+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Broad brushing obesity as a disease, with deep roots, that needs government response and shows like TBL make it seem like it's out of people's hands, too hard basket, let's just eat ourselves and let our kids eat themselves into an early grave.

Self determination, taking responsibility and doing the hard yards are possible for many overweight and obese people. Not everyone who makes poor dietary and exercise choices needs a label as diseased.

Yes, there are a portion of people who have medications or a medical reason, who have an ED, who are uneducated. But this is not the whole population, we can and should take responsibility for ourselves, at the end of the day it's still going to require the same process, denying yourself food you want, making time to exercise and being consistent.

There was a thread a while ago about schools making rules around what food can be sent in lunch boxes and many people were outraged feeling they should be able to send what they want, that treats were their choice and not a problem, that their child only at x, that they had no time to make food. This is an example of a program that is attempting to improve the food kids eat at school and people get up in arms about it. And yet when we are discussing obesity it's all, it's a disease, you can't just tell people to eat less, there needs to be a government response (which I think there does along the lines of a sugar tax and education in schools).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes self determination and taking responsibility are needed. But *why* do they make bad food choices? *Why* do they emotionally eat? Why do they have no self control? This is where I am coming from. It's all well and good to say 'have some self control, stop eating and get on the treadmill'. But it's ignoring the why's.

Most people who know a heroin addict would know that saying 'just stop using' is too simplistic. And also the whole reason they used to begin with often stemmed from different issues. A girl that is a self harmer - most know it's not as simple as telling her to put down the blade and stop cutting. Obviously that's what she needs to do - stop cutting herself. But without getting into why she does it, she's never going to stop.

People don't just eat themselves to death for no reason. And I'm not talking about the mum that gained 10kg while pg and took 3 years to shift it. I'm talking about severe obesity that is draining the medical system and killing people.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies

I'm jumping on this a bit late but did anyone read this article? Study is linked within.

Apparently it is harder to maintain weight than previously. Not sure it's an "excuse" but something to keep in mind.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-1980s/407974/

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

@delirium, absolutely, but this issue is not about extremes, yes the super obese obviously can't just say 'eat less' but they are not the majority, they are the pointy end.

And like the heroin addict and cutter, who have to take ownership of their issue and seek help to get better, the same responsibility lies with people who need help to lose weight.

There's a whole spectrum of overweight and obese people who are still at increased risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease and lifestyle related cancers who are costing the health system.
    I'm sure most of these people are overweight because sugary food tastes good and exercise is a PITA.

I really think focusing on either of the pointy ends is unhelpful (wether severely underweight or overweight). It clouds the fact that we all have a responsibility to be mindful of our food and activity levels and that of our children.

I'm currently in the process of quitting Coke, using the IQS program to do so. There's no 'why'. I drink Coke because it tastes delicious and I love it. I'm not drinking away a trauma. I'm stopping because I can no longer ignore the fact it's causing me to gain weight and increasing my risk of diabetes, dementia and cancer.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 12-10-2015 at 09:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *Why* do I make bad food choices? - Habit, and lack of knowledge about what I can buy instead that's healthy and satisfying, that costs no more than what I currently eat.

*Why* do I emotionally eat? I don't, but I do seem to do it quite a bit without even thinking about it. By the time I've had time to think about it, I've already gone and gotten the food out of the fridge or cupboard and eaten it.

*Why* do I have no self control? No idea. I've just always been that way, even when I was a kid. There was no particular event or series of events in my life that made me that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    *Why* do people make bad food choices?

Honestly, I think that in some cases they don't realise they are making bad choices. There are so many foods out there marketed as "health" foods (cereals, muesli bars, low-fat yoghurt, etc) that are actually loaded with sugar.

Until recently I fell just into the high end of the normal weight range, focusing on what I thought was a healthy diet i.e. no soft drinks/fruit juices, fast food, takeaways, limited sweets, etc. I then read IQS, That Sugar Book and Eat Real Food, and became acutely aware of all the mistakes I was making food-wise and why it was so difficult to shift the kgs I wanted to lose.

