+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Watching it now! Think I missed the start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Fascinating stuff.

I hope people who have said to "just eat less" in this thread got a chance to watch.

I was out walking and watched it on iview but falling asleep do will watch the rest later.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to chime in on the whole obesity problem debate. I don't think it's just a question of personal responsibility, it's also largely a question of corporate responsibility. Food companies spend millions designing products to basically make them addictive. Their bottom line depends on people consuming more and more and more of their products. They do this by adding a lot of crap to the food but mostly it's about the sugar. They add sugar to everything because basically someone figured out that makes food taste good, it's cheap and it keeps people hooked. Now more than 80% of foods in our supermarket have added sugar. Then the companies that make these products turn around and blame consumers for eating their products when everything they do is about getting people to eat their products... Hello??!! We need to put a stop to this insanity. Sugar should not be an ingredient in most foods. It is something you have in a cake or biscuit now and then. Not in everything you eat. Of course people have a hard time just eating less! That's like telling someone who is addicted to tobacco to just smoke less cigarettes.

We are allowing big food companies to make huge profits poisoning people and we are all left with the bill. We need some form of government intervention just like with tobacco (ie a tax or levy on foods with added sugar). That money could be used for health, education, and subsidies for fresh produce. I think that's really the only way we'll see change.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (13-10-2015),ArthurDent  (13-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (13-10-2015),Blessedwith3boys  (14-10-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (13-10-2015),felicia81  (13-10-2015),Frankenmum  (13-10-2015),Ra Ra Superstar  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoralicious View Post
    Catalyst on ABC right now - on the science behind obesity.
    Missed it. I hope I can find it on replay.

I watched the Fed Up documentary and I nearly cried.
    This disease and what big food companies are doing is awful.
    How can they sleep at night 😡

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I have a feeling my thoughts on this aren't being well received, so I'll bow out. But before I do, I want to clarify the point I'm trying to make.

I think there are a multitude of factors that contribute to why people are overweight or obese, but that these factors are behind the fundamental reason why people are overweight; making poor food choices and eating too much. I think it's a small cohort of people who eat healthy and nutritious food, eat portion sizes appropriate for their height and are physically active but are still obese because of a physiological reason over which they have zero control.

My premise is that the emotional eating/boredom/lack of education/ignorance/good marketing etc are all behind the basic reason why people are overweight or obese and that is because they eat the wrong food and too much of it. I'm saying the physiology behind weight gain is simple, not the factors that lead to the behaviour. But I maintain that these factors are able to be controlled. And yes, in some cases, it's going to be incredibly hard to do so. But there are also just people who eat a lot and eat the wrong thing and don't exercise and there aren't any reasons behind why, they just do because they can.

It's clear in my head what I'm trying to say but perhaps I'm not articulating myself. I'm not out to deride people with weight issues or preach that it's just about swapping a burger for salad. But I do think that for the majority (I'm guessing) of people, there is something that can be done to change the behaviour, and the physiological response of weight loss will follow.

My apologies to anyone to whom I've cause offence.
    Totally agree with this post. Yes in most cases energy in v energy out is behind weight issues. And yes there are a range of secondary factors behind why people's energy in V energy out may be out of whack.

I think there are sensitivities involved because (as with any other parenting issue here on BH) people don't like to be made to feel like their actions (or lack of) are the cause of something negative in their life.

I am guessing I'm about 15-20kg off my idea healthy weight. Some days I think "something must be going on - I exercise 6 days per week yet it makes no difference. And I don't eat that bad." Then I think "hang on. I probably eat faaarrrrrrrr too much. I really need to trim back my portion size.

I'm not going to be too hard on myself - it's hard to organise perfectly balanced and portioned meals for myself when I'm working full time and looking after a house and 2 kids. At the same time - yup it's my fault and I really need to pull my finger out.. One day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Energy in vs energy out might be true so long as the energy in isn't overloaded by sugar.

Not all calories are equal.

But if you stay away from processed food, soft drinks and fruit juices then you'll be fine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Energy in vs energy out might be true so long as the energy in isn't overloaded by sugar.

Not all calories are equal.

But if you stay away from processed food, soft drinks and fruit juices then you'll be fine!!
    Yeah I guess it comes down to what nutritionists have being saying all along!

The hard part is changing people's habits. Ban on advertising of crap food; plain packaging and warning labels for soft drink, chips, lollies, etc (like cigarettes); radio/TV campaigns on healthy eating; education in schools; state sponsored healthy cooking classes and/or TV shows (?); nutritional panels on alcohol products (same as food)...

Ha - I'd love to work in this field. I haven't been this passionate about anything in a long time. (Aside from DP and DD of course 😋).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My mum was seeing a nutritionist back in the 90s and she was totally advised to have orange juice in the morning... That was supposed to count for a piece of fruit!

😕

It's really the U.S. that need to reign in their big food companies but politicians shy away from it as there's big dollars involved.
    So it needs to come from citizens, put the pressure back onto their politicians.

I will write to my local MP and ask what's being done to protect our kids here.
    We could start with a ban on food advertising when kids are in front of the TV. Advertising is nasty especially on young brains.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    My mum was seeing a nutritionist back in the 90s and she was totally advised to have orange juice in the morning... That was supposed to count for a piece of fruit!

😕

It's really the U.S. that need to reign in their big food companies but politicians shy away from it as there's big dollars involved.
    So it needs to come from citizens, put the pressure back onto their politicians.

I will write to my local MP and ask what's being done to protect our kids here.
    We could start with a ban on food advertising when kids are in front of the TV. Advertising is nasty especially on young brains.
    The States actually have stricter labeling rules than Australia though, you can't get away with calling something a completely different name in the ingredients list like you can in OZ. NY has implemented rules on soft drinks and our largest Native American nation has implemented a junk food tax so steps are actually starting to be taken ☺️

The US can't control how Australia allows branding and labeling.

ETA: http://www.aafp.org/news/obesity/201...itiatives.html
    This is a link regarding the Surgeon General's report on the States problem with obesity and getting the government involved, we already have a few government initiatives to try and change the culture. The CDC (center for disease control) also has initiatives to help fight childhood obesity.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 14-10-2015 at 16:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know the U.S. Can't control the labelling here but they won't be able to export to Australia the cr@p the stop producing 😉
    Attached Images