had surgery, so the embryo was gone. It was just a tiny bit of placental tissue remaining that was releasing hcg and had to be stopped. I do know that my hcg fell slowly but steadily for another 4 weeks after the injection back to zero. But it started at about 7500 so had further to go. I hope yours goes down a bit quicker! Hopefully someone else will be along who can share their experience after mtx too, and again I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it an option to have both your tubes removed? Especially considering the hydrosalpinx?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It has been a very stressful time but I agree @misschino it is much better knowing what's going on rather then being left in the dark.

I did have a second ultrasound done on the morning they have me the injection and they did say the embryo was starting to take on a different shape and one measurement had decreased so they think my body might have already started to try and break it down. Hopefully the injection will be enough to help it along.

@misschino that must have been such a traumatic time for you! Having to undergo surgery followed by the injection, my heart really goes out to you.

@PinkPopsicle my FS is planning on either removing or trying to unblock my left tube with the hydrosalpinx in December but wants to try and preserve my right tube as best as possible so we can still naturally conceive in the future. We have had no issues conceiving regardless of the fact that one tube is blocked but I just haven't been able to hold on to them quite possibly due to the hydrosalpinx leaking into my uterus. However should the injection not work my FS has said that surgery is the next option to take care of the ectopic but wants wants to try and avoid it.