+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 296
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,211
    Thanks
    3,645
    Thanked
    3,454
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Bc they are so deeply linked? I haven't seen this topic discussed in ages so I don't know if it's every conversation.

    I don't understand why people are becoming so rude and aggressive at others pointing it out? I wonder if maybe the notion that thin people can be just as disordered in their thinking over food and weight may make some uncomfortable.
    I'll raise my hand and admit I've had an eating disorder. It was never extreme to where anyone would notice I had really lost weight, or even noticed I really did it, but I used to binge and purge daily for about a year when I was 21/22. I actually think I will always have an eating disorder because although it doesn't affect my day to day life anymore I think about once a year I'll eat too much and think the answer is throwing it up to make myself feel better and avoid putting on those calories.

    I grew up with a mom who was OCD about her weight and fitness, I'm not exaggerating, she actually had OCD and it came out through cleaning and exercising/being obsessed with what she ate. She used to make my 'chubby' older sister exercise and diet, that sister is now obese/morbidly obese. She never 'did' anything to me since I was naturally small but obviously watching her obsession with her weight and growing up with such a 'perfect' mom in terms of body image rubbed off on me in not positive ways. Imagine what mine or my sister's attitude towards our weights would be if body image had been viewed differently in my house.

    She now has an under active thyroid and although she no longer has OCD in terms of food or exercise she still eats healthy and is active but is 'chubby' because her thyroid won't allow her to loose weight. I have friends with PCOS that can't loose weight no matter how hard they try and other friends that put on weight due to antidepressants. Both situations that are out of their hands, they can try and be as healthy as they want but the weight just isn't going to drop. I would gather that some with the attitude that they may be overweight but are healthy find themselves in these situations where they genuinely can't loose weight due to other medical issues.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 11-10-2015 at 17:07.

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanks
    2,301
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

    I don't diet as such but keep tabs on my weight and if it goes up a bit (eg over the holidays) I cut back calories for a couple of weeks to get back down to what I think is my ideal weight.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 11-10-2015 at 17:35.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,708
    Thanks
    893
    Thanked
    2,784
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'll raise my hand and admit I've had an eating disorder. It was never extreme to where anyone would notice I had really lost weight, or even noticed I really did it, but I used to binge and purge daily for about a year when I was 21/22. I actually think I will always have an eating disorder because although it doesn't affect my day to day life anymore I think about once a year I'll eat too much and think the answer is throwing it up to make myself feel better and avoid putting on those calories.

    I grew up with a mom who was OCD about her weight and fitness, I'm not exaggerating, she actually had OCD and it came out through cleaning and exercising/being obsessed with what she ate. She used to make my 'chubby' older sister exercise and diet, that sister is now obese/morbidly obese. She never 'did' anything to me since I was naturally small but obviously watching her obsession with her weight and growing up with such a 'perfect' mom in terms of body image rubbed off on me in not positive ways. Imagine what mine or my sister's attitude towards our weights would be if body image had been viewed differently in my house.

    She now has an under active thyroid and although she no longer has OCD in terms of food or exercise she still eats healthy and is active but is 'chubby' because her thyroid won't allow her to loose weight. I have friends with PCOS that can't loose weight no matter how hard they try and other friends that put on weight due to antidepressants. Both situations that are out of their hands, they can try and be as healthy as they want but the weight just isn't going to drop. I would gather that some with the attitude that they may be overweight but are healthy find themselves in these situations where they genuinely can't loose weight due to other medical issues.
    Then there are some like my mum who has an overactive thyroid, is overweight (not by a lot) and has convinced herself that she's one of the few people who put on weight with an overactive thyroid instead of accepting that she's menopausal, drinks wine, eats the same portion sizes as her 6"2 partner (she's 5 foot) and does absolutely zero exercise. She shifts the blame, like many do (many speaking from experience of people I know) instead of just accepting the fact she eats too much and doesn't move enough.

