+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default When should I worry?

I'm wondering if any ladies on here can give me a bit of advice..

DS is just shy of 20 months. He barely speaks. He has said no more than 10 different words, he uses one or two a lot but the rest are barely ever used. When we went for his 18 month needles our doctor said to give him a couple of months and see how he's going. That couple of months is nearly up and things aren't much better at all..

He does understand what we say, he does things when asked.. As best a toddler can without getting over it lol, he babbles Alot. Like a lot, just to us it doesn't sound like anything.
    He does get in his own little world and doesn't listen but I don't think there is anything wrong with his hearing, he's just ignorant lol

We read to him, he loves reading books, we talk with him about things we are doing or going to do, we sing and we try to play different games with him but he loses interest quickly.

Now his day care teachers are saying he may need grommets, like seriously?! DS has had ONE ear infection in his life. It was only recent as well. Also some family members are saying maybe a tongue or lip tie. That would of been obvious before now surely?

Is there anything we aren't doing that could help? I really have no idea if we aren't doing enough or if something is wrong. We will take him to see the doctor again as soon as I can get an appointment but in the mean time is there any advice?

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ds is 23 months now and I would say at 20 months he was the same. It's only been in the last couple of months that he's really started saying lots more and even now most words are fragments but he's trying to copy, for example fruit is "fru". I've never been worried and it sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default When should I worry?

Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    My ds is 23 months now and I would say at 20 months he was the same. It's only been in the last couple of months that he's really started saying lots more and even now most words are fragments but he's trying to copy, for example fruit is "fru". I've never been worried and it sounds like you're doing everything you should be doing.
    Thank you, DS is definitely trying to say some things but we can't work it out. He gets frustrated because we can't understand him.

Did your DS just suddenly start saying things or were there certain things u were doing to encourage him? Did you speak to your DS doctor about it or just gave it more time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 27 months and he still only says about 50 words, which isn't a lot for his age. But like your DS his comprehension is great, lots of babbling and a wide range of sounds...and yes, sometimes he's in a zone and completely ignores us! But I think most kids do that! His daycarers & our gp said they're not concerned. Some kids just take a bit longer to talk.

He's only just started 'parroting' things we say and attempting new words when we ask him.

A couple of things we found that helped - got rid of the dummy, and made him use his words when he wanted something instead of just grunting & pointing.

The other thing I do is get him to repeat a list of words he knows, then give him a new word. He's more likely to try a new word then, as I think he feels more confident.

Also when reading books I'll point something out and ask him what it is, and if he doesn't know I'll give the word and ask him to say it.

If you're concerned or if your DS is showing other concerning behaviours, a trip to the GP to discuss it won't hurt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should probably add he still has 2 bottles and a dummy at sleep time, I'm sure that doesn't help but we are trying to change things up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    My DS is 27 months and he still only says about 50 words, which isn't a lot for his age. But like your DS his comprehension is great, lots of babbling and a wide range of sounds...and yes, sometimes he's in a zone and completely ignores us! But I think most kids do that! His daycarers & our gp said they're not concerned. Some kids just take a bit longer to talk.

He's only just started 'parroting' things we say and attempting new words when we ask him.

A couple of things we found that helped - got rid of the dummy, and made him use his words when he wanted something instead of just grunting & pointing.

The other thing I do is get him to repeat a list of words he knows, then give him a new word. He's more likely to try a new word then, as I think he feels more confident.

Also when reading books I'll point something out and ask him what it is, and if he doesn't know I'll give the word and ask him to say it.

If you're concerned or if your DS is showing other concerning behaviours, a trip to the GP to discuss it won't hurt.
    Thank you very much! That's very helpful. Our doctor hasn't been overly concerned that's why she said to give him a couple of months to see what he does. He will put to his nose etc when we ask (if he's in the mood to cooperate lol otherwise he just takes off lol)
    Thank you very much I'll give these a go!
    I'm not overly concerned but I am if that makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Thank you very much! That's very helpful. Our doctor hasn't been overly concerned that's why she said to give him a couple of months to see what he does. He will put to his nose etc when we ask (if he's in the mood to cooperate lol otherwise he just takes off lol)
    Thank you very much I'll give these a go!
    I'm not overly concerned but I am if that makes sense?
    Oh I totally get it! I still have times where I'm concerned about DS, especially if I'm seeing other kids his age having full conversations!! But I just remind myself that he's a bright and happy kid and normal in all other ways - he's just needing a bit more time to build up confidence with talking.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds is a few days shy of 20 month and sounds the same as yours. He is lazy and will communicate with us other ways rather then say something, but when he really wants to he will say something. He has never had an ear infection but due to my history he has just had his hearing checked (not that he let them do much) just to rule things out. My child health nurse said not to worry until he was 2 I can't remember what the gp said.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jazz1910 For This Useful Post:

Hasselhoff  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is now 24 months and two months ago we had a speech pathologist assess him for the same reason - heaps of babbling but only a few clear words. She was really reassuring as she said boys are often slower but the majority catch up on their own. She also said the babbling was a great sign. Basically DS wasn't making many "oo" and "ee" sounds so we play lots of games repeating the same sounds eg rolling things down saying "wee". Also things like blowing bubbles, stopping, and getting him to say "more", and playing the same playschool cd in the car for repetition (this has made a big difference - he tries to sing along). Hope this helps .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, I personally think age 2 is a good time to make a call on whether you need to look into some speech therapy/hearing tests/evaluation for your DS. Some toddlers don't speak much until they get closer to 2, then they explode with a heap of new words/language.

Here's a bit of a guide:

A typical 2-year-old should:

* speak in two-word phrases, like "more juice" and "go bye-bye"
    * follow two-step commands
    * name simple objects
    * have a vocabulary of 50 or more words
    * be understood at least 50% of the time by a parent

Between 2 and 3 years, vocabulary continues to build and comprehension also increases. By 3 years of age, a child should:

* speak in three-word sentences
    * have a vocabulary of 200 words or more (basically, more than you can count)
    * be understood 75% of the time
    * understand prepositions (such as, "put it on the table" or "put it under the bed")
    * use pronouns ("me," "you," "it")