I've changed my diet and subsequently lost about 5kgs. BUT this has taken a lot of extra time in terms of being prepared with good ingredients and making foods that would be much easier to buy from the supermarket. It takes a big commitment and while it's definitely worth it for the health considerations, I would have been none the wiser had I not read those books. I would have carried on my merry way. So many people would fall into that category.

So many people also shy away from the effort that's required. And I can definitely understand that - I have a 1yo and work full time and sometimes I just don't feel like preparing food for myself. I'm not saying that's OK or making excuses, I'm just saying that I do get it.

Heart disease and type II diabetes are not just for the overweight and obese. Even if you're in a healthy weight range, if you're eating the wrong foods, then you're still at risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't responded yet and skipped the last few pages of replies, but just wanted to weigh in on the whole perception of health thing. I totally get where the article is coming from. I have people telling me CONSTANTLY to stop exercising so much, stop refusing to eat bad things and just eat what I want because I "look fine". My BMI is fine yes, But I am a food addict. I eat very very poorly. I keep my exercise up, and I go through stages where I really go hard and eat perfectly and ramp up the exercise, and this is the ONLY reason my weight has not gone out of control.
    I'm currently 30 weeks pregnant, and am disgusted with myself with the amount of body fat I've put on - not weight, but BODY FAT. That's the difference. I don't care about my weight. I care about the amount of fat I'm carrying on my body, and the food that's going in my mouth. The way I've been eating this pregnancy is disgusting, and not good for me or baby, but because I'm not obese, I have nobody to keep me in check, and if I dare say "no, I don't look great, I've put on way too much body fat, and i'm eating very badly and have cut back on my exercise WAY too much" I have eyes rolled at me.
    I can even tell people the things I have eaten, atrocious awful insane amounts of food for one person to eat, and people will just laugh and say it's fine, I'm feeding 2 people, eat what you want while you can etc etc.
    I do think that this is a big part of the reason why there are so many overweight people. I'm not saying fat shaming is ok, at all. But when someone that IS becoming overweight (and I am, regardless of what anyone says) is constantly told that they're fine and they don't need to make any changes, it's so easy to just go yeah ok. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
    I know I'm fully responsible for myself, and I can't blame anyone else for the way I eat and when I don't exercise it's on me, but my personality type struggles to push myself without support. You get the super fit people who don't care, and you get the overweight people who don't care, and then there's people like me, who constantly yoyo between extremely fit, average fitness, and bordering overweight, who really struggle to stay in that safe zone.

oops sorry huge rant. Doubt any of that even made sense, sorry!
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 12-10-2015 at 15:15.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree Caz, when I've said I'm doing IQS to give up Coke people keep saying 'you don't need to','it's your only vice, I'm sure it's fine' etc.

I wonder what their motivation is to say that, I'm trying to make changes for the good of my health, I don't know if that makes some people uncomfortable or if they genuinely think that drinking Coke every day is fine for my health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I agree Caz, when I've said I'm doing IQS to give up Coke people keep saying 'you don't need to','it's your only vice, I'm sure it's fine' etc.

I wonder what their motivation is to say that, I'm trying to make changes for the good of my health, I don't know if that makes some people uncomfortable or if they genuinely think that drinking Coke every day is fine for my health.
    I think it's because it forces people to consider their own diet and they feel attacked in some way, as if there's an inference that anyone who does drink Coke is making a bad choice or that you're judging them.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (12-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder if we are so bombarded by health & diet fads,people get confused about what IS healthy eating these days. Paleo,LCHF, IQS, VLCD, Atkins, meal replacements,high protein, vegan, to mention a few, let alone how confusing the heart tick can be, controversy around the food pyramid, confusing traffic light systems in some state schools.... maybe its not a lack of education, maybe its too much confusing and conflicting information.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

almai  (12-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (12-10-2015),Frankenmum  (12-10-2015),Moxy  (12-10-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-10-2015)