    I'm 5"7 and currently 68kgs. I'm trying to lose a few to get down to 65kgs where mum will tell me I look ill and my friends will tell me I look great. I have been overweight aside from pregnancy (86kgs when I was 23) and underweight when I was a teenager (52kgs at 15). I was around 72kgs in my mid- late twenties and have been in the mid-high sixties in my thirties/post kids. I have an ED which comes and goes, I try and do some physical activity every day, the bare minimum of which is a 5km walk with the dog, and I have counted calories for as long as I can remember. I put on weight very, very easily. I think there's an element of it all being in the too hard basket when it comes to weight loss and maintaining one's weight. I'd suggest a lot of people who are overweight or obese would look at what they *should* be eating in terms of portion sizes and calories and think no way, no way could I live on that, I'll starve. So it becomes too hard. Then the ones who have an ED and eat when they're sad/happy/depressed/bored. I've been in both camps. It is bloody hard for a lot of people to maintain a healthy weight. And emotional eating is real and so, so hard to stop doing. But at the end of the day, they're both not outside one's control.
    Last edited by Moxy; 11-10-2015 at 18:23.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

    meredithgreyxxx  (11-10-2015)

  5. #144
    FearlessLeader's Avatar
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    10,724
    Thanks
    2,498
    Thanked
    9,116
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It's an assumption that might not be correct that 90% of normal weight women undertook a diet at some point in their life because of the skinny ideal.

    Many mums undertake a diet after having had a baby for instance.

    I'd also think that the abundance of food has something to do with out need to diet.
    Big food marketing make us eat more than we need then we have to diet to stay in normal healthy range.

    All those reasons have nothing to do with skinny ideal.
    I've never really thought about this but I think you're absolutely spot on. We are inundated with opportunities to consume calories. Meeting friends for coffee, people bringing a plate for a play date, someone's birthday at work, someone baking and bringing things into the office to share, etc. I do my Saturday shifts with a guy who always stops to get us half a dozen jam donuts for the day. It's extremely hard to say no because it's rude, or people think you're weird or have some hang up about food if you say no.
    I'm finding the same is happening with the kids- people always want to give them treats and you feel like a weirdo for always saying 'please, don't' because it's constant. I would say at least 2/3 of social interaction involves being offered food or drink- and not the healthy stuff! The only explanation people understand is 'I'm watching my calories at the moment' because you do, constantly, whether you call it dieting or not, we all have to constantly refuse food.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

    almai  (12-10-2015),MummyBic  (12-10-2015)

  7. #145
    SpecialPatrolGroup's Avatar
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In the messy house, Brisbane
    Posts
    9,481
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanked
    5,405
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm really interested to see how this thread has panned out. I normally take weight threads very personally and have been known to take offence at much lighter people complaining about their weight. But I interpreted the op and asking which body types fit the clinical definitions of underweight, healthy, overweight, obese etc.

  8. #146
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,708
    Thanks
    893
    Thanked
    2,784
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I'm really interested to see how this thread has panned out. I normally take weight threads very personally and have been known to take offence at much lighter people complaining about their weight. But I interpreted the op and asking which body types fit the clinical definitions of underweight, healthy, overweight, obese etc.
    I'm one of those people who, when a friend who is lighter or slimmer complains about their weight, project my crap onto it and draw the assumption that they must think I'm fat given they think they are.

    I think though that as a society in general though we have a warped view now. For my relatives to tell me that I look ill at 65kgs is utterly ridiculous. For the same ones to say they have never seen me overweight when I most definitely have been, is also ridiculous. Whether it's because we don't want to hurt people's feelings or we are trying to protect our own feelings or we are just so used to seeing people carrying extra weight that it doesn't even register anymore, or maybe a combination of a while bunch of factors, at the end of the day on the whole we're too blasé about the impact being overweight or obese has. Someone mentioned earlier that this generation of kids is more likely to die earlier than their parents because of obesity related illnesses. That's horrifying. But because it's happening over a long period of time and they're not all going to die at the same time, it's a difficult concept to grasp and it's easy to pretend it's not real. A quarter of children in Australia are overweight or obese. It's a third in the U.S and we're catching up. It has doubled in recent years, so the rise hasn't been slow. At the end of the day, adults are modelling lifestyles for the kids of today. Normalising obesity or being overweight isn't doing anyone any favours.

    Please don't anyone accuse me of fat shaming. I'm not. There's a world of difference between fat shaming and taking the facts at face value.

