+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think anyone would say that genetics is the sole reason behind every obese person's weight problems. Nor that it should form a permanent excuse. But if we are going to discuss the obesity epidemic then it's a valid discussion.

I've had to fight tooth and nail for every kilo I've lost. I've had to cut out all the foods I love, sweat it at the gym, be super disciplined. To get 200g losses and even plateau for weeks. Meanwhile Dh's family who are all rakes, gorge on a diet of junk food, alcohol and their exercise consists of a walk to the fridge. They have amazing genes. I would seriously gain 2+kg a week on their diet. Yet they are size 6/8.

I liken it to two people at uni doing a medical degree. One has exceptional intellect, has been top of their class every single year. The other has only average intellect. The latter states the former has the genetic advantage and they have to work 10 times harder to pass. I doubt people would roll their eyes and suggest that was just an excuse. Yes they may well finish the degree and come out a doctor. But it was far, far harder for them than the Poindexter.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (03-11-2015),yadot  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think anyone would say that genetics is the sole reason behind every obese person's weight problems. Nor that it should form a permanent excuse. But if we are going to discuss the obesity epidemic then it's a valid discussion.

I've had to fight tooth and nail for every kilo I've lost. I've had to cut out all the foods I love, sweat it at the gym, be super disciplined. To get 200g losses and even plateau for weeks. Meanwhile Dh's family who are all rakes, gorge on a diet of junk food, alcohol and their exercise consists of a walk to the fridge. They have amazing genes. I would seriously gain 2+kg a week on their diet. Yet they are size 6/8.

I liken it to two people at uni doing a medical degree. One has exceptional intellect, has been top of their class every single year. The other has only average intellect. The latter states the former has the genetic advantage and they have to work 10 times harder to pass. I doubt people would roll their eyes and suggest that was just an excuse. Yes they may well finish the degree and come out a doctor. But it was far, far harder for them than the Poindexter.
    Totally agree with this. Especially if you have pcos. Unless I stay on a strict no sugar calorie controlled diet, I gain weight so quickly. That's with exercise and PT with weights. Very hard to explain to a skinny person who thinks nothing of the occasional cake with coffee or morning tea, because they can. People assume all those who are overweight are eating hamburgers every night but for some (and of course only a small percentage) it's not the case.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (04-11-2015),GirlsRock  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.sciencealert.com/this-infographic-reveals-the-daily-habits-of-naturally-slim-people

This came up on my news feed from science alert - a study on the exercise and eating habits of healthy weigt people. It showed a bit of exercise,lots of veg, and healthy foods are the norm for a healthy weight - no diet fads,you dont have to be a gym jumkie,just be a bit active & eat well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (06-11-2015)