+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I gained from clomid for 9 cycles. Although my 15kg weight gain before DS2 was mainly from depression resulting from infertility and m/c. So maybe it isn't just the drugs but the state of mind women are in by the time they end up in IVF.

I'm sure I'll be told I'm making excuses for myself but that's why I gained the weight. I ate my pain. I know it sounds cliched but it really is true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I wonder at two things that may affect obesity, genetics and women talking fertility drugs, especially those with pcos.

There seem to be more and more women undertaking IVF and other fertility treatment and for a lot, this adversely effects weight. I know for me it does because I'd be pushing obese, yet I spent a good part of 8 months living in 1200 calories a day, working out with weights and cardio, very clean living and almost zero sugar, yet I cannot loose more than 1-2 kg's. Even my personal trainer who scrutinises my diet, where I log e every bite, can't work it out. Calories in calories out, just doesn't work. I know quite a few women in the same boat, working their hearts out at the gym, eating clean yet hormones from PCOS or IVF meds wreak havoc on their weight.

I also do think some people are simply pre disposed to not store extra weight. I have a couple of friends, have never seen a gym, eat a normal diet but indulge in wine/cake/ice cream when they want and are still a size 8.

So I do think that some people especially women, are predisposed to be overweight or they have to work so hard to loose it.
    I'm going to preface this by saying I'm not medically trained or in any way a voice of authority on genetics or fertility.

Of women who give birth in Australia, the number of reproductive assisted births is around 3-4%*. That's a tiny cohort of a very large population where almost 2/3rds of adults are overweight or obese*. Any effect fertility drugs are having is minimal in terms of the overall impact on the number of people who are overweight or obese.

As for genetics, given the obesity/overweight statistics have risen dramatically in the last decade or so, rather than over a period of generations, I'm not sure we can point the finger too quickly there either.

The fact is, we're more sedentary than ever, we have technology that has replaced so much of what we used to do manually and an abundance of packaged food that is filled with crap and presents itself as a portion when very often it's two or more serves.

My son came home and asked why I stopped buying sultana bran when it has a tick on it (heart foundation approved). He has been told at kinder that "ticked" food is good for you. I had to explain to him that the tick means jack. Things like fruit and veggies don't have ticks, neither does plain yogurt, canned chickpeas, dried lentils or tinned tomatoes. Yet all these things are far more nutritious than pre packaged meals and cereals that are high in sugar. Things like the tick and other farcical claims on food like "99% fat free" and having essential minerals (looking at you coco pops) are misleading and partly to blame. But only partly.

* these are not made up statistics, they're on the website for Australian Institute of Health and Welfare which is a government website with data pulled from the ABS.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

babyla  (12-10-2015),babyno1onboard  (11-10-2015),misskittyfantastico  (11-10-2015),NoteToSelf  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    There is no doubt a chunk of obesity is from simple lack of exercise and eating poorly/too much. I'm not going to argue that is a huge issue.

But I feel uncomfortable with people telling others that every reason is an excuse beyond the above. Yes only a small percentage of women utililise IVF. So a small percentage would gain from IVF/fertility drugs. But when you factor in emotional eating (that's me), people that genuinely lack healthy eating knowledge, lack of finances, poor mental health, thyroid issues, the media and selling fast food etc etc that makes up a semi-sizable chunk too. Bottom line is all those reasons beyond maybe the IVF drugs could be avoided but these are the reasons some people gain. It's not excuses, it's an explanation.

If we really want to solve the epidemic, we need to move beyond the 'you're fat bc you eat too much' mantra and start seeing all the complexities here. Of course, for some that's the answer - stop eating so much. But I think there's quite a one dimensional and honestly, a very judgmental view to why the world has this issue.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-10-2015),PomPoms  (11-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    There is no doubt a chunk of obesity is from simple lack of exercise and eating poorly/too much. I'm not going to argue that is a huge issue.

But I feel uncomfortable with people telling others that every reason is an excuse beyond the above. Yes only a small percentage of women utililise IVF. So a small percentage would gain from IVF/fertility drugs. But when you factor in emotional eating (that's me), people that genuinely lack healthy eating knowledge, lack of finances, poor mental health, thyroid issues, the media and selling fast food etc etc that makes up a semi-sizable chunk too. Bottom line is all those reasons beyond maybe the IVF drugs could be avoided but these are the reasons some people gain. It's not excuses, it's an explanation.

If we really want to solve the epidemic, we need to move beyond the 'you're fat bc you eat too much' mantra and start seeing all the complexities here. Of course, for some that's the answer - stop eating so much. But I think there's quite a one dimensional and honestly, a very judgmental view to why the world has this issue.
    I agree with this.

