+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default VBAC risks

I'm TTC baby number 2 and had an emergency c section with my first. He was 4.1kg and I failed to progress past 7cm in 15.5 hours. There was meconium in my waters and I wasn't progressing so I asked for a c section and my ob reluctantly agreed. When he did the c section he commented that we definitely made the right call and there was no way that he was going to come out vaginally. It's only now that I'm thinking of a second bub that I realise I should have asked him why. Not sure if he was just too big for my pelvis or if he was posterior (heaps of back pain in labour and contractions 3 minutes apart from the outset).

So now I'm contemplating whether to have an elective c section or try for a vbac wih baby number 2. Finding out why he wouldn't fit out is obviously a big part to that decision.

My biggest concern is the risk of ruptured uterus. Are there ways that this can be monitored, symptoms that would indicate this is an issue etc or is it just that it can randomly tear?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I attempted a vbac 3 weeks ago. Similar to you my first bub was emergency c-section due to failure to progress past 7cm and bub was in distress plus meconium in my waters. Only i wasn't given the option, i was told I'd need the c-section.
    Fast forward 2.5 years, dr was willing to let me try vbac. I had to be induced at 38w due to gestational diabetes. I had a cooks catheter inserted on the sunday night, the next morning at 9am my waters were broken then i was put on a low dose synto drip. Things were progressing really well, i got to 8cm by late afternoon (very painfully due to the synto), and that's when it all when downhill. Bub went into distress and i started bleeding. As these are signs of uterus rupture i was literally rushed into theatre, put under general anesthetic and had a c-section. It was the scariest time of my life. One minute i had a midwife and ob in the room telling me how well i was doing, then all of a sudden people were running in getting me prepped for surgery and i was being wheeled to theatre. My dh couldn't even come in with me. There was no time for written consent, they were yelling do you give verbal consent? Of course i said yes and next thing i know i woke up in recovery.
    The next day the dr came in to explain what happened. She told me it was a case of uterine rupture until proven otherwise, and they weren't willing to take the risk that my uterus wasn't rupturing. I was totally fine with this, my baby and i were fine and that was all that mattered to me. Yes i was disappointed that my vbac didn't happen. I still am. But i look at my baby boy and i am ok. My uterus didn't rupture but bub had his hand stuck above his head against my cervix so he wouldn't have come naturally anyway I'm told.

If they let you try for a vbac you will have continous fetal monitoring for starters. If they suspect even a little bit that your uterus may rupture it will be a csection straight away, that's what they told me before my induction.
    Despite the outcome I'm happy i tried.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

NicT  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a successful VBAC 5 years after my first. My first emergency section was due to failure to progress and I had to go through leaps and bounds to get my VBAC.

Yes there are risks as with any labour and the only suggestion I will offer is to do your research and decide what you are comfortable with.

Through in research I found that a VBAC is still safer than a repeat section (in cases where there are no other impending medical factors of health risks), you have to de idea how far are you willing to go and make sure you have a great support team.

My VBAC was 73 hours active labour and 45 minutes pushing, it was bloody hard but worth it for me.

You can of course ask for continuous monitoring (most hospital say this is a must but I refused and went intermittent instead) and often you get put on a time limit.

Good luck, if a VBAC is your choice there is so much support and research groups out there!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

NicT  (11-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (11-10-2015),sunnygirl79  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a successful vbac after 2 ceaserians, all 2 years apart. Same reasons as you both times 15 hrs never got past 3cms. Third time i had contractions for 3.5 days and it took 5.5 hrs of pushing and bubs was out. 4kgs and 59.5 cms long. Exhausting but worth it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

NicT  (11-10-2015),sunnygirl79  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good food for thought. Thanks for sharing your stories ladies. It makes me think that a vbac is actually an option. I will firstly need to succeed in this TTC caper and then it's a matter of finding out more info from my ob. I know he is very pro vbac so I won't get pushed toward c section unless totally necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sooooo want a VBAC this time. I told myself I wouldn't get so hung up on the birth after my last experience left me traumatised - that I would just focus on the healthy baby and mumma at the end. But gosh I want a VBAC so bad all the positive stories make me tear up.

For those that managed a successful VBAC how long did you labor at home for before going into hosp? I am really concerned about being put on a timer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I attempted a vbac with my second, first was en elective csect with medical reasons.

