+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Reducing intake of refined sugar (and I emphasise refined) is admirable, and not the point of annoyance. It is the current mentality that the root of all dietary evil is sugar. Fad diets which are "ultra-low carbs", written by people who probably have no idea that fruit and vegetables are, in fact, carbohydrates.
    And please don't cite "That Sugar Film" as a reference. The study population was 1. There was very limited science behind this comedy-documentary. It was entertaining, but certainly not a randomised-controlled study with statistical significance.
    Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Wasn't the CSRIO diet doing the same thing though? Reducing carbs and increasing protein? I've actually never followed any of these diets but my recollection is the release of this diet was a water shed moment for the high protein low carb diets because they now had scientific backing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    On the topic of snacks I really do think people eat too much. If you are eating 3 good quality filling meals a day you don't need to snack or only need a small amount in between IMO. In office settings I see people eat almost all day - morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and then they eat at their desks too. Ive worked at places where people had boxes of cereal on their desk and then had second breakfast when they got to work. Eating out of boredom is a big one. Sedentary desk jobs are the worst - people sit all day long and eat. In active jobs where people need to move and don't have time to eat all day, I wonder if overweight and obese people are harder to find.
    I have a sedentary desk job and I do feel the impact it has on my health, especially in terms of posture. I have to really try to get up from my desk regularly & walk on my lunch break when possible. Inactivity is the devil!

I don't binge gorge on food at my desk, but I've worked in some places where others certainly did. One lovable but obese lady I once worked with had the most stocked-up snack drawer imaginable. It was like a store.

What works for me is to eat moderately in the week at work - sensible lunches & avoiding excessive snacking, then I can eat more freely on the weekends.

For about 18 months (years ago) I had a job that involved half office work and half packing orders in a warehouse. The physicality of it made the weight drop off me - even though I would eat like a horse in my lunch break (I'm talking two big salad rolls).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I snack,I dont particularly think snacking itself is bad, its what you eat for the snack. Bikkies and museli bars =high calorie,low nutrition. Fruit, veg = low calorie, high nutrition. My snacks are nostly f &veg. This is what a typical day looks like -
    Brekkie -either museli, porridge,or a smoothie with a mix of fruit,veg & nuts
    Morning tea - a piece of fruit
    Lunch - a salad, soup, etc - veg & protein, maybe a small serve of grains
    Afternoon snack - veg sticks & sometimed a hummus dip,maybe a handful of cashews or a rice cake (depending on how light lunch was)
    Dinner - veg & protein, maybe a small serve of grains
    Later - a cup of tea &maybe a handful of dried fruit & nuts.

I dont eat a lot of heavily processed,marketed 'snack' foods, but I eat smaller amounts regularly. I wouldnt get my serves of fruit &veg in if I didnt snack.

ETA - 1-2× per week I will have a 'treat' food - coffee and doughnut, takeaway for lunch,a few bikkies or some chocolate on a weekend evening. I am all for balance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    And it depends on what else you're eating. If you're having smaller sized breakfast, lunch and dinner's and then healthy snacks in between - then that's fine.

It's when you're eating "normal" (enough to meet your requirements for the day) sized breakfasts, lunches and dinners and then snacking on things like muffins, smoothies, frappes, chips etc that you'll quickly pile on the weight.
    Exactly and I think this is where people stumble. Snacking in itself isn't bad if you are still eating within the calorie range every day and not snacking on junky foods in between meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    And drinks!!

An "original" sized smoothie from Boost Juice is 400-500 calories.
    An iced coffee from Gloria Jeans is 300cal, their iced chocolates are 400calories.

Just 1 of those is a quarter if not more of your daily intake!!
    You know that 1200 calories is what people (women mostly) should consume if they want to lose weight?

A moderately active woman should consume at least 2000 calories to maintain weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You know that 1200 calories is what people (women mostly) should consume if they want to lose weight?

A moderately active woman should consume at least 2000 calories to maintain weight.
    I would gain on 2000 calories - I need to eat no more than 1800 to maintain a healthy weigt, and 1200-1500 to lose weight. I am moderately active.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I would gain on 2000 calories - I need to eat no more than 1800 to maintain a healthy weigt, and 1200-1500 to lose weight. I am moderately active.
    I am moderately active as well. I would starve on 1200 and still hungry on 1500 but manageable with willpower and loads and loads of water. I can do 1700 but I don't really count calories.

I need protein to fill me up. I would be hungry on what you eat. I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast usually. I would have to have a tin of tuna or a boiled egg as a snack rather than so much fruit otherwise I would be raiding the fridge/cupboard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Calorie intake for maintaining weight does depend a lot on your build and your activity level, and also your metabolism.

I'm 156cm with a small frame and fairly sedentary. To maintain weight and feel satiated I need to keep to around 1400 calories a day. Any more than that and I gain weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The more I think about it, I'm not really sure why you posted this.

What point were you trying to make?

Then why post that you have to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight?
    I assumed you were saying that the 300 is at least 1/4 of your daily needs. Which is probably true if you're a 19 year old with a bmi of 19 but not the norm for most.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am moderately active as well. I would starve on 1200 and still hungry on 1500 but manageable with willpower and loads and loads of water. I can do 1700 but I don't really count calories.

I need protein to fill me up. I would be hungry on what you eat. I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast usually. I would have to have a tin of tuna or a boiled egg as a snack rather than so much fruit otherwise I would be raiding the fridge/cupboard.
    I also rely on protein to fill me up,but we dont eat dairy or egg (allergies), so I have lean meat & eat nuts/ legumes (including hummus) for my protein.