+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think in Qld the new laws that have come in mean that all pools need to be fenced, even above ground ones that previously did not need fencing due to their high walls (like the container pools). They're super strict now with the deadline for compliance being the end of this year.

We had one of the portable pools from Clark Rubber and it was up for 5 weeks over summer. It was great fun, and we had no trouble keeping it clean and balanced. But then we discovered that it had to be fenced, and that even if you put temporary fencing up you had to get it inspected and registered under the new laws. And the cost of fencing and getting it inspected etc would have been more than the pool cost so we took it down.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wowzer shipping container pools. Never heard of them but now ive seen it im sooooo keen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My brother just installed a large above ground pool in Qld and he did not need it fenced. I don't believe he got building approval, but he does have it registered and got it inspected. He did build a deck around half of the pool, which required fencing, but the other half was considered to high. This was only in the last few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    But how would the council know, especially if you're only keeping it up for 5 weeks of the year.......
    Usually the same way council finds out every time. Someone reports it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (15-10-2015)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    And it's not exactly a little breach of law. If a child drowned in your unfenced pool you would most definitely be charged with something like negligent homicide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Usually the same way council finds out every time. Someone reports it.
    We had heaps of clients ( especially the older ones) who had the council knock on their doors telling them they had to a certain time to register their pools as they were not on their register - apparently they use Google earth and check every house in the area !

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Look I'm not saying to break the law, I just think sometimes things are taken that little bit too far....... Like needing a inspected/registered fence for a $100 blow up pool that's only up for 5 weeks of the year.

Always found it amusing how the pool had to be fenced but the canal 20m from the back door wasn't an issue..... Or have laws changed for that one as well?
    I think risks versus benefits to me. The risk, however slight, of someone drowning because I didn't adequately fence in a pool is not worth the benefit of the pool. I would never forgive myself if someone drowned in our pool. Our gate is locked at all times but I still worry.

I even empty and deflate DSs small blow up pool every time we use it because children can drown in 5cm of water, and it's just not worth the risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Blow up Wading pools with no filter that hold less than 2000 litres don't need to be fenced in NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look I'm not saying to break the law, I just think sometimes things are taken that little bit too far....... Like needing a inspected/registered fence for a $100 blow up pool that's only up for 5 weeks of the year.

Always found it amusing how the pool had to be fenced but the canal 20m from the back door wasn't an issue..... Or have laws changed for that one as well?
    It's only private property and public pools that have the fencing laws, obviously all canals and rivers and beaches can't be fenced

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didn't fence or anything the pool like that Clarke rubber one when we had it. It never occurred to us! But, we had 6' colour bond fencing, with padlocked gates and a Great Dane roaming the yard to keep anyone out lol! Plus we always dead bolted the door that went from the living area to the yard. No one was getting in near that pool without us letting them. I wonder if that would be considered adequate fencing? We ended up not bothering with it after a while though, it was a bit of a pain in the rear!! We are considering grabbing a stock trough this year, we can chuck some water in from the bore and then empty and roll it behind the shed when the kids are done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (15-10-2015)