+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dams should be fenced in my opinion. A friends little boy nearly drowned in a dam a couple of months ago. Devastating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anyone got an above ground pool?

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    The gates need to be self closing and as yours is open in the photo I'm assuming it's not. It's really up to you but I wouldn't bother with the inflatable pool. Safety aside there are huge fines (in qld at least) for not have your pool fence certified.
    no it is self closing, I've got it strapped open for the dogs, but would obviously leave it closed if there was a pool in there. It's a proper pool fence gate.
    I didn't know about the outwards from the pool rule though that's very interesting! That would mean I couldn't use either option as the gate at the top of the stairs opens inwards.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Dams should be fenced in my opinion. A friends little boy nearly drowned in a dam a couple of months ago. Devastating.
    I agree with you on that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no it is self closing, I've got it strapped open for the dogs, but would obviously leave it closed if there was a pool in there. It's a proper pool fence gate.
    I didn't know about the outwards from the pool rule though that's very interesting! That would mean I couldn't use either option as the gate at the top of the stairs opens inwards.
    That might just be a qld thing - it's really strict here. You could get a pool fence certifier over to give you their opinion, it would probably cost $100 or so though. Your council should have their regulations on their website too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    It is double standards. Both have the same drowning risk, let only one needs to be legally fenced.
    It's the same for properties which back onto the beach or river. I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So this is my backyard, it's fenced all the way around, and the entry into it is actually a pool fence with a child proof gate. If the pool was back there do you think it would be safe and would you bother with the whole building approval/safety cert/registering the pool thing for that little Clarke rubber pool?
    Attachment 74521
    Alternatively, this is my patio. Again it's fences all the way around, only access to the public is up stairs and through a child proof gate, BUT if I put the pool on the patio, we'd have to raise the door handle on our door so our kids couldn't let themselves out there.
    Both possible ideas. I'm beginning to think it's not really worth all the effort
    I still wouldn't risk it. The penalties for not having a pool fence certified are massive. Something like $25 000. All it takes is for a neighbour to report you, and I've also heard reports of some councils using google earth to look for unregistered pools, as well as door knocking (like they do for pet registration).

And if there happens to be an incident (which can happen to anyone really) then they will investigate and if you have a pool that's not registered and certified for fencing then you would be in huge trouble.

Its just too risky (but then I am a very risk averse person). Qld are really cracking down. And I do understand why - there are so many backyard drownings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before we had our underground pool installed we looked at many above ground pools. Some above ground pools depending on the covers they have and the fact of not being able to climb up the pool don't need to be fenced, one we considered only required a fence around the step area. That was a few years ago so the legislation may be different now. Best to check with your local council in your state. In regards to fencing there is much to consider, it isn't just a matter of whacking up anything to make a fence. There are guidelines as to how much gap gap there can be underneath the fencing, the latch of the gate etc. A friend of ours had a picket fence around their pool area, the pickets were set too far apart and they had to move them closer together just as an example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think only properties of a certain size should be able to have a dam and then it should be law to have your house and yard fenced. Some dams are huge therefore I think fencing the premises of the house would make more sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    A toddler could drown in a wading pool, which is why they all say to use only under adult supervision. So I understand why pool fencing regulations were changed to include temporary pools like the clark rubber ones. They are large, and for a small child/toddler they would be difficult to get back out of if they weren't familiar with the pool or a good swimmer.
    This is part of the reason we opted not to get an above ground pool put in. With a below ground pool kids would at least have a chance to get to the steps or sides in that scenario.
    There is honestly lots to consider re having a pool. After our pool was put in the pool fencing was so important and cost half of what the pool itself did.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I've decided not to bother. If we are going to get a pool we'll have to go to the effort of getting a proper one installed with proper fencing etc. it's not worth all this pain for a tiny Clark rubber pool in the backyard. We'll just stick to the little shell pool.