+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph12 View Post
    My DD is 2years 8months and still only uses single words. she doesn't mimic despite doing lots of reading and interactive games with her. We decided at 2.5 to start speech therapy. Although they aren't too concerned until age 3. She's had a few sessions and they have some good tips, if you've got private health insurance it might be worth an initial consult at least. I'd wait until after two though, it sounds very early still. Speech therapists will also let you know if there are any other concerns, my DD is purely speech delayed and doesn't particularly like to copy but is otherwise fine. They are also not concerned about pronounciation until after 3 so any attempts at words are good enough.
    DS does mimic things. Follows instructions (when he wants to lol) do u think the speech therapy is making a difference? I don't have private health insurance so I can imagine it's not going to be cheap if we need it 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    He not too young at all. I been there with my at 20 months. When only had four words. The younger the better once you can see there is a problem
    Hmm. Would I need a referral from my gp or would I see the child health nurse? Our gp is gone for a month and I don't like the replacement gp. So I'd have to wait to see her until start of February anyway. I'm really not sure if he's just lazy (if you know what I mean?) if he just finds it easier to not speak and gets away with it? Or if there really is a problem there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Hmm. Would I need a referral from my gp or would I see the child health nurse? Our gp is gone for a month and I don't like the replacement gp. So I'd have to wait to see her until start of February anyway. I'm really not sure if he's just lazy (if you know what I mean?) if he just finds it easier to not speak and gets away with it? Or if there really is a problem there
    If you have a child health unit near you. Ours is called child and youth mental unit. (It does all those things) it's off site to the hospital and they have a self referral system that you can download and do it yourself.
    Other universities often have speech clinic for a small fee. Both a worth a Google to see if you have One in your area. Private speech therapy is ridiculously expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    If you have a child health unit near you. Ours is called child and youth mental unit. (It does all those things) it's off site to the hospital and they have a self referral system that you can download and do it yourself.
    Other universities often have speech clinic for a small fee. Both a worth a Google to see if you have One in your area. Private speech therapy is ridiculously expensive.
    Thank you very much! I will start doing some googling to see what's around. Last time we saw anything more than the doctor (other than the hearing test) was a paediatrician for constipation, we had to get a referral from the doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much! I will start doing some googling to see what's around. Last time we saw anything more than the doctor (other than the hearing test) was a paediatrician for constipation, we had to get a referral from the doctor.
    What state are you in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm regional nsw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm regional nsw.
    Oh - i have some knowledge of available services in Vic, but not NSW, sorry. Hopefully you can find something appropriate yourself or your GP has some good suggestions/referrals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you anyway!
    I haven't really found anything so I'll speak with our gp or maybe ask the child health nurse about it and see what I can get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It can't hurt to get the ball rolling if you're concerned. It sounds like you are doing all the right things to encourage your DS and he does have a handful of words already which is really positive.
    My DS (who was very similar to yours at 20 months) is now very vocal and picking up new words and phrases constantly. He is 28 months now and can count to 20, loves trying to say the alphabet and is a massive parrot. His speech started taking off around 25 months and has really snowballed the last month or so.
    As a guide DS's speech appoint cost $150/hour, thankfully we shouldn't need to go back unless something changes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    My ds is 23 months now and I would say at 20 months he was the same. It's only been in the last couple of months that he's really started saying lots more and even now most words are fragments but he's trying to copy, for example fruit is "fru". I've never been worried and it sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing.
    This is my 23 month DS as well. He's always babbled a lot but it's only the past few weeks that his words are really coming along and he's turning into a little parrot, but obviously still not speaking perfectly and usually just says one word to tell me what he wants (snack, walk, milk, play, book, etc) but there's definitely been a noticeable change the last 3-4 weeks.

Your DS sounds very similar to mine and how he was at 20 months so I personally wouldn't worry right now.