+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I know the U.S. Can't control the labelling here but they won't be able to export to Australia the cr@p the stop producing 😉
    But that's still kind of saying America is somehow responsible for Australia when Australia is perfectly capable of passing it's own laws and initiatives to help tackle their part of the problem. Australia could stop allowing the imports of junk food...😉

I also view Australia's labeling allowances as them also being 'controlled' by big brands. If Australia cared more about the consumer than the company then the least they could do is ensure companies can't get around specifically labeling their ingredients, it's pretty ridiculous that they can.

Eta: also, let's not pretend that Australia doesn't have it's own junk food. Even if it's an internationally owned brand, many items are produced in Australia.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-10-2015 at 18:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh yes I know but I'm still convinced that the U.S. are leading the obesity revolution worldwide.

It started there then it contaminated all the English speaking/commonwealth countries.

Most of Europe (except UK) is far far behind and I put it against the lesser influence of the U.S. over there.

But yes I agree, lots of junk food made here and the portions are a joke. I always get a starter as a main in restaurants over here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it fascinating, and incredibly annoying, that people these days seem obsessed with the fad that is the "evil of sugar".
    Sure, I saw "That Sugar Film". But I also studied Biochemistry in my Medical Degree, and it isn't that simple. Additionally, population n = 1 in "That Sugar Film" is certainly not statistically exciting.
    But people are so dogmatic about it in 2015 (usually people with absolutely no medical or biochemistry background, who have no idea what the Citric Acid Cycle or glycolysis even is).
    I'm still of the belief that fat, protein, carbohydrates and vitamins/minerals need to be consumed in order for the simple circuitry of the body to function.
    As you were.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (14-10-2015),amyd  (15-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (14-10-2015),CazHazKidz  (14-10-2015),cheeeeesecake  (14-10-2015),delirium  (14-10-2015),DJ Nette  (14-10-2015),HappyBovinexx  (14-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (14-10-2015),yadot  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    I find it fascinating, and incredibly annoying, that people these days seem obsessed with the fad that is the "evil of sugar".
    Sure, I saw "That Sugar Film". But I also studied Biochemistry in my Medical Degree, and it isn't that simple. Additionally, population n = 1 in "That Sugar Film" is certainly not statistically exciting.
    But people are so dogmatic about it in 2015 (usually people with absolutely no medical or biochemistry background, who have no idea what the Citric Acid Cycle or glycolysis even is).
    I'm still of the belief that fat, protein, carbohydrates and vitamins/minerals need to be consumed in order for the simple circuitry of the body to function.
    As you were.

IQS and That Sugar Film reccomend that people reduce their intake of refined sugar to the levels recently reccomended by the WHO for 'additional health benefits' and to eat less processed food. So I'm not sure why, as a doctor, you find that annoying? Genuine question.
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 14-10-2015 at 19:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    IQS and That Sugar Film reccomend that people reduce their intake of refined sugar to the levels recently reccomended by the WHO for 'additional health benefits'. So I'm not sure why, as a doctor, you find that annoying? Genuine question.
    Reducing intake of refined sugar (and I emphasise refined) is admirable, and not the point of annoyance. It is the current mentality that the root of all dietary evil is sugar. Fad diets which are "ultra-low carbs", written by people who probably have no idea that fruit and vegetables are, in fact, carbohydrates.
    And please don't cite "That Sugar Film" as a reference. The study population was 1. There was very limited science behind this comedy-documentary. It was entertaining, but certainly not a randomised-controlled study with statistical significance.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (14-10-2015),cheeeeesecake  (14-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (14-10-2015),yadot  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That sugar movie was just the Australian version of Fed Up.

Fed up was much better, I recommend it 😁

I guess the war on sugar is actually the war on all "hidden" sugar. It's a little sad but most people don't read the composition of the process food they eat. They don't realise there is so much sugar in their cereals for instance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That sugar movie was just the Australian version of Fed Up.

Fed up was much better, I recommend it 😁

I guess the war on sugar is actually the war on all "hidden" sugar. It's a little sad but most people don't read the composition of the process food they eat. They don't realise there is so much sugar in their cereals for instance.
    I'm not a fan of cereal but took a trip down the cereal aisle one day. Every single product there had added sugars. Even rice bubbles - shouldn't they just be puffed rice? There's cheap puffed brown rice in the health food aisle but I bet more people are buying the sugar one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reducing intake of refined sugar (and I emphasise refined) is admirable, and not the point of annoyance. It is the current mentality that the root of all dietary evil is sugar. Fad diets which are "ultra-low carbs", written by people who probably have no idea that fruit and vegetables are, in fact, carbohydrates.
    And please don't cite "That Sugar Film" as a reference. The study population was 1. There was very limited science behind this comedy-documentary. It was entertaining, but certainly not a randomised-controlled study with statistical significance.
    I don't know anyone who thinks that That Sugar Film was a reliable & valid scientific experiment. The message that I personally got from this and other books/documentaries was that our refined sugar intake is out of control, that we consume far too much processed and convenience food and that we need to focus on eating more real food - lots of lean meat, whole veges, dairy, nuts, and whole fruit. I haven't read anything about eating ultra low carbs - I'm not sure if you're referring to a diffetent type of diet there?

The thing is, there have always been fad diets (lemon detox anyone??), and most of them have been dangerous and restrictive. I think that IQS, That Sugar Film, Sweet Poison, et al, have all opened people up to actually educating themselves more on what, how much, and why, they are eating what they're eating. And all encourage people to eat more real food, a variety of fresh foods...which isn't a bad thing at all...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I also believe that different people tend to be prone to weight loss from different sources. Mine is carbs. I love them so much, they make me feel full and content and are usually those Comfort foods. But they stack the weight on me, give me a tummy and once that initial full feeling is gone I feel yuck. It's not until I went to a low carb high fat diet that I realised how much bad carbs (and I mean potato, bread, milk, pasta as opposed to brown rice etc) did all these bad things to me. I also find this type of eating keeps me full from the protein and fat, so I don't binge then feel guilty then binge again. It's the only way I can have sustainable weight loss.

For others sugar is the devil. So it's important to remember that we process nutrients differently. Some are weak and tired on low carb, I'm the opposite, I feel amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As you were.

I haven't seen 'That Sugar Film' and agree that the results of any 'study' that are not published in a peer reviewed journal are baseless.

However I think refined sugar is a still a big problem in our society due to it's high calorie content and excess consumption by people who are not doing the amount of exercise required to use the calories.

I understand that this could be said about any food, however, sugar isn't very filling and refined sugar has very little (nil?) nutritional benefit so is a waste of calorie intake.

I'm not sure if I've articulated myself well here!