+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Questions to ask my OB?

I have my next antenatal appt in a couple of days and am getting a list of questions together as I always forget once I am in there.

What are some questions I should ask with regard to VBAC? OB already knows I want to try and is supportive (all going well of course). I know they do offer wireless waterproof monitoring and I can use shower/bath if all is well. Other than that I am thinking:

- how long will they let me go over before they decide to induce?
    - how long will they let me go over and still try for VBAC?
    - how many hours of labor do they consider too long for a VBAC attempt?
    - what are the reasons they would refuse to let me attempt?

Anything else I should ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What are your induction options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I wouldn't be looking at a time cut-off for labour.

As long as labour is progressing and baby is happy, it shouldn't matter how long it takes.
    Reason I wanted to ask is that at the last appointment she suggested they wouldn't 'let me go on that long' when I told her about my previous (20hr +) labor. They had thought I was 'progressing' as my contraction were 1-2 mins apart the whole time. But stuck at 6cm for 5 hours, my crooked little boy eventually went into fetal distress and hence the emergency C.

Perhaps I just ask her to clarify when they are likely to intervene and why...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    What are your induction options?
    Cool thanks I hadn't thought of that as didn't need induction last time. I definitely want to avoid it if possible but yes good to know what are my options if needed.

What are the best ways to be induced, what do I want to avoid?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be looking at a time cut-off for labour.

As long as labour is progressing and baby is happy, it shouldn't matter how long it takes.
    That's an important point. There is no evidence to say that a prolonged labour puts extra stress on a uterine scar. As long as bub is happy and things are moving, also taking into account that labour does not always or even often progress in a linear fashion, you should be safe to keep labouring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask your OB about movement restrictions. Even if you do have to have the CTG with the cords, it's still very possible to labour actively and off the bed. Ask what they can do at the hospital to facilitate that (birthing stools, beanbags, etc).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
    Ask your OB about movement restrictions. Even if you do have to have the CTG with the cords, it's still very possible to labour actively and off the bed. Ask what they can do at the hospital to facilitate that (birthing stools, beanbags, etc).
    Thanks I have been told the monitoring is wireless and I am able to use shower & bath but I will double check regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well being stuck at 6cm for 5 hours isn't progressing.

Progressing is cervical change.
    No it's not. It took them a while to figure that out as there was limited internals (was a birth centre) and they were just going off the frequency and intensity of my contractions. They told me it quite rare to have such strong frequent contractions for so long without progress, that normally contractions would slow down or be inconsistent if there was a problem. I am sure they did their best. Not much point analysing the past though, different hospital this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
    That's an important point. There is no evidence to say that a prolonged labour puts extra stress on a uterine scar. As long as bub is happy and things are moving, also taking into account that labour does not always or even often progress in a linear fashion, you should be safe to keep labouring.
    Great thanks. I think I will ask more questions on how they define progression. I totally don't mind having a long labor as long as it's moving in the right direction.

I've also said I am not going to 'fight' for a VBAC if my OB doesn't think it's safe. I chose her because I trust her judgement and ultimately the birth is about mum and bub being safe. My intense desire to have a natural birth last time caused me great distress and depression when it didn't happen, I want to avoid that and keep an open mind as to the possibilities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ask when they want you to come in. My hospy wanted me early for my vbac but when I rang to talk to the MW they didn't think I was in labour so arrived fully dilated.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (13-10-2015)