+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I think it's because it forces people to consider their own diet and they feel attacked in some way, as if there's an inference that anyone who does drink Coke is making a bad choice or that you're judging them.
    Huh, that never occurred to me.

I never thought that my friend who was doing the HCG protocol was judging me because I wasn't or all the people at work who drink diet coke were judging me because I drink normal come. I didn't realise people thought like that.

I'm the only person I know who drinks Coke like me, it's always been a bit of a joke, I thought people would be supportive!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I agree Caz, when I've said I'm doing IQS to give up Coke people keep saying 'you don't need to','it's your only vice, I'm sure it's fine' etc.

I wonder what their motivation is to say that, I'm trying to make changes for the good of my health, I don't know if that makes some people uncomfortable or if they genuinely think that drinking Coke every day is fine for my health.
    I think it's because when someone tells a friend they are trying to lose weight, if the friend does not say 'oh you don't need to lose weight' then the friend is admitting that they think the person is overweight and in our (stupid) society that seems to be such an insult.

We should aim for responses along the lines of 'hey that's great, if you want an exercise buddy we could go for a walk next weekend' or 'cool, I'll be sure to cook something healthy next time you're over for dinner'.

We would never say to a friend who is trying to quit smoking that they didn't need to quit!!!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (12-10-2015),Frankenmum  (12-10-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (12-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (12-10-2015),Moxy  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Huh, that never occurred to me.

I never thought that my friend who was doing the HCG protocol was judging me because I wasn't or all the people at work who drink diet coke were judging me because I drink normal come. I didn't realise people thought like that.

I'm the only person I know who drinks Coke like me, it's always been a bit of a joke, I thought people would be supportive!
    That's how I think, projecting my own issues onto things other people are doing or saying and taking it personally even though rationally I know it's not the case. Because you are petite, people (like me) kind of take the idea of why is someone like *you* worrying about your weight and what do you think about me and my weight and what I eat and you must think I'm a fatty boom bah if you're that slim and think you're putting on weight and good lord pass me a Tim Tam.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I think it's because when someone tells a friend they are trying to lose weight, if the friend does not say 'oh you don't need to lose weight' then the friend is admitting that they think the person is overweight and in our (stupid) society that seems to be such an insult.

We should aim for responses along the lines of 'hey that's great, if you want an exercise buddy we could go for a walk next weekend' or 'cool, I'll be sure to cook something healthy next time you're over for dinner'.

We would never say to a friend who is trying to quit smoking that they didn't need to quit!!!
    I think this is an awesome point. I have a good friend who is about 10 kilos overweight and she always bangs on about needing to lose it and I always give a half hearted sense of support but then she says she can't be bothered because she's happy with how she looks and I'm all "yeah, absolutely, you go girl!". Yet I bust her ar$e about quitting smoking.

To be clear, I do think she looks great and she carries the weight well. But she's one of the huge number of the population who area overweight and I guess it's increasing her risk of related illnesses. But I could and would never, ever, ever say that or agree with her when she says she needs to lose weight. Not ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have only read the last few replies and totally agree with them all. I think as a society we're so obsessed with food and health and there is so much conflicting info out there, I genuinely think many overweight or obese people find it all too hard to sift through and hence get stuck in a viscous cycle. I think for really obese people food is an addiction but all these diets etc don't help in the long term, it's a mental issue that needs addressing - the physical comes later.

I struggled with body issues from the age of 5 (yes!! 5!!), due to a very body-conscious ballet teacher that told us all to watch what we eat from a ridiculously young age (or we would get fat and nobody likes a fat ballerina! I can still hear her voice in my head). I have come to terms with it by focussing on health and not weight, but still have days where my body issues creep up.

These days there is even more emphasis on weight and diet in media etc than ever before. I truly feel sorry for the kids growing up amongst it, they probably hate themselves.

I hate it when people comment I am too healthy or anal about what I eat. I have all sorts of people telling me to relax as I am pregnant and need to eat for 2 etc (load of crap!). I think they are seeing it as some kind of sub-conscious attack on them for not eating healthier/doing enough exercise. I get paid out on at work because I refuse to partake in cake days and have salad rather than burgers for lunch. Does it make those people feel better to put a smaller, healthier person down?

