+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That Sugar Film was never made to be presented as a 'study'. It never stated "this is exactly what will happen too your body if you eat to much sugar"...but highlighted the known risks like type 2 diabetes, heart disease & fatty liver. It was made to highlight that we consume so much hidden sugar, that we think we're making healthy choices based on misleading advertising but that in fact we're not, that we should reduce our sugar intake to the WHO guidelines, and that eating a balanced diet of fresh food and doing regular exercise is the best option...I'm not sure why that's being seen as a bad thing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    M
    We could start with a ban on food advertising when kids are in front of the TV. Advertising is nasty especially on young brains.
    Maybe parents should just say no and not buy their kids crap to eat
    Last edited by VicPark; 15-10-2015 at 05:20.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

yadot  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I like PP's idea of taxing 'package' food companies and subsidising fresh food. We eat mostly fresh food, our fruit and veg makes up the majority of our shopping cost for the week (around 80% is fresh fruit & veg). It costs a bucketload, especially when I could buy a packet of crappy biscuits for $1 to feed my kids instead. I would LOVE if F & veg were cheaper & package food more expensive (granted, I don't really buy package food, so it doesn't impact me in that way!) I know the farmers aren't raking in these huge profits. The big supermarkets and big food companies seem to be the ones making all the $$ for us. If obesity TRULY is such a huge health issue, why not expect them to pay a tax, like we do with cigarettes?
    I know that obesity is a much greater problem in low-SES areas. Cheap, crappy fast food is much more common in lower income areas. Low income and low education couple together so that the mum DOES fill up the trolley with the crappy $1 packet of biscuits or chips or whatever, instead of spending on fruit & veg. Feeding my kids (and myself) good, healthy food is a HUGE investment in both time and money. It's much easier to open a pack of biscuits for morning tea, instead of cutting up a platter of fruit. I can see how easy it would be to fall into the habit of just doing the easy option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone watched Back In Time For Dinner? Its been showing on the Lifestyle channel. They get a family to follow the diet of average britons from the 1940's onwards, one decade each week, based on the national food survey. I found it quite fascinating to see the evolution of our diet, and how it was influenced by technology and societal trends and how it effected lifestyle and family interactions.

For example, in the 1940's they didn't have a refrigerator or freezer, so most food was bought fresh, everything was cooked from scratch, but the wife (who of course generally didn't work outside the home) was basically chained to the kitchen!

Whereas by the 1970's they had a fridge & freezer and a lot of women were gaining employment. So convenience became more of a necessity and frozen foods, pre-made meals, and snack foods really took off.

I think there are a few things that have happened over the last 4 or so decades that have heavily influenced obesity rates:

1. The change in family dynamic. The traditional role was that the wife stayed at home and therefore she had time to cook. Now that more women are working, we just don't have the time to cook everything from scratch.

2. Appliances. We can now buy food that is pre-made and keep it for long periods, which generally means it will have preservatives, more sugar and salt than something we'd cook fresh.

3. Snacks. The interesting thing about the national food survey was that people didn't really snack until the late 60's/70's. Everyone I know would snack at least twice a day, but they still eat 3 full size meals a day too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Has anyone watched Back In Time For Dinner? Its been showing on the Lifestyle channel. They get a family to follow the diet of average britons from the 1940's onwards, one decade each week, based on the national food survey. I found it quite fascinating to see the evolution of our diet, and how it was influenced by technology and societal trends and how it effected lifestyle and family interactions.

For example, in the 1940's they didn't have a refrigerator or freezer, so most food was bought fresh, everything was cooked from scratch, but the wife (who of course generally didn't work outside the home) was basically chained to the kitchen!

Whereas by the 1970's they had a fridge & freezer and a lot of women were gaining employment. So convenience became more of a necessity and frozen foods, pre-made meals, and snack foods really took off.

I think there are a few things that have happened over the last 4 or so decades that have heavily influenced obesity rates:

1. The change in family dynamic. The traditional role was that the wife stayed at home and therefore she had time to cook. Now that more women are working, we just don't have the time to cook everything from scratch.

2. Appliances. We can now buy food that is pre-made and keep it for long periods, which generally means it will have preservatives, more sugar and salt than something we'd cook fresh.

3. Snacks. The interesting thing about the national food survey was that people didn't really snack until the late 60's/70's. Everyone I know would snack at least twice a day, but they still eat 3 full size meals a day too.
    I was reading a link for a book called 'The Obesity Epidemic' that claims there's a noticeable rise in the 80's after the US and UK changed their public health diet guidelines and put a larger emphasis on starchy foods being the main part of our diet. That plus all the reasons you listed is probably why we're facing an epidemic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

On the topic of snacks I really do think people eat too much. If you are eating 3 good quality filling meals a day you don't need to snack or only need a small amount in between IMO. In office settings I see people eat almost all day - morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and then they eat at their desks too. Ive worked at places where people had boxes of cereal on their desk and then had second breakfast when they got to work. Eating out of boredom is a big one. Sedentary desk jobs are the worst - people sit all day long and eat. In active jobs where people need to move and don't have time to eat all day, I wonder if overweight and obese people are harder to find.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 15-10-2015 at 06:25.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    On the topic of snacks I really do think people eat too much. If you are eating 3 good quality filling meals a day you don't need to snack or only need a small amount in between IMO. In office settings I see people eat almost all day - morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, and then they eat at their desks too. Ive worked at places where people had boxes of cereal on their desk and then had second breakfast when they got to work. Eating out of boredom is a big one. Sedentary desk jobs are the worst - people sit all day long and eat. In active jobs where people need to move and don't have time to eat all day, I wonder if overweight and obese people are harder to find.
    Yes! Sitting is now being reffered to as the new smoking.

http://www.openculture.com/2015/08/w...planation.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Pearlygirl  (15-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Yeps at my work the people working the wards/floor being very busy and walking around a lot are all relatively normal weights (maybe 3 out of 60 are overweight) but all of the managers have asses bigger than Kim Kardashian and are morbidly obese.

Conincidence....... I think not......
    At my work it's the opposite. A lot of overweight/obese people working on the floor while vast majority of the middle/top management is slim.

Regarding sitting, my friends working in large corporations in the CBD are now getting standing desks.
    I do walking meetings with my manager too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    At my work it's the opposite. A lot of overweight/obese people working on the floor while vast majority of the middle/top management is slim.

Regarding sitting, my friends working in large corporations in the CBD are now getting standing desks.
    I do walking meetings with my manager too.
    I'm interested to know what industry you're in, if you don't mind sharing?

We have a similar issue, but the people who work on their feet are surrounded by unhealthy food and drink all day! So that explains a lot for my company.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    I'm interested to know what industry you're in, if you don't mind sharing?

We have a similar issue, but the people who work on their feet are surrounded by unhealthy food and drink all day! So that explains a lot for my company.
    Manufacturing.
    It's true that the type of food offered by the canteen on the floor is large portion and quite unhealthy.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (15-10-2015)