Most people (not all) who are overweight are such because they eat too much, eat crap and/or don't do enough exercise. There's no point just saying that these people need to change. We need to understand why they behave like this and fix the root cause of the issue. Relying purely on people's willpower isn't going to fix this country's problems.

Jamie Oliver has done wonders in the UK with education on healthy eating, teaching people what they should be eating and how to prepare it quickly and cheaply. This type of stuff should be taught in Australian schools. It is so important.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (12-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

Obesity is now considered a disease by American medical board.

Of course obesity is generally from eating too much and not exercising. But to say that people just need to eat less and exercise is too simplistic.

If you've ever watched the biggest loser, you will know that the problem goes much deeper. The trainers on there need to dig and find out what has triggered their addiction to food and how to combat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

I agree with what you've written and I'm not setting out to simplify the situation nor judge anyone with weight issues. As I've said previously, I've been overweight and my relationship with food is bloody terrible. Emotional eating is something I can 100% understand because I do it. My point is, however you cut it, for the most part the obesity crisis exists because on the whole, we eat too much, we eat the wrong things and we don't move enough. Yes, there are people who have illnesses or other factors which impact their weight, but surely this has always been the case. Two thirds of adults are overweight or obese. Two thirds. That is an enormous proportion of society. That's an epidemic and one that needs to be addressed. And the points you make about education, food knowlege etc are absolutely key. But they still lead back to the basic premise of eating too much of the wrong thing.

In my previous post I also said that food marketing has a lot to answer for. When sugar laden or sweetener filled yoghurt with a whole bunch of added crap gets a heart foundation tick over plain, natural, yoghurt with zero additives, then something is very wrong. And it contributes to people making poor choices. But at the very core, it's the decisions adults are making that are impacting their weight and the weight of their children, for the most part. I can never understand how people can think frozen pizza is a better alternative to a chicken breast and salad or that a roll-up in a lunchbox is better than a piece of fruit. That's not to say I deride anyone who does, I just don't understand it. I think rather than looking at factors that drive weight gain as "excuses" that we look at them as "reasons". And again, however you cut it, adults for the most part are capable of taking responsibility for their health and the health of their kids and addressing these reasons. Yes, it's hard. I saw a psych for over a year to help with my ED and emotional eating. It helped only a tiny bit and it's something I battle with every single day, so I know the psychological part is bloody hard. But that doesn't mean it's out of people's control.

I've also said I'm not medically trained. This thread has got me wondering about the cause and effect of things like thyroid illnesses and weight. But I'm not going to speculate further because I really don't have any idea. I just wanted to put it out there in case there is anyone who does know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Obesity is now considered a disease by American medical board.

Of course obesity is generally from eating too much and not exercising. But to say that people just need to eat less and exercise is too simplistic.

If you've ever watched the biggest loser, you will know that the problem goes much deeper. The trainers on there need to dig and find out what has triggered their addiction to food and how to combat it.
    I used to watch the biggest loser. Probably one of the worst shows on television to address the obesity crisis. The workouts make the contestants vomit, the weight loss is manipulated to show huge losses every week which is unrealistic, the humiliation is appalling and the tabloid stories in the months or years afterwards show how many of them put the weight back on because they couldn't maintain it. It is off putting and sets people up for failure when they embark on weight loss in real life. Who would be lured to a gym when they have in their head that they will be working out until the vomit? Not me, that's for sure. And when you step on the scales and see a 300g loss in a week instead of 8kgs as shown on TBL, then yeah, that's going to be pretty demoralising. Add the idea that weight loss involves being humiliated or embarrassed along with the idea that it's probably all going to be gained back again so what's the point, then I can't see how TBL is positive in any way at all. Yes, it shows the psychological underlying reasons why *some* people are overweight. But that's about all it has going for it IMO.

I'll add that I loathe all reality television so my opinion was never going to be favourable. Reality television is to the mind what junk food is to the body. But that's another thread 😉

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't watch it either for reasons you have said, but I have in the past. My point is that if you have watched it, then you will see that weight issues and food addiction is a deep psychological problem and to tell people to just eat less as some have in this thread and the other one is much easier said than done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't watch it either for reasons you have said, but I have in the past. My point is that if you have watched it, then you will see that weight issues and food addiction is a deep psychological problem and to tell people to just eat less as some have in this thread and the other one is much easier said than done.
    I hope that's not how my posts are coming across. I don't think the answer is simply saying eat less. The point I'm trying to make is that the crux of the problem is that we eat too much, regardless of the reasons why. I'm not suggesting that those reasons don't exist, simply that they pretty much all lead back to the same thing. I do however think that being a complex issue doesn't preclude it from being one that we have control over.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I'm not confident in my answer but I would have called 3 & 4 normal weight, 5 overweight and 6 + obese. 1 & 2 appear underweight to me. I think it's important to remember weight issues exist at both ends of the scale.
    This