+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    I'm not 100% certain his hearing is fine lol he's either really ignorant or something isn't right. But being so ignorant wouldn't surprise me. He could hear u open a packet of chips a mile away but ignores us lol do I see my doctor about a hearing test?

What led your DS to getting glue ear? Or is not really known? I don't think DS has it. I honestly never heard of it until about 3 months ago so sorry if my question sounds dumb lol
    My DS has extremely narrow ear canals, so he is prone to ear issues. He suprisingily hadn't had that many actual ear infections, but was always tugging at his ears which is what led me to taking him to a paed and finding the glue ear. The grommets have helped immensley. He also had his adenoids out at the same time as they were larger than normal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't actually remember if we needed a referral - I think we did though, so maybe ask your GP when you see them in a few weeks. Fluid levels can fluctuate sometimes, particularly if they are sick. When we initially had a hearing test done (showed moderate/severe hearing loss) we were advised to re-do it in 6 weeks as it was the middle of winter and she had been sick for a while. Unfortunately it didn't improve even after a period of wellness. The last time we went through it she showed mild hearing loss in one ear at that time, but hearing was okay in both ears 6 weeks later (though still had fluid, so we went ahead with a third set of grommets). So yes, it can definitely fluctuate. If there are hearing issues identified, it's best to be monitored by an ENT.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would get a hearing test- just because I think it's a good idea at 2 to get one.

Yes you need a referral- we did anyway

Other than that, I wouldn't be overly concerned, as he could just explode into language at any point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was the same at 20months. His GP told us not to worry until he turned 2. He only had about 10 words by his birthday so we went back and got a referral for a hearing test and speech pathologist.
    Almost as soon as I made the speechy appointment DS started gathering more and more words.
    DS had his appoint a couple of weeks ago and she just assessed him and gave us an exercise to do at home.
    There was a long wait to get in for a hearing test, which is happening next week. I actually think hearing may have been a factor. DS has only had one ear infection so I never really considered his ears could be a problem, but a few weeks ago he woke up with quite a lot of sticky yellow gunk. It was around then he started picking up more words. It could be a coincidence, and the GP couldn't get a good look in his ears to see, but I suspect possibly glue ear.
    DS is now 25 months and picking up new words every day.
    Some of the advice in this thread is great. Just try to be really consistent and repetitive. Animal sounds count too, it's all about making the sounds that become words or form part of words.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    My DS has extremely narrow ear canals, so he is prone to ear issues. He suprisingily hadn't had that many actual ear infections, but was always tugging at his ears which is what led me to taking him to a paed and finding the glue ear. The grommets have helped immensley. He also had his adenoids out at the same time as they were larger than normal.
    Thanks, DS pulls at his ears a fair bit but I've always assumed it's to do with teething. He's had 1 ear infection and I have a feeling it hasn't really cleared up because he's really not happy at the moment 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I would get a hearing test- just because I think it's a good idea at 2 to get one.

Yes you need a referral- we did anyway

Other than that, I wouldn't be overly concerned, as he could just explode into language at any point.
    Thank you. I have an appointment to see a doctor on Friday but it's now our normal doctor so will wait to see her and get a referral.
    Hopefully it just takes off and I'll wonder what all the fuss was about lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

DT75  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    My DS was the same at 20months. His GP told us not to worry until he turned 2. He only had about 10 words by his birthday so we went back and got a referral for a hearing test and speech pathologist.
    Almost as soon as I made the speechy appointment DS started gathering more and more words.
    DS had his appoint a couple of weeks ago and she just assessed him and gave us an exercise to do at home.
    There was a long wait to get in for a hearing test, which is happening next week. I actually think hearing may have been a factor. DS has only had one ear infection so I never really considered his ears could be a problem, but a few weeks ago he woke up with quite a lot of sticky yellow gunk. It was around then he started picking up more words. It could be a coincidence, and the GP couldn't get a good look in his ears to see, but I suspect possibly glue ear.
    DS is now 25 months and picking up new words every day.
    Some of the advice in this thread is great. Just try to be really consistent and repetitive. Animal sounds count too, it's all about making the sounds that become words or form part of words.
    Thank you for your reply. That is really helpful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks, DS pulls at his ears a fair bit but I've always assumed it's to do with teething. He's had 1 ear infection and I have a feeling it hasn't really cleared up because he's really not happy at the moment ������
    Aw poor thing... there is nothing worse than an ear infection (ok that's not technically true...but they suck!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were you worried about him not talking?
    I think people around me are making me feel I should worry. I was actually enjoying the fact he couldn't back chat yet lol but everyone mentions it and it started making me think maybe he was a fair bit behind and everything on Google says he is 😒
    I wasn't all that worried TBH. I'm a bit relaxed about child development though, I put a lot of faith in my gut and my gut said he was fine. I took him to the GP twice over 6 months to get his ears checked and both times she was pretty relaxed about it as well. No one around me was concerned so that probably helped. I also stopped seeing the CHN at about 18 months because I felt like everything was so rigid and expectations were so by the book. There are huge variations in normal and I just figured I'd wait until he was 3 before being concerned. But that was me, my gut feelings based on his behaviour. I'm not writing off issues that kids have, I'm just also very mindful that there are huge variations in normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thought I might give this thread an update.
    DS had a hearing test early December. His hearing is perfect. No concerns at all. He's still not talking much. Lots of babbling and really tries to communicate but just can't get the words out. Must be so frustrating for him. I have to keep reminding myself he's nearly 2 and a lot smarter than I think just because he can't talk doesn't mean he's still a little baby. I feel bad for that. I do try to make sure I'm communicating with him properly. I don't feel as concerned as what others think I should be. Dp isn't worried that much either. We can see he is a smart boy and very bright, he just doesn't talk.

Does anyone know anything that can help? Any exercises we can try, we use a mirror to talk in to. He's more concerned at looking at his face when he cries lol we read a lot. We talk to him all the time. I will admit we probably have the tv on too much. Will this cause problems? He still has a dummy and a bottle at bed time but it's only at bed time. He gets his dummy if he really hurts himself (which isn't often) are these few times going to be causing a problem as well? I've probably asked these already. Oh well.

Day care are saying they are worried about his attention span. It's only short. I think this is silly because well he's a young kid of course it's short!