+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    That's what I wonder - are people worried about their own kids getting into the water or kids off the street randomly entering the yard and getting into the water?
    Both.

My grandparents have a pool and more than once have had a school age child wander into the garden (you could see the pool through the side gate) wanting to swim.

(They've since replaced the gate)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The canal backed onto private property..... Deep water access property.

Not trying to be argumentative but what's the point of having the pool fenced, when I can walk another 20m through the backyard into the canal......
    Personally I would've paid to put up some kind of barrier up around it if I had small kids living there. Even if it reduced the useable size of my garden. I would do the same if we had a creek at the back of our property.

Drowning scares the sh1t out of me, and it's definitely one thing I prefer to be over cautious about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very cheeky. Their parents should be watching/supervising them.

I would have been in so much trouble it wouldn't be funny if I went into someone else's yard without their permission.
    Me too.

This was on their walk home from school. They would've been 10-12. However if they had drowned in my grandparents pool it would've been my grandparents who were responsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look, I do agree it's ridiculous. But I also think those Clark rubber pools are obviously big enough to be of concern, and should be fenced.

Just my opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The canal backed onto private property..... Deep water access property.

Not trying to be argumentative but what's the point of having the pool fenced, when I can walk another 20m through the backyard into the canal......
    Because most drownings happen in back yard pools , they are not making these regulations because they want too they are out of necessity plus if any child drowns or gets injured in your pool you will be sued - litigation is rife for public liability on residential properties - as agents we have to do an occupational health and saftey review on all our rental properties as if they are not safe ( pool fencing, balcony heights etc ) we won't take them on as our insurances have gone through the roof and tenants are suing and winning if accidents occur on properties that don't meet council regulations

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A toddler could drown in a wading pool, which is why they all say to use only under adult supervision. So I understand why pool fencing regulations were changed to include temporary pools like the clark rubber ones. They are large, and for a small child/toddler they would be difficult to get back out of if they weren't familiar with the pool or a good swimmer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The fact the one body of water (pool) needs to be fenced but an equally dangerous body of water (canal) doesn't have to be fenced in the same backyard makes me think that a lot of this fence registration/inspection regulation business is mainly to do with revenue raising for the local council then necessarily for the good of everyone...... call me cynical.... But if councils are using google earth to see who they can nab and fine......
    I think you're looking for conspiracy theories that aren't there. Bodies of water like canals were often there before houses and people have a choice about buying near them. For me there are certain things I could never buy a house near and an unfenced body of water is one. But I can't control where canals are. I can control having a pool however temporary in my back yard.

So councils require that they be fenced. They would probably love to fence all bodies of water but there is a limit.

Just because one is impractical and may have knock on consequences for the larger community doesn't mean we shouldn't legislate for the safety of the ones that can be controlled.

I'm just not following your logic. Kids drown even when adults are supervising. It's devastating and I have no idea why anyone would even question this.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-10-2015),Elijahs Mum  (15-10-2015),Mokeybear  (15-10-2015),Moxy  (15-10-2015),SheWarrior  (15-10-2015),Sunnybambino  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So this is my backyard, it's fenced all the way around, and the entry into it is actually a pool fence with a child proof gate. If the pool was back there do you think it would be safe and would you bother with the whole building approval/safety cert/registering the pool thing for that little Clarke rubber pool?
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1444863594.799888.jpg
    Alternatively, this is my patio. Again it's fences all the way around, only access to the public is up stairs and through a child proof gate, BUT if I put the pool on the patio, we'd have to raise the door handle on our door so our kids couldn't let themselves out there.
    Both possible ideas. I'm beginning to think it's not really worth all the effort
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1444863722.834911.jpg

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think you're looking for conspiracy theories that aren't there. Bodies of water like canals were often there before houses and people have a choice about buying near them. For me there are certain things I could never buy a house near and an unfenced body of water is one. But I can't control where canals are. I can control having a pool however temporary in my back yard.

So councils require that they be fenced. They would probably love to fence all bodies of water but there is a limit.

Just because one is impractical and may have knock on consequences for the larger community doesn't mean we shouldn't legislate for the safety of the ones that can be controlled.

I'm just not following your logic. Kids drown even when adults are supervising. It's devastating and I have no idea why anyone would even question this.
    Agree with this!!

Not worth the risk regardless of the pool size in my opinion so I would fence it or not get one and use the local council pool, I can however see how it does seem a bit like double standards when the pool or canal can pose a drowning risk but one has to be fenced and the other not...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anyone got an above ground pool?

Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    So this is my backyard, it's fenced all the way around, and the entry into it is actually a pool fence with a child proof gate. If the pool was back there do you think it would be safe and would you bother with the whole building approval/safety cert/registering the pool thing for that little Clarke rubber pool?
    Attachment 74521
    Alternatively, this is my patio. Again it's fences all the way around, only access to the public is up stairs and through a child proof gate, BUT if I put the pool on the patio, we'd have to raise the door handle on our door so our kids couldn't let themselves out there.
    Both possible ideas. I'm beginning to think it's not really worth all the effort
    Attachment 74522
    The gates need to be self closing and as yours is open in the photo I'm assuming it's not. The gates have to open outwards from the pool too so you could only have it in the patio. It's really up to you but I wouldn't bother with the inflatable pool. Safety aside there are huge fines (in qld at least) for not have your pool fence certified.