+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Needles

I'm hopefully not far off starting my first cycle, but I'm scared about the needles we will have to inject ourselves. How many needles are there how long are they and do they hurt???

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends on what type of cycle you're doing, and what your reason for needing IVF are.

Most clinics do one of two cycles - a long down-regulation cycle (agonist) or a short cycle called an antagonist cycle.

Agonist if you use Lucrin you have one needle a day for about 7-10 days, then two a day for 7-14 days on average. Then you have a trigger needle to trigger ovulation and occasionally some people have progesterone support via a needle.

Antagonist is 1 needle a day for approx 5 days and then 2 a day until you trigger and go to egg collection.

Personally I found them relatively painless and not a big deal at all. You can ice the area beforehand to numb it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @nicole79 I am an absolute needle phobic and that was the one thing that prevented me from doing IVF earlier - I was absolutely terrified and felt sick even at the thought of it.

What I did to get me through was use the Emla anaesthetic patches every time I had to inject. I bought a box of twenty and I would cut them in half as the full patch isn't needed for the small injection site. Just knowing that I wouldn't feel the needle at all (even though they are tiny) put my anxiety at ease.

After doing several rounds I got to the point where I could inject without the patch at all - I was so proud of myself! So if you are very anxious, then that could be an option for you, it really helped me.

As for how many there are, that does differ depending on what type of cycle you are doing and if your FS splits the stimulating hormone between morning and night, or just morning. For most, it's only about ten days of injections during the first half of your cycle, some days with two or three if you are inhibiting or triggering ovulation. It is much easier than I thought it would be, although I never really felt entirely comfortable with it.

Good luck hon,
    xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    They don't hurt, they're tiny.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF Needles

@nicole79 - I was struggling with the needles and found them stressful and that they stung a little. But I'm ok with doing them now and can barely feel anything. I would recommend icing you stomach before hand, and I mean really icing until it is super numb. Then I would recommend taking a deep breath in and as you exhale insert the needle. Also make sure if any of your needles are kept in the fridge that they are room temperature before you inject them. That makes a difference too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started my first cycle. I was worry before I started. I am using gonal f plus orgalutran starting from day 5. Gonal f is thin and not painful but orgalutran is a little bit thicker and make you feel pain.
    My hubby is always by my side when I have my self injections that make me feel more comfortable. My nurse said my medi last for 10 to 14 days. Fingercross hope for the best.

All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate needles but I became a bit blasé. The needles are tiny and you know it's for a reason. Good luck, I hope it goes well xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to have a real phobia of needles. Ivf sorted that out. The fsh ones don't hurt at all, and you can hardly feel them. The pre-filled syringes (Orgalutran) aren't as fine and are a bit harder to get in but you will still be fine. Don't take your time, just stick it in haha. I did ice the area prior a couple of if times to numb the area and ease my fear but the cold ice hurt more than the needle. Stick to the sides close to the belly button and just underneath. The further you go from that area the more you are likely to feel it.