+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 20month old routine

Interest to know what others' 20month old routines are (or similar age) for bedtime.....having a tough time at the moment with DS with sleep....Not sleeping thru. Waking several times a night n taking its toll on us. He is teething and I know there is a developmental change around 18months of age so hoping it's jus a phase....
    Also bedtime routine is pretty simple for us so not sure if I should be changing it or tweaking it

5.30pm dinner
    6.00pm bath then little playtime
    6.30 /7pm bottle
    In bed after his bottle usually talks to himself in cot for ages!!!! And usually falls asleep with me sitting next to his cot around 7.30/8pm

Tia

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    ~6pm dinner
    6:30-7:30pm bath (we don't have a set time, just after dinner finishes).
    7:30-8pm bed with me feeding him
    At some point he falls asleep and I escape. Could be 30mins to 1.5 hours. He sometimes wakes sometime between 10-12am and I resettle with more b.oob. He wakes between 6-7am for his morning feed and will usually go back to sleep until 7:30-8am. Daylights savings has thrown him out a bit though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At that age (21-22 mths) both Dd1 and dd2 were up 5.30am. Nap 12-3pm. Dinner 5pm, bath 6pm, cuddled or patted to sleep 7pm. Usually that would take 10-15 min but occasionally 30min. No wake ups overnight unless sick or teething.

Eta - Dd1 hit the 18mth sleep regression quite hard in that it took her aaaaggggeeeessss to sleep. I used to have to walk her in the pram to get her to nod off. But she outgrew that by 21/22 mths and was fine by then.

Dd2 wasn't affected by that.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 14-10-2015 at 19:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks- my Lil one always suffers the regressions quite badly. The last one at around 8months last a couple of months and this one (18month) started around 19months of age so it's still happening. It's exhausting as I am also 24 weeks pregnant. Hoping it doesn't last for much longer

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dinner at 6.
    Playtime (active) until bath with dad at 7.30.
    Does her teeth in the bath and then comes into living room to get dressed.
    Hair put up, moisturise, nappy and pyjamas on in living room.
    She chooses a story for bedtime then comes to give me a cuddle on the couch.
    Dad takes her to bed at 8.
    (When she gets taken to her room corridor light is on but bedroom light stays off)
    Gets into her sleeping bag lying on her bedroom floor
    Sits on her little sofa on dads lap with her comforter toys.
    Has a drink of water.
    Sleeping time rhyme (butterfly kisses, ladybug hugs, sleep tight little one, like a bug in a rug).
    Put in cot on her tummy.

She has started asking for a second drink of water at this point which she then has and lies back down.
    We tell her night night and love you then put on her quiet white noise and shut the door.
    Corridor light is turned off - her room has blackout blinds as well so it's very dark.

She generally takes between 5-30mins to fall asleep. If she starts whinging I just tell her I love her and it's sleeping time over the monitor. She sleeps through until 8/9am. If she wakes up earlier then she sits in her cot quietly until 8am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Dinner 5.30

Bath 6pm

Get dressed while having bottle followed by stories 6.20ish

Bed (after a couple minutes cuddle in the dark) 6.30/6.45.

We moved bedtime forward as he was waking at 5am when it was 7/7.30 and we saw instant improvement.

The molars and canines really bothered him when they were trying to cut through and nuerofen and elevating his cot helped heaps. I also lie with him for a cuddle after turning out the lights for a couple minutes before putting him in his cot. I started doing that when he went through a phase where he would crack it every time it was time to go to bed and the 'warning cuddle' helped heaps with getting him prepared that he was going in his cot to sleep.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-10-2015 at 21:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

What is the rest of bubs day like? Waking? Day nap? Eating solids?

My first thought is to have at least 20 (pref 30) mins break between milk and bed. Have play after milk. That way bubs not using milk as an aid to get to sleep (and waking through the night when stirring and discovering the milk is no longer there). You sitting with bub until falling asleep could also be a sleep aid that is affecting bubs ability to self settle through the night. Does bub have a comforter?

My DS's day:

7am wake
    7:15 milk in sippy cup
    7:30 brekky (yes we should give solids first by now but don't)
    10 - morno's
    12 - lunch
    2-4 nap (maybe only an hour on daycare days)
    4- water an biscuit/fruit
    5 - dinner (6 on daycare nights)
    6 - bath
    6:30 - milk
    6:35 - play.
    6:50 - books
    7-7/30: - bed
    Last edited by VicPark; 15-10-2015 at 05:35.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Cant wait to be a mummy  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have used lots of routine and sleep association ideas which work well for us. So our girls would have tea at 5. Bath 5:30 -6. Play time with daddy after work. 6:30 milk drink, two stories. 7pm bed.
    We have a sleep comforter toy that is only in bed, not allowed out, that they looove. We never gave dummies (not that i disagree with them, just didn't find a need). We slept them in sleeping bags until recently (nearly 2.5 years now).
    We used to do story before each nap time too but don't any more.
    I know set routines aren't everyone's cup of tea or possible for everyone. But for us it has been a lifesaver. Sometimes monotonous but always great sleepers so we think it's helped.
    Sleep promotes sleep. Sometimes working on daytime naps is the key to nighttime sleep. I've worked on this with many of my friends who have kids not sleeping well and it has worked very often!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd is 19 months. Rough daily routine..

5am-5.30 - wakes for day
    11am - nap for about 1hr - 90 mins
    5pm - dinner
    6pm - bath/shower/teeth
    6.30/7pm - books and bed

she mostly sleeps through these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's routine at 20 months was:
    8am wake up
    1pm - 3.30/4pm nap
    6pm dinner
    7.30pm bath
    Stories while she has her milk (in sippy cup)
    8pm bed
    We have just changed her nap to 1.30 recently.
    I agree with PP who said routines and sleep associations are important, DD is still in a sleeping bag and has her dummy and bunny for bed. We do same thing, same time, every night. Mind numbingly boring for me and DH but it seems to be what works for DD!