I think we should stop placing so much emphasis on weight and diets and just all try to be healthy (mentally and physically) and not judge each other. In a perfect world, lol.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And here's another example of how terrible food labeling is;

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227566326678

The new and improved nutri-grain now has a 4 stat health rating. But reading the info on that box it still has 26% sugar?!? If you ate a bowl of that for breakfast it's a quarter of a bowl of sugar! How does that get a four star rating?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-10-2015),Frankenmum  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    And here's another example of how terrible food labeling is;

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227566326678

The new and improved nutri-grain now has a 4 stat health rating. But reading the info on that box it still has 26% sugar?!? If you ate a bowl of that for breakfast it's a quarter of a bowl of sugar! How does that get a four star rating?
    I know, it's such utter crap. Cereals are the worst offenders IMO in terms of farcical claims. The star system is based on other products in its category so comparing it to Froot Loops or Frosties or other cereals even higher in sugar, it rates OK. But compare it to oats or wholegrain bread or plain bran and frankly, it's a box of crap.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

That's how I think, projecting my own issues onto things other people are doing or saying and taking it personally even though rationally I know it's not the case. Because you are petite, people (like me) kind of take the idea of why is someone like *you* worrying about your weight and what do you think about me and my weight and what I eat and you must think I'm a fatty boom bah if you're that slim and think you're putting on weight and good lord pass me a Tim Tam.

I don't think anything! If you are sitting in front of me eating Tim Tams complaining about your weight I'd say ' hey I'm doing this thing do you want to do it too?'

Otherwise I just think everyone's on a different journey. I've made so many changes this year since Mum got diagnosed with breast cancer, wanting to know why it might have happened and what I can do to reduce my risk. I never once thought other people should be doing what I'm doing.

It also annoys me a but that it's not socially acceptable for a slim person to be concerned about their weight, it's OK for me to put effort in to making sure I stay that way.

addit. I'm judgemental when people feed their kids crap though. I know a couple of people who are really into healthy eating, losing weight etc but they fill their kids lunch boxes with sugary crap that I know they know better about.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 12-10-2015 at 16:52.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anything! If you are sitting in front of me eating Tim Tams complaining about your weight I'd say ' hey I'm doing this thing do you want to do it too?'

Otherwise I just think everyone's on a different journey. I've made so many changes this year since Mum got diagnosed with breast cancer, wanting to know why it might have happened and what I can do to reduce my risk. I never once thought other people should be doing what I'm doing.

It also annoys me a but that it's not socially acceptable for a slim person to be concerned about their weight, it's OK for me to put effort in to making sure I stay that way.
    I know you're not, but it's that forced self reflection and some people irrationally perceive it as an attack, even though it's not, you know? It's hard to explain. For me it's tied to self esteem issues and feeling like I'm being judged on how I look all the time, even though I'm sure people have much better things to do with their time than take any notice. It's not rational and a lot of the time it's an unconscious reaction. But it's definitely how my brain works. It's exhausting

I agree, making healthy lifestyle choices shouldn't be limited to a certain cohort of people. Being slim isn't a free pass to eat crap and make poor food choices.

Though it certainly allows a little more freedom when it comes to Tim Tams.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you're not, but it's that forced self reflection and some people irrationally perceive it as an attack, even though it's not, you know? It's hard to explain. For me it's tied to self esteem issues and feeling like I'm being judged on how I look all the time, even though I'm sure people have much better things to do with their time than take any notice. It's not rational and a lot of the time it's an unconscious reaction. But it's definitely how my brain works. It's exhausting

I agree, making healthy lifestyle choices shouldn't be limited to a certain cohort of people. Being slim isn't a free pass to eat crap and make poor food choices.

Though it certainly allows a little more freedom when it comes to Tim Tams.....
    The free pass to eat as many Tim Tams as I wanted expired when I hit 35!

I appreciate the insight, it honestly never occurred to me that my lifestyle journey might make others feel bad about theirs. It's made me wary about sharing now.