  9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (11-10-2015),Frankenmum  (11-10-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (11-10-2015),NoteToSelf  (11-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2015),SoThisIsLove  (11-10-2015),SpecialPatrolGroup  (11-10-2015),SuperGranny  (16-11-2015),Tiny Dancer  (11-10-2015)

  10. #147
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting thread and to hear peoples perspectives.

    I am 5.2 in height and weigh the same as I did before I was pregnant with my first child over 8 years ago. I am in the healthy BMI range. I eat well generally and not because I obsess with food, eating too much fatty and sugary foods make me feel bloaty and unhealthy which is why I mostly avoid them but if i do have the urge I will indulge. I exercise in moderation, I have no health issues, my bones aren't sticking out, I feel good within myself. I am healthy. Some would disagree when my weight is 48kgs such as my aunty who always picks me which I assume is because she has always battled with her weight being overweight. I have always been small with a muscular build.

    I was appalled with the earlier pic of the model told she is too fat. Seriously.. the modelling industry is aweful. Watching models on tv makes me sad because a majority of them are seriously very obviously underweight which isn't a good look.

  11. #148
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

    I wonder at two things that may affect obesity, genetics and women talking fertility drugs, especially those with pcos.

    There seem to be more and more women undertaking IVF and other fertility treatment and for a lot, this adversely effects weight. I know for me it does because I'd be pushing obese, yet I spent a good part of 8 months living in 1200 calories a day, working out with weights and cardio, very clean living and almost zero sugar, yet I cannot loose more than 1-2 kg's. Even my personal trainer who scrutinises my diet, where I log e every bite, can't work it out. Calories in calories out, just doesn't work. I know quite a few women in the same boat, working their hearts out at the gym, eating clean yet hormones from PCOS or IVF meds wreak havoc on their weight.

    I also do think some people are simply pre disposed to not store extra weight. I have a couple of friends, have never seen a gym, eat a normal diet but indulge in wine/cake/ice cream when they want and are still a size 8.

    So I do think that some people especially women, are predisposed to be overweight or they have to work so hard to loose it.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (11-10-2015)

  13. #149
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting re the IVF drugs causing weight gain theory. While they make you feel crappy while on them generally, probably more temporary bloatedness rather than weight gain I would think but there wouldn't be a reason to gain weight and keep it on I wouldn't have thought just by reading the side effects information on fertility drugs along the way. Comfort eating due to hormones and stress would be a factor for some maybe.
    I agree with genetics playing a part and I also think age plays a part for some. I have known some to gain weight with age, in fact my bf I saw recently after a long time has put on alot of weight and she cannot understand why as she has always been a small build, she puts it down to turning 45.

  14. #150
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Spin off : what does obese look like?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    Interesting re the IVF drugs causing weight gain theory. While they make you feel crappy while on them generally, probably more temporary bloatedness rather than weight gain I would think but there wouldn't be a reason to gain weight and keep it on I wouldn't have thought just by reading the side effects information on fertility drugs along the way. Comfort eating due to hormones and stress would be a factor for some maybe.
    .
    Everyone is different, I know many people who have put weight on quickly that doesn't come off. I put 4.5 kg on in 2 weeks on one round of Clomid alone. That's eating 1200 calories a day (with zero carbs and almost zero sugar. I don't even look at pasta or bread 90% of the time). Working out 3-4 times a week. I gained 2kg doing my latest round of Gonal f jabs and that was with a bout of food poisoning where I didn't eat anything for 3 days. For some women, they def stack weight on which feels impossible to loose.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (11-10-2015),misskittyfantastico  (11-10-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-10-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. obese and pregnant :'(
    By sammymac in forum Pregnancy Health Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 14:18
  2. Obese pregnancies to 'skinny' pregnancy
    By MrsIsMe in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 12:41
  3. Spin off - how to help
    By maternidade in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 28-11-2014, 13:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Super soft, fun prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton plus non-toxic wooden toys. • Hypoallergenic - perfect for eczema relief • Everything needed to shop for a baby shower • 10% off + FREE gift with purchase. Use code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Mini Maestros
Nurturing Confident Learners. Mini Maestros offers music classes for children 6 months to 5 years of age. It is the longest running and most successful Australian business of its kind.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!