I was monitored constantly but that was really only restriction that was put on me, the hospital that I was at had wireless, waterproof monitoring so I was free to walk around if I desired. I laboured for 52 hours the majority of them at home, unfortunately my son was posterior and they were going to attempt an episiotomy and forceps when it was clear after 2.5 hours of pushing he wasn't budging, his head was just elongating, they decided he couldn't come that way either and his heart rate was dropping so I had an emergency csect. The only thing that prevented me birthing him naturally was his position, he was jammed in there. The hospital was great they were right on my side enabling me to do anything I felt I needed to do to succeed wth my vbac. The only restrictions they had in place was no synthetic induction and continuous monitoring, other than that it was like a normal labour, I was allowed to go two weeks over too and did haha.

Good luck with your vbac.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

NicT  (13-10-2015),sunnygirl79  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PipersMummy View Post
    I attempted a vbac with my second, first was en elective csect with medical reasons.

I was monitored constantly but that was really only restriction that was put on me, the hospital that I was at had wireless, waterproof monitoring so I was free to walk around if I desired. I laboured for 52 hours the majority of them at home, unfortunately my son was posterior and they were going to attempt an episiotomy and forceps when it was clear after 2.5 hours of pushing he wasn't budging, his head was just elongating, they decided he couldn't come that way either and his heart rate was dropping so I had an emergency csect. The only thing that prevented me birthing him naturally was his position, he was jammed in there. The hospital was great they were right on my side enabling me to do anything I felt I needed to do to succeed wth my vbac. The only restrictions they had in place was no synthetic induction and continuous monitoring, other than that it was like a normal labour, I was allowed to go two weeks over too and did haha.

Good luck with your vbac.
    Thanks good to know you can still labor at home. 52 hrs geez was that all 2 min contractions?!

Position is what I am most worried about (stupidly as probably the one thing I can't control). DS head was crooked and angled getting him stuck high in my pelvis the whole labor (20+) he didn't move but my body kept trying to push him out regardless. Each contraction just wedged him in further and he eventually went into distress. He ended up needing Physio on his neck in his first few weeks of life because of it.

I don't mind a long labor if I know it's progressing. Just hard to know whether it really is!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was an emergency CS after over 30 hours of labour from waters breaking spontaneously. I was talked into an epi so they could turn up the syntocin to get things going. DD was posterior with a tilted chin and still high after 2 hours of pushing. She was 8lb 14oz (4.03kg). There was talk during my second pregnancy that a rcs would probably be required if bubs head was still high at 38-40 weeks. I researched until the cows came home and decided vbac was for me. I spent the second half of my pregnancy doing everything I could to encourage optimum position (no reclining on the couch, crawling around to pick up toys, lots of time on the birth ball or leaning over it to watch tv. At 39 weeks I declined rcs and opted to wait until 40 weeks to give my body a chance to do its thing. The hospital asked me what MY plan was with my OB (who had just left for holidays). I told them I wanted to see how things would go without drugs or intervention (aside from intermittent monitoring). My waters broke at 39+5 and DS head was still high after 15 hours but then suddenly dropped in and away we went! After 3 hours of pushing and one small internal tear I delivered my beautiful bouncing baby boy 10lb 2oz (4.59kg) via unmedicated vbac at 39+6. I'm currently 28 weeks pregnant with number 3 and can't wait to do it all again! My vbac birth was so healing after the trauma & disappointment of my ecs. Sorry for the novel! Good luck!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

NicT  (13-10-2015),sunnygirl79  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first was c section after his heart rate was rising and they thought he had an infection. I also think he would have struggled to have come out naturally as he was posterior with his chin up (when they cut his head to get blood samples while in labour the cuts were almost on his forehead so I don't know how he would have come through!). Like most people I found the emergency c section very scary and worrying. Everyone was so rushed wanting to get baby out, talking about ga even though i had an epi in as they might not have time to wait for drugs to take effect etc.
    So with my second baby I did consider vbac but I had 19 months between them and the dr mentioned that the risks of uterine rupture are higher if the interval is less than 18 months. In the end I went for elective c section and although it was quite clinical it was nice and calm. Although you don't know what would have happened, I'm glad I chose the c section as my uterus ripped when they were removing baby and I lost more blood than normal (1L) and the baby had a knot in his umbilical cord. Like I say, I still might have had a normal uneventful delivery but being posterior as well I'm happy with my decision. Saying that I do have huge regrets at times that I havnt had the experience of a vb and have been told I would need another c section of I had more children (although I've seen people on here having vbacs after multiple c sections so not sure if this is true). It's a hard decision but I would necessarily put too much weight on size of baby as each baby is different so that may not be a factor this time. Hopefully they can monitor head size during scans as well and indicate if there may be an issue. Good luck with your decision.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

NicT  (13-10-2015)