+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default High FSH and Cancelled IVF

I'm 29 and found out earlier this year that I have high FSH. It has gotten progressively worse over the past five months, but stabilised around 15 (amh 3)

I was put on the birth control pill for 3 weeks to try and lower my FSH for our first IVF cycle. My ultrasound showed 23 follicles so I was happy (I usually get 5-7!) but my bloods showed FSH had jumped to 17 and the canned my cycle.

I now have to go back on a different pill for three weeks then see if it improves.

I have no faith that it will since it has been on an upward trend for the past 5 months..I know FSH can fluctuate, but for me it has always been in the wrong direction. I'm devastated that we didn't even get the opportunity to try.

Has anyone been in this situation before? What treatment protocol did they use to try and lower the FSH? Did you manage to start a cycle later on? Was your treatment successful? Do you have any advice?

I'm seriously starting to lose hope here. It's been 2.5 years TTC, 7 or so chemical pregnancies, immune issues and now this.

Any advice would be so much appreciated…I don't know anyone with this problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there. No experience, just wanted to give you a virtual hug and let you know someone is listening. Take extra care of yourself mentally through the next couple of weeks. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @happycamper xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    No one has had this experience? :/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Me too :)

Hey patience86,
    I'm in the same boat as you; 29 with a high FSH (15/16). I only found out a couple of months ago after TTC for 9months... I honestly thought being under 30, fit and healthy, we could get pregnant easily. Sadly not!
    I started my first IVF cycle last week but speaking to my doctor yesterday they said my FSH remained pretty high and although I'm booked in for an ultrasound on Monday, the chances are this round will be cancelled.
    It's a real kick in the teeth & it's hard not to get frustrated/upset/disappointed.

The FSH levels for us aren't ideal and I think it's tricky to reduce them, however a few friends have recommend Chinese Herbalists...I'm a little sceptical but I'll probably give it a shot.
    We are fortunate to still be young (in terms of IVF) so certainly don't get yourself down. Sometimes these things take time and I'm going into this process fully expecting it to take at least a few cycles for me.
    Keep me updated on your journey X

Thanks
    Reviews

Default High FSH and Cancelled IVF

Wow thanks aqua85 it sounds like we have a lot in common, thanks for replying...I feel less alone! But I am sorry you are in the same boat..it is so frustrating esp being under 30

What protocol are you on? Mine is basically oestrogen priming..

Yes, I have heard good things about Chinese medicine. I have had acupuncture since Jan but just added in herbs too to try and get this FSH down...at this point I would bark at the moon if there was a chance it could improve things haha!

Wishing you all the very best and hoping your cycle goes ahead! Keep me updated too, would love to hear how you go ( feel free to PM me )

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Patience86 I had a similar issue, high fsh (always fluctuated between 15 & 19) with low amh (1.4). I was 36 and single and wanted to get my fertility tested as I wanted a baby and wanted to gauge how much time I might have had. Results were shocking, it was very upsetting so I decided to do an egg freeze. My FS didn't tell me it was unlikely to work due to high fsh. Ended up with only 2 follicles so cancelled. From then on I had blood tests every month waiting to see if it would come down so I could try again but it never did. I was on HRT, tired Chinese meds but nothing worked. So I decided to give up on it all and just get on with life. I ended up meeting a lovely guy and somehow against all the odds I fell pregnant naturally. So I just want to give you hope it can still happen. I'm interested to know why they cancelled your cycle if you had 23 follicles? That's a lot! Do they think the eggs will be poor quality?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kelly, wow what a journey you have had! Congratulations on your pregnancy! What an amazing story

Yes I was really annoyed about the follicles. I usually have about 7 ( one freak month of 14) so I was astounded when they found 23. And very annoyed that they cancelled on that cycle. They think my eggs should be good quality too as I am young and have been pregnant before. They just said the FSH was too high and I wouldn't respond to stimulation.

Hopefully I will have a decent haul next time too....

Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your story

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    Hi Kelly, wow what a journey you have had! Congratulations on your pregnancy! What an amazing story

Yes I was really annoyed about the follicles. I usually have about 7 ( one freak month of 14) so I was astounded when they found 23. And very annoyed that they cancelled on that cycle. They think my eggs should be good quality too as I am young and have been pregnant before. They just said the FSH was too high and I wouldn't respond to stimulation.

Hopefully I will have a decent haul next time too....

Congratulations again and thank you for sharing your story
    I'm not sure how much better you could get than 23! I know of many women who went ahead with only 3 or 4 and still retrieved a few eggs so I would be questioning your clinic more about this as it seems strange. Had you already stimmed when you got 23? As its a pretty good response IMO!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it was day 3 of my cycle...no stims...the whole thing really confused me!