+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 months and not much sleep!! Please help!

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests I'm really at a loss as to how to improve my almost 7 month old DS's sleeping, particularly at night. I'm constantly trying to figure out where things need to change but I'm hoping if I give you guys the full picture you might see something I can't .

He is breastfed, and I have been demand feeding from birth. Also since he was tiny I've fed him to sleep of a night time and just given him the boob whenever he woke at night. He has been having solids (BLW) since just before 6 months and now has 2-3 meals a day.

During the day we follow a feed play sleep routine (so not feeding to sleep during the day). He's mostly been a catnapper but lately has been having one longer sleep during the day (usually the first sleep) maybe for 1.5 hours. Even given this long sleep he only stays awake for about 1.5 hours before it seems that he needs another nap. Which means he is still having like 4-5 naps a day.

Once he gets a bit grizzly I pop him into his sleeping bag, give him his dummy and blanky and put him in his cot. He usually settles himself to sleep within 5-10 minutes.

We have dinner at about 5pm followed by some playtime then a bath at around 5.50pm. Once he's dressed i sit on our bed and feed him, some night he falls asleep on the boob, some nights he doesn't and self settles in his cot with his dummy, but he's usually sleep by 6.15pm.

He will then sleep until about 8.30-9pm which is basically his longest stretch at night. Most nights we can re-settle him at his first waking without feeding but then he will wake around 10pm which I'll usually feed him just so we can get some sleep. It then seems he wakes every 1.5 hours. Sometimes I try to resettle, sometimes I just feed to get him back to sleep. Sometimes I even pop him in our bed so I can snooze while he's feeding.

He then wakes for the day at about 5.30-6am. The early rising wouldn't bother me if he just slept a bit longer during the night. I also understand he still needs a feed overnight, maybe even two, but all the waking is making me exhausted!

I can also tell he is teething, but his sleeping like this has been going on for the last couple of months.

His cot is in our room and given we only have 2 bedrooms ( his big brother is in the other) we don't have the option of putting him in his own room.

Does anyone have any advice? I think I may need to try not to use the boob to settle but how do I do this but also maintain one or two feeds overnight?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like to me that he's sleeping too many times thru the day. i wouldn't give him any more than 2-3.. and still cut it down to 2 later on. try to put him to bed later as well. Instead of giving boob how about trying to express and give it in a bottle? 5pm dinner - i dunno bout anyone else but id be hungry again by 8.30-9, id probably do a light snack at 5 and dinner at 7 bed by 8 .
    Last edited by GlitterFarts; 14-10-2015 at 12:51.

Thanks
    Reviews

How many hrs in total does he do at night between 6 and 7am?
    I agree with cutting down the day sleeps to maybe 2 one hr sleeps??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my older girls but especially my eldest went thru the 8mth regression badly and woke every 40 min for a few months.

Then magically grew out of it.

I do agree that you may need to stretch the day sleeps out a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    How many hrs in total does he do at night between 6 and 7am?
    I agree with cutting down the day sleeps to maybe 2 one hr sleeps??
    I did a bit of a sleep log a couple of weeks ago and he had about 10.5 hours all up of sleep overnight and 2.5 hours sleep during the day (over 4 naps).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sallybea For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sallybea View Post
    I did a bit of a sleep log a couple of weeks ago and he had about 10.5 hours all up of sleep overnight and 2.5 hours sleep during the day (over 4 naps).
    Ok, maybe try and cut it down to 3 naps to see what happens. And awake after 3pm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, cut down on day naps and increase awake time between. Also, don't let him fall asleep on the boob when going to sleep. Especially at that first night feed, keep him awake so he has a full feed before bed. I'd keep the 10pm feed then aim to just do one feed through the night if he really needs it, but again make sure it's a full feed.
    It sounds like you need to help him learn how to self settle. Do you know any self settling techniques?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Koarlo View Post
    I agree, cut down on day naps and increase awake time between. Also, don't let him fall asleep on the boob when going to sleep. Especially at that first night feed, keep him awake so he has a full feed before bed. I'd keep the 10pm feed then aim to just do one feed through the night if he really needs it, but again make sure it's a full feed.
    It sounds like you need to help him learn how to self settle. Do you know any self settling techniques?
    I will definitely start pushing out his awake to make less naps.

We haven't had to really use any strategies to get him to self settle during the day but if he wakes at night he definitely can't settle himself back to sleep. I'd love to hear of some gentle self settling techniques

Thank you!