+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I quit sugar a few months ago now and I constantly have people rolling their eyes at me when I refuse cake/sweets/soft drink or when I say that I don't eat refined sugar. Usually followed by comments like "there's nothing wrong with sugar" or "just once won't hurt" or "but it's a special occasion!". And when I say that I really just don't enjoy that food anymore, that it actually makes me feel ill if I eat it, I get accused of taking it all too seriously and suggestions that I have some sort of eating disorder!

The amount of negativity and peer pressure I get about it is ridiculous!

But I'm sure that when people first started coming out saying that smoking was bad for you, they probably got a similar reaction. Big food businesses are currently reacting to the anti-sugar movement in the same way that tobacco companies reacted to the anti-smoking movement!

I reckon we give it 10 years and the whole jerf (just eat real food), lchf, iqs movement will no longer be a movement - it will be main******.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-10-2015),felicia81  (13-10-2015),NoteToSelf  (13-10-2015),wobbleyhorse  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

I'm speculating here, but I get the impression that a lot of people who think that people should "just eat less" are naturally slim like my sister. I have to work hard and eat well to not put on weight. My sister can eat cakes for breakfast and live on Coke and be a size 6/8 all her life. I don't drink Coke.

I also wonder if people who think that overweight people should just "take a good look in the mirror" would tell an anorexic person to "just eat more"

Majority of overweight people would look in the mirror and hate what they see. Would hate buying clothes in the fat people section. Probably hate shopping altogether.

This popped up in my newsfeed and I thought it was interesting.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/13...m.facebook.com

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I've never really thought about this but I think you're absolutely spot on. We are inundated with opportunities to consume calories. Meeting friends for coffee, people bringing a plate for a play date, someone's birthday at work, someone baking and bringing things into the office to share, etc. I do my Saturday shifts with a guy who always stops to get us half a dozen jam donuts for the day. It's extremely hard to say no because it's rude, or people think you're weird or have some hang up about food if you say no.
    I'm finding the same is happening with the kids- people always want to give them treats and you feel like a weirdo for always saying 'please, don't' because it's constant. I would say at least 2/3 of social interaction involves being offered food or drink- and not the healthy stuff! The only explanation people understand is 'I'm watching my calories at the moment' because you do, constantly, whether you call it dieting or not, we all have to constantly refuse food.
    I think this post is really good as well. I'm not usually one for giving much credit to news.com but this article I thought was super interesting. I think people really underestimate the calories, sugar and fat in the coffee date treats we consume.

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227566566719

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm speculating here, but I get the impression that a lot of people who think that people should "just eat less" are naturally slim like my sister. I have to work hard and eat well to not put on weight. My sister can eat cakes for breakfast and live on Coke and be a size 6/8 all her life. I don't drink Coke.

I also wonder if people who think that overweight people should just "take a good look in the mirror" would tell an anorexic person to "just eat more"

Majority of overweight people would look in the mirror and hate what they see. Would hate buying clothes in the fat people section. Probably hate shopping altogether.

You're probably a million times healthier than your sister.

I am one of those naturally slim people (although I have a good diet and do exercise).

I'm following this thread in depth because I want to understand why our country has become so overweight and therefore how we can start to fix it.

My sister in law and her family and very overweight. All I've ever seen them eat is crap washed down with soft drink. Her kids are huge. She's the type of mum how loves her kids more than anything, she'd move heaven and earth for them, do anything for them - except feed them decent food! Why is this? I just don't know. It's heartbreaking, her kids will probably die young after watching their parents die young.

I'm sorry if any of my posts have caused offence to anyone. I really just want to understand this issue more.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

I'm not anorexic but have been underweight all my life and yes people think it's perfectly acceptable to tell me to eat more and mix in a burger to put weight on. As unhelpful as being told to put down the fork I can assure you.

I hate clothes shopping, some genius designer figured if you are a size 6 you can't possible be 5"8 and that you'd have big b00bs which I'm an a cup!

It's no fun being underweight either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I'm not anorexic but have been underweight all my life and yes people think it's perfectly acceptable to tell me to eat more and mix in a burger to put weight on. As unhelpful as being told to put down the fork I can assure you.

I hate clothes shopping, some genius designer figured if you are a size 6 you can't possible be 5"8 and that you'd have big b00bs which I'm an a cup!

It's no fun being underweight either.
    I think though there is a difference between anorexic and starving yourself, which they are saying in that story is actually a habit much like over eating would be, and being naturally thin.

My DH was quite thin until he got older and his metabolism slowed. His whole family are greyhounds. Tall, thin and can eat whatever they want and not gain. I know as a young man my DH had some awful comments directed at him like that he was a drug user. So I do get the other side of the coin. (I'm jealous of you though I'm like BigRed, I only have to look at food and gain since I had kids).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm sorry if any of my posts have caused offence to anyone. I really just want to understand this issue more.
    Nope, I have enjoyed your posts and open mind

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm genuinely interested about what those who think people can't be expected to 'put the fork down' ( those with a diagnosed ED who need psychiatric treatment aside) think needs to happen?

Some kind of state involvement? Because thinking about the school lunchbox policy thread doesn't make me think people are on the whole too keen on the state telling them what to eat.

I'm not without empathy to what a PITA it is to restrict the amount and type of food and incorporate exercise, I do all those things. I'd much rather not but its not an option for me.

But I still think individuals are responsible for their own weight.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    But you are seeing this with an all or nothing mentality. Either you take ownership and stop eating or you just make excuses. I believe the answer is both. People don't need to have an ED to have context behind why they are fat.

Yes, people need to take ownership. Yes I agree the crux of most obesity is too much crap and not enough exercise. But in order for a person to do that they need to get to the root of why they overeat.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (13-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (13-10-2015),VicPark  (14-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The idea of obesity being only about self control is so simplistic.It's also, I think, where the judgement comes from.
    If the solution is simply to 'control yourself', then those who are overweight are just gluttons. They could choose to be healthier, which would benefit themselves and society, but they don't. Therefore they deserveto be judged.
    It's bull****!

We are human. Our brains and our bodies have evolved to work in certain ways which are very difficult to overcome. Our culture, our habits, our expectations and our reward systems are very strongly 'wired' by the time we're adults. It's not as simple as just making a choice, but figuring out how to overcome all sorts of psychological and physiological barriers to change.

That's a huge undertaking...and one bound for failure in the majority of cases if you see it as simply an individual's problem. Obesity isn't a problem because we have a whole lot of people who are 'sub-par'; who lack adequate self control... it's a problem because we've created a society which, as a whole, nurtures obesity. It's a problem that needs to be addressed on that level if we're going to have any success.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (13-10-2015),CazHazKidz  (13-10-2015),delirium  (13-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (13-10-2015)